U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2009, 09:11 AM

2,528 posts, read 4,901,901 times

Advertisements

I look online and visit in person old church buildings. In places like PA, Upstate NY, Detriot one can purchase them for a song. Even know a few in Texas.

Does anyone have a similar interest?

There are even some church complexes for sale but I don't have a use for 3-4 buildings by myself
Attached Thumbnails
Buying old churches - cheap great architecture-28933376.untitledfoldervisitation.jpg   Buying old churches - cheap great architecture-4603976st-joe-300k_1.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 AM

14,546 posts, read 23,172,866 times
I have seen several smaller old churches around here converted to homes. I know they have converted some larger churches in Boston to multiple unit housing. This looks pretty cool from the pictures I saw. Jay

Old 02-15-2009, 10:00 AM

43,861 posts, read 27,759,153 times
If I had the money....I sure would.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 PM

261 posts, read 435,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I look online and visit in person old church buildings. In places like PA, Upstate NY, Detriot one can purchase them for a song.
There are quite a few of them (and old banks, old schools, theaters) here in rural PA, but unfortunately they are money pits if you want to convert them for residential use.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 AM

31 posts, read 59,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
There are quite a few of them (and old banks, old schools, theaters) here in rural PA, but unfortunately they are money pits if you want to convert them for residential use.
Oh, would you be so kind to elaborate this? I consider right now to invest in condo in the previous chirch building, very cheap, lot of space, great building, divided to 4 units. What scarried me a bit- there is only one owner now, another 3 units are in foreclosure. So what are the major contra? Thanks.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Irma this is more about finding a church and making it into a residence- your question would be better answered in the many condo threads. I don't know what you should do - maybe buy all 4 units cheaply and then sell them when the market improves.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM

540 posts, read 759,830 times
I find something very depressing about converting a church into a domicile. For a place to have served a community and been such a happy place... Even if a church expanded into a much needed larger space, there's just something of a sadness in seeing such a place held holy or sacred by so many converted into condos. It's just not right in my mind.

It's my hang-up. I freely admit that. But I know I'm not unique in that regard.

I guess it's better than letting amazing old buildings fall into disrepair. Still....

Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 PM

well martel you could always buy one and keep the tax benefit by letting it be used as a church for free.

There are other ways of looking at it too. An unused church will in all places I know still be exempt for real estate taxes. This means everyone else -even those who do not believe in God - have been and will be paying for their services and their taxes.

Someone who makes a church into a dwelling adds to the tax rolls immediately and in most of these places - that are economically depressed -that's a big plus to the community.

Finally - as you may see in Buffalo and Detroit- the church does not take care of their buidings after they leave. Do a google search of St Matthews on Ferry St in Buffalo. Beautiful building and a few years ago it was selling for $89k cheap! - the condition kept declining ( frankly it was in a poor Black neighborhood and I don't think the Diocese cared about its upkeep) until finally I saw a story of it being offered, and maybe bought for $1.

Someone who buys and restores an old church helps the community in many ways the church couldn't!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 AM

364 posts, read 820,459 times
I have been looking at old churches to turn into a residence for three years, and I love them. I think I would feel very happy in a former church, as if I were reaping blessings from all the former congregants. I think it would be a blessed place to live.

There is an old church and an old elementary school that I have my eye on right now. What keeps us from actually going ahead with a purchase, tho, is the cost to heat these places. It must be astronomical!

DH and I did find a very small church that seemed perfect and affordable, but one of the problems with former churches is that they are usually located smack in the middle of town, and you have to decide whether you want to live there. The small church we found was on an island of land in the middle of a Y-intersection, across from the railroad tracks and the police station, in the center of downtown.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM

16,623 posts, read 14,353,196 times
625 South 4th St, Wilmington, NC 28401
625 S 4th St, Wilmington, NC 28401 - Zillow

here's one down the street from my house. $800k, 7,600 sqft, zoned up to quadplex, on a brick street, built in 1920. I bet it costs a fortune to convert one of these into residential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum