Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:54 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
Here's a new-build here in OKC. What do you guys think of it? I like it overall.

(From Oklahoma County Assessor)
I personally think its kitsch and very lame. Actual castles are interesting due to their highly functional purpose and historical significance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 04:17 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
I'm a draftsperson, I draw up a lot of house plans. One of my upcoming clients wants a very small castle. A light and airy fairy castle. In a small size. A turret on each corner and some sort of central something in the middle. We will see how it looks once drawings actually start to happen, so far it's still at the dreaming stage. But, I'm just the hired pencil, they tell me what they want and I try to draw it to code. We will see what happens with this one. I must admit, it's the first castle anyone has wanted.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I personally think its kitsch and very lame. Actual castles are interesting due to their highly functional purpose and historical significance.
There are good modern (19th and 20th century) examples of gothic revival architecture, but they slavishly borrow the proportions, materials, and skill of construction of their functional ancestors. Whether they appeal you one's subjective taste or not is another matter.

Lyndhurst Manor, NY

Old 05-22-2017, 09:30 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm a draftsperson, I draw up a lot of house plans. One of my upcoming clients wants a very small castle. A light and airy fairy castle. In a small size. A turret on each corner and some sort of central something in the middle. We will see how it looks once drawings actually start to happen, so far it's still at the dreaming stage. But, I'm just the hired pencil, they tell me what they want and I try to draw it to code. We will see what happens with this one. I must admit, it's the first castle anyone has wanted.
A central hall with a massive fireplace.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:10 AM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They want a castle in Hawaii? That seems like exactly the wrong type of architecture for comfortable living there.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times
That's a great name for it. There's a golf course not to far from me with a huge stone castle that was built in 1999. It doesn't have the charm of an older castle. I took this picture of it.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:33 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are good modern (19th and 20th century) examples of gothic revival architecture, but they slavishly borrow the proportions, materials, and skill of construction of their functional ancestors. Whether they appeal you one's subjective taste or not is another matter.

Lyndhurst Manor, NY
Oh I think of that as a legit castle. It doesn't look like a cheaper imitation IMO like the one I posted in my previous reply.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
That's a great name for it. There's a golf course not to far from me with a huge stone castle that was built in 1999. It doesn't have the charm of an older castle. I took this picture of it.
Horrid. Money sure doesn't buy class.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:32 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I like this one. Wouldn't want to live in it, but it has its charms

Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 PM

581 posts, read 455,918 times
It's funny because I've toured real castles in Europe and they're miserable, dank, dark places. Why anybody would want to live in a replica is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum