Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 06:32 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,838 times

Advertisements

I am currently helping my parents (my mom and step-dad) build their retirement house. My mom is retired (disabled at 59, due to arthritic thumb joints) and my step-dad will be retiring at the end of this year. They have just closed on two acres of property where they plan to build it. I have been scouring the internet for house plans than meet their requirements (master bedroom at least 15' x 16' with large walk-in closet, covered rear porch or screened porch, one-story with basement, 1500-1700 square feet). We're still sifting through the ones that could potentially work....

As were were looking at some of the latest plans I found a few days ago, my mom told me that she does NOT want white trim on the interior. The house will have crown molding in most rooms, probably chair railing (or wainscoting) in the breakfast nook and/or dining room and obviously doors, door frames, baseboards and shoe molding (where needed). She want to paint the walls a color very close to what they currently have. I would describe it as a light-medium khaki.

What trim color would look good with walls painted that color? I've seen trim painted various shades of khaki, grey and even olive green, but the walls were always the standard issue white that you find in most new homes. I'm just trying to think ahead and get some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 08:48 PM

70 posts, read 79,938 times
Interior Trim Color Home Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor

Old 05-12-2016, 03:59 PM

211 posts, read 451,434 times
A dark grey or navy would look stunning but not with khaki walls.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
You can use a cream color with khaki. Or you could have wood grained trim.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:20 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Why does the trim need to be painted?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You can use a cream color with khaki. Or you could have wood grained trim.
Their previous home had oak trim/doors throughout. I remember the endless hours required to apply three coats of stain and two coats of polyurethane....I don't think any of us could or would go through that again. Even though it was much more expensive than using regular trim and doors, they never really liked the look of it (and neither did I)!

If the walls are on the darker/deeper end of the khaki spectrum, I think a light creme colored trim would be beautiful. After showing her some examples online, this is the way my mom wants to go (at least for the moment....it could easily change before we reach that point in construction).

She has also decided that she doesn't want white exterior trim either. Again, I'm thinking that beige or 'off-white' will be her best bet. She plans on the house being painted a deep green or brown.

We have it narrowed down to four different house plans finally. Three of them are "Craftsman-style" and one of those has beautiful medium-dark wood-look shutters and accents on the exterior. A few also have wood-look shake/shingle accents (on one or more of the front gables) that are actually cement-fiber (Hardiplank). I like the combination of textures and colors and think it makes the house far more visually appealing.

My best friend moved to Pittsburgh (from our native Atlanta) last August. He bought a custom home (where the owners planned to retire, but the wife was transferred in February 2015 to another city). It has a combination of dark red brick (with charcoal gray mortar), dark red Hardiplank siding, gray Hardiplank wood-look shingle accents and some white trim. It sounds like it would look very 'busy' (aka- "tacky") but the execution is really beautiful.

The weirdest thing is that the house had NO crown moulding at all. It had pocket doors for the master bedroom, bathroom and closets; custom kitchen with dual ovens and Sub-Zero fridge, and even a built-in bar with a wine chiller and separate sink. The dining room has wainscoting with a door hidden for storing table leaves. But they didn't install crown moulding!??!? He recently rectified that and had it installed in every room (even the laundry room). The bathroom cabinets are a light olive green and he went with the same color for the master bed/bath trim and it looks amazing!

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions!

Old 05-15-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Why does the trim need to be painted?
What alternative would there be to painting (unless it's real wood) or staining if it is real wood?

Old 05-16-2016, 03:48 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
What alternative would there be to painting (unless it's real wood) or staining if it is real wood?
Yes, that was my point. Why wouldn't the trim be real wood that doesn't have to be painted? What else is there?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:38 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
She could go two or three shades lighter than the wall color itself.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:07 PM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times
I've always been a fan of white trim, or some variant of white. Not a fan or any stained wood for maintenance reasons unless it's specific to a style, like an old Craftsman bungalow. Recently walked a new construction where they just sprayed the trim and walls the same color and sheen. It looked 'lazy' to me, in an otherwise nicely detailed house. Maybe the owners wanted it that way... but as a buyer, I'd be seeing all that trim I needed to paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum