Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 02:18 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is real slate. There were no fake slates back then and people cared about quality and durability unlike today. Jay
I wasn't sure if the owners didn't like how the wood siding looked and put either real or fake slate on at some point later but I think you're probably right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:46 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I wasn't sure if the owners didn't like how the wood siding looked and put either real or fake slate on at some point later but I think you're probably right.
It looks original to me. Jay

Old 10-02-2018, 02:50 AM

93 posts, read 66,192 times
Quote:
Is there enough support for dormers to have slate siding? I occasionally see ones like this but I'm not sure if they're real slate. If the material is real slate, I assume it was much more expensive than wood siding.

Slate shingles usually hang on a timber frame. Although slate obviously weighs more, it is very similar in construction concept to using wood shingles. Roof structures in houses with slate roofs are stronger to allow them to hold the weight. No different for dormers with slate roofs or slate sides. Just a strong enough frame to accommodate the weight.

Brick, however, is not "hung on" a frame so uses completely different construction techniques. So it's not just the weight of the material but how the construction is done based on the nature of the materials.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:22 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,129,954 times
My house is brick built in 1929 and it now has vinyl siding up in the dormers, but it was and still is brick underneath. on the front and back, third floor they removed the original large windows and replaced with much smaller ones, that left area needing to be covered that used to be window, so they put up the vinyl siding over where the windows were .

Around here there are plenty of brick houses where the brick does not have any other siding at all.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:58 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
My house is brick built in 1929 and it now has vinyl siding up in the dormers, but it was and still is brick underneath. on the front and back, third floor they removed the original large windows and replaced with much smaller ones, that left area needing to be covered that used to be window, so they put up the vinyl siding over where the windows were .

Around here there are plenty of brick houses where the brick does not have any other siding at all.
Are you sure it's vinyl and not wood or hardboard? Depending on when the work was done, it may not be vinyl.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:49 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,129,954 times
Quote:
Are you sure it's vinyl and not wood or hardboard? Depending on when the work was done, it may not be vinyl.
It is absolutely vinyl. and it was done shortly before we bought the place. It was owned by an elderly real estate agent, and the city had actually condemned it, but she did the work to bring it up to code, new electrical and plumbing and changed out those third floor windows and put up the vinyl siding in the eves. She also did some rather unprofessional "fixes" on the interior walls and ceiling. She was over 70 and did much of this work herself, or got Friends to help her.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
New houses? Because 405 of people like brick and 60% like siding, so they use those proportions (or whatever the proportions are - sometimes they toss in other materials too e.g. brick, siding, stucco. Or brick, stone, stucco siding.

Older houses? Usually because they were added on to and the original house cannot support a brick addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum