Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,332 times

Advertisements

G'day Folks,
First post but reading here looks like a friendly bunch of people.

I'm in Australia(born and bred) and renovating my Grandmother's 1938 California bungalow that I now own.

The interior is heavily influenced by Art Deco with ceiling moulds, cornices etc.

The exterior is less so. Except for a square four column portico leading to the front door. 2.3m square (7.5' in the old measurements)

I'm trying to decide of a roof material and roof design to replace the old corrugated fibreglass.

I was toying with the idea of a glass pyramid. Something like this

credit astralsystems.com.au
[url]https://assets.cdn.thewebconsole.com/wh/1632/gallery/4e140a862e094.jpg[/url]

My thought process is the geometry and the focus something like this might bring. It's not necessarily Art Deco but a nod in that direction.

I should add glass is a really important element in this house. My grandfather was a lead light artist and all the windows in the house were made by him.

I had an idea that at some point in the future I might make a lead light ceiling for the portico as my contribution to the family house.

At this stage I could be completely turned around by another good idea but I'm hoping you fine folks might have some inspiration you can forward my way.

kind regards

Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Pictures?

I find it unusual that a ‘38 California bungalow has much in the way of Art Deco detailing but it’s possible. I’ve done a couple of renovations on some similar vintage Streamline Moderne houses but no Art Deco. The detailing is so specific you don’t want to wander into other similar styles haphazardly - Moderne/Nouveau- if Art Deco is what you’ve actually got.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,332 times
Thanks for the reply. Point taken.

You're right which is why the issue has arisen. Looking at a weatherboard California bungalow it's not my idea of Art Deco architecture except the portico.

However the ceiling panels, cornices and the original furniture are 100% Art Deco. My Grandmother was born in 1899 and was a professional dress maker. She always wore 20's and 30's fashion throughout her life so, at the very least her decor choices were heavily influenced by Art Deco.

I will get some photo's and add them for reference.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:09 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Is the house located in a Historic District? That could determine what you can and can't do to the home. Where is the fiberglass roof you are trying to replace? If it is on the front of the house, that pyramid style skylight would look very out of place. You should look at something less visible. If in the back, it may not be so noticeable but still may look out of place. What is the roof on the rest of the house? I would try to match that with any new roof on a porch or addition. The idea is to blend the new roof into the old as best possible. Still you might consider a standing seam metal roof in a complimenting color. Lots of options. Up to you what looks best. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum