U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:41 AM

1,999 posts, read 6,429,246 times
Question Any Mexican border city safe to travel in at the Arizona line?

Is there any Mexican border city that is safe to travel and shop in at the Arizona line now in 2010? Gosh, I hope so, because I used to go to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, across from Laredo, Texas, all the time years ago and loved it (loved the food, culture, people and shopping). Had a blast there, and hate to see these great border towns ruined by these darn drug wars.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:28 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,429,246 times
I guess nobody knows???

Old 06-12-2010, 06:40 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,313,509 times
I wouldn't hit the border towns, you should head down to Rocky Point, much better shopping, and you it's only about an 1-1.5hrs from the border. Plus, you can hit the beach after a long morning of shopping, stop in for a big margrita at one of the bars, or even grab a hotel for the night.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 15,632,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I guess nobody knows???
Sorry, Tootsie . . . it has been a couple years for me.

However, a few friends and neighbors have visited Nogales for shopping and a bite to eat recently but ONLY during the day. They never drive across the border and NEVER remain after dark.

As far as Rocky Point and the other beautiful tourist areas further down are concerned . . . plenty of problems due to the drug crap which are rarely reported by the "slanted" media.

Definitely not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:56 PM

232 posts, read 315,106 times
I've walked over the border from Nogales, AZ to Nogales, MX a couple of times when work sent me down towards Tucson for a project. Worth the visit. It was safe enough for me to go alone (single female) and not worry much. Of course, common sense says its always wise to be on alert.

If you go, go to the pedestrian border crossing in AZ. Plenty of parking on the Arizona side....stadium-sized lots. Walk across in to Mexico and you'll be in an outdoor market.

Bring cash in small bills, everything is traded in U.S. Dollar...and price haggling is expected. I didn't try my luck with any of the food from the street vendors, I preferred the air-conditioned sit-down restaurants that prepare everything with filtered water. Good Mex and Tex-Mex food, excellent Mojitos. You may be asked if you want a shot on the side (not my thing but some folks dig it). Be sure to check the imagery on the signs of the indoor places. Last time I was there, there were one or two places that appeared to have some, um, dancers...and I don't mean Flamenco dancers. Also not my thing, but some folks dig it.

Along the street market are three-walled shops where you can find groceries, clothing, tequila, and the like. You may be approached by small, silent children holding boxes of candy they hoped to sell. I tossed them some change when I saw them.

I wouldn't recommend venturing outside the tourist area...I don't know the safety, although the surrounding area is simply not that interesting or fun. I don't recall any issues going back or forth through Customs. You will be asked what you bought, they may ask to see it.

If you go down towards Nogales MX from Tucson, its worth stopping at the San Xavier Mission as well.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sorry, Tootsie . . . it has been a couple years for me.

However, a few friends and neighbors have visited Nogales for shopping and a bite to eat recently but ONLY during the day. They never drive across the border and NEVER remain after dark.

As far as Rocky Point and the other beautiful tourist areas further down are concerned . . . plenty of problems due to the drug crap which are rarely reported by the "slanted" media.

Definitely not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.
How can you possibly claim that Nogales is safer than Rocky Point?

All of my family is down at our beach house right now, no issues getting there, and no drug issues to speak of. Just because they legalize most drugs doesn't mean the issues has gotten any worse.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 15,632,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
How can you possibly claim that Nogales is safer than Rocky Point?

All of my family is down at our beach house right now, no issues getting there, and no drug issues to speak of. Just because they legalize most drugs doesn't mean the issues has gotten any worse.
Don't get me wrong, KP . . . over the last six or eight years, I have been avoiding Nogales, the other border towns and Rocky Point completely.

My point was for a simple daytime shopping trip, Nogales is as safe as any border town but I would never recommend driving across the border or staying after sunset.

As for your beach house in Rocky Point . . . for every "perfect" vacation, there are at least two or three "less than perfect" nightmare vacations which are rarely publicized by the media. I have personal inside information concerning a number of those nightmares and I firmly believe they are only going to get worse and more frequent.

Good Luck and hopefully all of your vacations will be safe and without incident as it is a beautiful area.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Don't get me wrong, KP . . . over the last six or eight years, I have been avoiding Nogales, the other border towns and Rocky Point completely.

My point was for a simple daytime shopping trip, Nogales is as safe as any border town but I would never recommend driving across the border or staying after sunset.

As for your beach house in Rocky Point . . . for every "perfect" vacation, there are at least two or three "less than perfect" nightmare vacations which are rarely publicized by the media. I have personal inside information concerning a number of those nightmares and I firmly believe they are only going to get worse and more frequent.

Good Luck and hopefully all of your vacations will be safe and without incident as it is a beautiful area.
We make trips down there at least once a month, which is more than most people travel in years.

All it takes is common sense, but if the OP just wants a quick few hour trip then Nogales might not be a bad idea, definetly not a place I would go though.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:20 PM

276 posts, read 440,186 times
Stay out of Mexico.. it is not safe.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 AM

6,328 posts, read 10,309,381 times
We just got back from a week in Rock Point with some friends. We did make it a point to travel during the day, what with the recent media hype. I can tell you during the day you have absolutely no worries at all. Highway 8 which goes from the border to Rocky Point is basically one huge procession of Arizona tourists. 90% of the cars on the road have Arizona license plates. There is no way anything weird is going to happen. I tried not to drive faster than 20KPH over the speed limit, but it wasn't easy. Most Arizonians are traveling at ridiculous speeds along this road, even double the speed limit, and passing us like we were standing still. I suppose they are regulars who make the trip every weekend, and know something I don't know. At any rate, we had no encounters with police whatsoever.

As far as safety goes, Rocky Point is mostly inhabited by Arizonians. I met one couple who've had a house there for 30 years. Originally from Phoenix, they're in their 80's now, and have never had any problems. Anyhow, we had a great time and will probably make it an annual event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona