Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Trends Are Going To Fade
Open Concept - Kitchen, Dining & Living Areas 28 41.79%
Free Standing Tub and Shower in the Same Space 12 17.91%
Fake Electric Fireplaces 17 25.37%
Massive Master Suites 10 14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 06:23 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMMXXII View Post
I was told hardwood floor is a dying trend as well after 30 years.

“After 30 years” IS NOT A TREND! That’s a staple! And it’s still a staple for the foreseeable future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 06:46 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMMXXII View Post
I was told hardwood floor is a dying trend as well after 30 years. As an apartment renter I am happy to hear that because hardwood floor is far more noisy! You drop a phone and it sounds like 50 pounds!
30 years? How old are you?

Houses and apartments have been built with plain wood floors for at least 400 years.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:45 PM

50 posts, read 33,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
30 years? How old are you?

Houses and apartments have been built with plain wood floors for at least 400 years.
Years ago hardwood floors were the standard in homes and apartments, then carpet was popular for about 50 years, then it went back to hardwood back in the 1990s, now I was told carpet is the next trend of the 20's.

But I know what you are saying. I think if there was a way to make hardwood floors in shared communities not as loud I would not mind them as much.

Everything is just so much louder, and my neighbors are only doing normal daily routine things. I was told concrete flooring is best for avoiding noise in apartments and condominiums, but I rarely have ever seen any listed in my area to rent. Not even sure they exist here in Southern California.

Old 01-18-2023, 12:47 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Please share with us the secret to your fantastic longevity.

fat fingers make everything last longer.

Old 01-18-2023, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Regardless of what HGTV is pushing, not enough people watch to change the trends of the homeowners, and even some that watch don't follow their trends for their own homes. For example we hate granite counter tops, and are in the process of replacing ours with Quartz.

Open concept, for example has been around for 40 years, and people just like it. Our house was built in 1978 and is open concept. The electric fireplace is definitely not the same as wood or even gas, but that will continue, not only because so many people are lazy but the current government efforts to ban natural gas and promote electrification. Our master suite is about 400 sf and I have always wondered why, we only sleep in it (well, maybe something else but it's still usually at night in the bed). It seems a waste, better to have the kids rooms larger since they always spent mo0re time in there with homework and hanging out.
Tub and shower is ideal but many bathrooms don't have room, and as costs get higher and higher not many will be able to afford that.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
...(well, maybe something else but it's still usually at night in the bed).

Oh surely you jest!?
With a room that size???
I add one of "those" hanging chairs. Maybe a brass pole?

Old 01-18-2023, 02:50 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
And my experience has been completely different than that. At any rate, it's not a new trend and has been around in one form or another for hundreds of years, especially in smaller homes. See some of the '50s examples attached... There are open straight spaces and open L shapes spaces. I lived in a '50s home with an open L shaped space (with the dining room at the corner of the L). Small homes tend to do that to maximize floor space without having rooms that are to tiny.

I'm not talking simple floor joists. I'm talking the oversized beams necessary to span large open areas without pillars or being visible in the room. Engineering definitely does have to be done to make sure upper floors don't fall into the open space. When we did my addition, there was engineering done with engineered beams in the garage so that there weren't any posts in it supporting the beams that supported the upper floor. 117 years later, nothing has settled, due to the engineering done.
Well historically speaking, if you had an "open" floorplan, a couple hundred years ago, you were probably simply very poor. It of course cost more money to have a house with a separate kitchen, parlor, etc. Walking into a house in 1800 with the front door opening into one large room used as kitchen, "living room" (not a term back then) etc., would have screamed poverty to a visitor. But perhaps it's part of the long term trend of people's homes simply becoming lower and lower in quality as average people can't afford quality any longer. I mean compare the woodwork and finishing of a typical house from 1850 to 1950 to now. Just price out finishing a modern house in a historically accurate way with all the nice hardwood casing and baseboards, plaster walls, wood floors, rail and stile construction wood doors, etc.

Again, I am speaking as someone who has built a house, and who is well versed on the subject. You can size a floor joist very easily to a span. Longer span, larger dimensions for the lumber. And obviously modern i-joists and lvl have their own span charts. Settling on the floor joists for my house was simple. Check a span table and I was done. If you're familiar with timber framing as well you will also know that timbers can be used in ways modern stick framers may not use them (i.e., a timber can be used such that its widest dimension is resting on the walls below rather than its narrow dimension). Timber framing follows very traditional rules and there isn't a need for an engineer really unless you live in a place requiring engineers be involved.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:42 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I mean compare the woodwork and finishing of a typical house from 1850 to 1950 to now. Just price out finishing a modern house in a historically accurate way with all the nice hardwood casing and baseboards, plaster walls, wood floors, rail and stile construction wood doors, etc.
Oh I know, the basic house I'm in was built in 1932, with real dimensional lumber (which feels petrified right now, from how hard it was to cut to put in attic access) and wood trim that was still not prefab.

Quote:
Timber framing follows very traditional rules and there isn't a need for an engineer really unless you live in a place requiring engineers be involved.
Yes, the addition was 600 SF over a 2 1/2 car garage and engineering was required to be done by the county. Can't just say, Oh, here's the beam size for the span, it needed engineering sign off showing that it could support the wight of the upper floor and upper walls. And I'd want that for any open span with a floor above, as well as engineering beams to replace load bearing walls in a remodel.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:55 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,121 times
All white "hospital room" kitchens?

Old 01-19-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
All white "hospital room" kitchens?
That was back in the late 90's-
They're a "trend" again- NOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum