Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 PM

70 posts, read 79,921 times

Advertisements

Don't know if this is the right place for this question or not. My question is whether slate roofing can have granular loss. When I google or try to research granular loss, the only info that comes up is for asphalt shingles. Anyone know about slate roofing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:43 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
You're not finding any info in regards to granules with slate roofing because it doesn't have any granules. The downside to using slate for a roof primarily is cost. If that doesn't bother you, it cannot be used as a second roof on a house that previously had asphalt based roofing. The house must be purposely built for slate roofing. The issue is with weight. Slate weighs about 6 times more than asphalt roofs- it's incredibly heavy. So if the house has never had slate roofing and it's already built, you can't use it. Another downside to slate, if your area has hail- you don't want it. Slate is extremely easy to damage. Even a kid throwing a ball on the roof can damage slate roofing. Then you have the issue of finding somebody that has a clue how to install it. In my area, San Antonio, there is nobody here qualified to install slate roofing. There are companies installing it locally, no doubt, but it usually it ends up being a wreck. Make sure whoever you hire to install it has been doing it for decades and actually has the experience and expertise to install it. It's not a simple install and get it right.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:30 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You're not finding any info in regards to granules with slate roofing because it doesn't have any granules. The downside to using slate for a roof primarily is cost. If that doesn't bother you, it cannot be used as a second roof on a house that previously had asphalt based roofing. The house must be purposely built for slate roofing. The issue is with weight. Slate weighs about 6 times more than asphalt roofs- it's incredibly heavy. So if the house has never had slate roofing and it's already built, you can't use it. Another downside to slate, if your area has hail- you don't want it. Slate is extremely easy to damage. Even a kid throwing a ball on the roof can damage slate roofing. Then you have the issue of finding somebody that has a clue how to install it. In my area, San Antonio, there is nobody here qualified to install slate roofing. There are companies installing it locally, no doubt, but it usually it ends up being a wreck. Make sure whoever you hire to install it has been doing it for decades and actually has the experience and expertise to install it. It's not a simple install and get it right.

Slate roofing is common all over Wales and England - they get plenty of hail. I remember living in a slate roofed house as a kid - slate roofs last for decades once installed. There were houses where I lived that were Victorian and still had original slate roofs.

Hail damage?
Perhaps its a different kind of slate used in the US vs. Europe?

Old 01-19-2018, 02:31 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
I think I found the answer - unusually large hail or soft PA type slate:

" Although slate tends to be durable and resistant to hail damage, there are three primary conditions that will maximize hail damage to a slate roof: 1) very large hail; 2) thin, soft or deteriorated slates that are relatively fragile (such as older Pennsylvania soft black slates); and 3) slates installed in a “side-lap” style where much of the roof has only a single layer of slate. "

Old 01-19-2018, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I had to renew my homeowner insurance policy and now I am being told my roof has "granular loss" and the insurance company is declining coverage. I asked how was the roof inspected and was told the review company has great camera equipment. So, I will be getting someone to look at my slate roof to get a professional opinion.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynel View Post
Thanks for the info. I had to renew my homeowner insurance policy and now I am being told my roof has "granular loss" and the insurance company is declining coverage. I asked how was the roof inspected and was told the review company has great camera equipment. So, I will be getting someone to look at my slate roof to get a professional opinion.
They obviously don’t know you have a slate roof. You need to inform them of that. Slate roofs do not have granular loss. You need to tell them that. Jay

Old 01-21-2018, 10:41 PM

They know I have a slate roof, on the report it is listed as slate. One more thing I have to fight with the insurance company about.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:36 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Do you live in an area where they are trying to get rid of customers due to high loss area?

Old 02-11-2018, 07:18 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times
I am not an expert on any technical or legal definition of 'granular loss' but slate can delaminate and become more porous as it ages. But I agree with other opinions that this term seems misaligned with slate roofs or how slate roofs age. I don't know if they've detected degradation to the surface and are using this term, even if imprecise.

I've owned a home with 120 year old original Welsh slate, by the way. Given a 100% clean bill of health.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:26 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Not relevant to the OP but it is possible to brace a home for a heavier roof than the home was originally designed for. Many slate (and heavy tile or concrete) roofed homes have loft/attic conversions and had to have re-engineered bracing for the weight of the roof. I know that's not exactly your point but it's the same principle as the weight often needs to be handled in a very different way. That's very common in England. Another issue is from around the 50s-60's era when some people replaced slate with concrete roofs. Slate is a lightweight roofing material compared to concrete. Unfortunately, many were not braced properly and sagging and structural problems resulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum