Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,000 times

Advertisements

I was walking with my sister through her neighborhood taking our dogs for a walk. Her neighborhood is in an upscale area but is old and has a lot of ramblers that have been torn down and rebuilt with much larger homes typically referred to as McMansions. She pointed to one and asked me if I thought it was a teardown. I said yes. It obviously was because you could tell by the new, larger construction footprint and addition of 2nd floor. The existing ramblers were smaller with only one floor and a basement.
She claimed I was wrong because some of the 1st floor walls were preserved in the new home.
I asked her what was her definition of "teardown" was and she said when the whole existing house is torn down to the slab and ground. I told her that you don't have to tear down the whole existing home down to the slab to classify it as a teardown. I stated that if a significant amount of the existing home is demolished and rebuilt, it's a teardown.
And the argument ensued and as sibling arguments tend to do, it morphed into a shouting match sprinkled with obscenities and insults. I know it sounds petty but you know how sibling debates can go ballistic.

Which one of us is (more) right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 03:29 PM

34,919 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Oh my, such a fuss over a word. I don’t think there is a strict definition of teardown. To some it means that you tear down an old home and build a completely new one in its place. To others it’s where you tear down most of an old house and rebuild and expand what’s there. I don’t think either of you are wrong or that one of you is more right than the other. Jay

Old 04-24-2020, 10:02 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,515,483 times
I agree with JayCT about a teardown. Sometimes cities require the replacement home be built on the same footprint as the home torn down, and owners will build up.

I've seen people in some very in demand inner city neighborhoods go in and buy two houses side by side and tear them both down--and rebuild on both lots. There again, I've seen people tear down homes and completely cover the old lot in a house--no yard left.

It all varies.

Me personally? Give me some room in both the house and the yard.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:19 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
There probably is a legal definition that covers adding on or improving a house verses tearing it down and starting from scratch. It may change the status for the approval process, especially if you do it in stages.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:21 AM

6,358 posts, read 4,179,709 times
Yes, a tear down is referred to as a complete demo regardless if the foundation is removed, left or added to.
A house or structure that is 90% removed (depending on the town) usually qualifies legally for an alteration and the tax basis is often different than a complete demo.

This is why you occasionally see a demolished house where just a few walls or a floor deck was left remaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum