Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 09:05 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times

Advertisements

I'm putting this here because I don't know where else to put it, although I suppose it could go under Retirement or Health or even Government. If it should be elsewhere, I apologize and ask that it be moved to the proper forum.

I have a physical problem that doesn't show, Ehler's Danlos Syndrome. I look normal, but due to a genetic disorder, the collagen my body produces is weaker than normal. Because of this, my joints tend to be loose, my ankles are very weak, and I tend to be a bit wobbly when I walk. Balance is always a problem, and I have a harder time than most on slick surfaces and inclines.

Steps are no problem, but I have a very difficult time on ramps, both going up and down. That's just how it is for me and I have gotten used to it, but I have run into a difficulty since our local library renovated its front entrance. This library originally had a few shallow, broad front steps (like maybe six or seven steps, wide enough for four or five people abreast), and a ramp to the side that could easily have two people (or one wheelchair and one ambulatory person) abreast on it. A year ago, they replaced all the steps with a second ramp. Both ramps are are surfaced in a slick painted concrete that is slippery even just in rain, let alone in winter weather.

If there has been a snowfall or freezing rain, it takes me a long, anxious time getting up or down either of these ramps. I have to hold tight to the railing and inch my way up or down. Then when the main entrance area is reached, there is a large expanse of this slippery painted surface, with no railings. I asked inside, and was told there is no other entrance I can use. I did tell the librarian in a nice way that at some point I fear someone is going to get hurt. A lot of elderly people use this library, and even if you get up the ramp okay there is still this huge expanse of slippery area within nothing to hold onto.

I was very surprised that whoever painted the ramps and entrance area didn't even use a non slip paint. It is scary for me to try to get to the library now and winter lasts a long time here in Wisconsin.

This change has made the library far less accessible for me. I was also wondering how on earth a person on crutches could make it up this long, slippery ramp. Does a city have an obligation to make their library accessible to those of us who are not in wheelchairs, but have other ambulatory situations that make ramps difficult for us?

Please, no sarcasm. There is no cure or medication for my situation, and I have lived in some amount of pain and/or injury every day of my life with this condition. Over the years, wherever I have lived and no matter how much pain I was experiencing, my local library has been one of my main sources of diversion and comfort. This isn't a life or death situation, I know, but it has made my days feel a little less comfortable and fun in the winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 08:38 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I doubt there is much you can do about the ramps, themselves. But, it sounds like they didn't use a slip-resistant sealer, when they finished the concrete. I'm not sure who to you would complain to, but that should probably be addressed.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:46 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Don't know about the ramps, but wonder if they used an epoxy coating on the entrance. It's easy to clean, but slippery as snot when wet. We had some of our floors coated with that at work and if rain gets in the overhead door, you have to move gingerly on it.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
I would contact the local county Council on Aging and Disabilities and express your concerns. While they may or may be able be able to do anything directly I bet that they can refer you the proper government agency for help.

Another idea is to go to city hall and talk to them, perhaps the city planning department or the city engineer. Depending on how assertive and persistent you are you could go by yourself or go with one of two other people who have had problems at the library.

Sometimes, calling your alderman (city council man/alderperson/whatever) can be very effective or even contacting the local office of your congressman.

If none of these work, you can always contact your local newspaper or TV station.

Our adult daughter had a complaint about a safety issue in our area and called city hall several times and was basically ignored. But, after she visited city hall in person, the issue was taken care of very quickly. They told her "lots of people call or write to complain about things, but we don't really take them seriously unless they make the time to come in person." Sad but true.

It sounds like they need non-slip paint or sections of rough or heavily textured coatings, plus a railing on the flat area.

Good luck.

PS. I noticed that you live in Wisconsin, so do I. If desired please DM me with the name of the city and library and I might be able to come up with some more ideas.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-24-2016 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum