Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 04:55 AM

420 posts, read 469,169 times

Advertisements

The home is over 100 years old. The building seem in stable condition except half the rear part of the house is structurally crooked, like it's about to give in or fall apart. It's bricks. Now wonder half the rear side of the house has a wet spot as if the roof either has a leak and or something made the bricks "rot" or deteriorate from steady water source that was either trapped around the crevices. Who knows. Can just this side of the house be fixed without doing the entire structure? It looks as if the entire half of the rear of the house (made of bricks) is slanted/crooked. Was the steel supporting it structurally the issue here? I've seen buildings being built that always has steel structures before bricks are layered all over.

How much do these type of work usually cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 01:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
What's the temperature in Tokyo, that's actually an easier question. With no pics, no actual dimensions to guess by, you're not going to get any kind of answer. Can a structural issue be fixed? Yes, as long as you have pockets deep enough to pay for it. Brick, in most applications, is not a structural component, it is a cosmetic. Brick doesn't even stop rain water, hence the weepholes that you'll find at the bottom of the wall. Can it be fixed? Sure, as long as you have the deep pockets, anything can be fixed.

Your best friend right now would be a structural engineer. He can evaluate it and give you the right answers. Most commonly around here, the initial inspection would cost about $350-500.00. The engineered repair schedule and follow up inspections adds to the bill but it's not a crippling debt. Depending on the size of the job, the same engineer can recommend a GC to do the entire project and give you a quote- no guess work.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:35 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
We don't even know if the bricks are there as load bearing wall or if they can be removed without any problems

I can take out all the walls and not have structural problems on house, the walls aren't there to hold house up

there might be a sink hole forming? if the steel beams are sinking into the ground from the earthquakes/time softening/eroding the soil

Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
A 100 year old house may well have solid, structural brick walls rather than simply a brick veneer. Typically 2 or more courses in depth. If that's the case you may have some very expensive repairs to do.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:44 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,272,145 times
Have someone take a look at it. It just might be worth saving. Here in the deep South there is a saying that a house either has termites, or will have termites. My house is one of the haves. I thought it would be a teardown. A contractor looked at it and told me it could be repaired. What I thought was hopeless damage turned out to be some structural damage, and some cosmetic. It will cost around $5,000. But, I will be able to salvage the house. The termites entered thru an expansion joint between the house and porch. I thought the expansion joint was made of treated wood. Obviously, it wasn't.

Get an estimate. Then make a decision.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:42 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm curious how much (estimate) it is to fix the roof of a 900 sq ft house? I guess replace rather than fix is a better term to make it all new, nice and shiny.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,272,145 times
When talking about roofs, I was told it depends on the number of peaks and valleys. The simpler the roof, the less it will cost.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM

I wonder if the ex-owner of the house I speak of that had water damage could have taken better care of the issue by getting a waterproofing service? I noticed there were plaster looking lines on the edges of the concrete sidewalks as if there were attempts to keep water from damaging the specific sides of the house in the basement and the backside of the house (first and second floors), but it may have been done poorly or was not salvageable.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:28 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,400,208 times
I just got my roof done, and it was approximately $8 per sq foot. So in the $7000 range for a 900 sq ft house.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:23 AM

Wow! Was it a high end shingle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I just got my roof done, and it was approximately $8 per sq foot. So in the $7000 range for a 900 sq ft house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum