Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:13 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Gov Brewer again:

In an interview with Fox News, Brewer said, "We cannot afford all this illegal immigration and everything that comes with it, everything from the crime and to the drugs and the kidnappings and the extortion and the beheadings."

"Our law enforcement agencies have found bodies in the desert, either buried or just lying out there, that have been beheaded," she added.

Good lord! No wonder Arizonans are upset! "Ya let these "illegls" in, and the next thing you know, ya get yer beheadings..."

Sheesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I take you Arizonan's word for it that illegal aliens are causing you all kinds of problems. But I doubt y'all are tripping over headless bodies everyday while you're walking your dogs. It is this kind of conflation and exaggeration that threatens the credibility of SB 1070.

Maybe you should go back and read this again. No where does it say they're tripping over headless bodies while walking their dogs. It clearly states in your OP that ""Our law enforcement agencies have found bodies in the desert, either buried or just lying out there, that have been beheaded," she added. You're doing the same thing as the media,stop stirring the pot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 08:02 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
Hi, OP here. It's not that I don't believe beheadings occur. Gov Brewer refers to them, so I'm guessing she's not just making stuff up .

I'm just objecting to Brewer's habit of demonizing illegal immigrants through hyperbole every chance she gets. First, "most" of them are drug runners, now, they are somehow involved in beheadings. God knows on what kind of scale, because Brewer doesn't attempt to explain her remarks.
I don't think you get the seriousness of this. You crack jokes as if it's funny, and you downplay it as if it's no big deal. According to a Border Patrol report, between 1998 and 2004, 1,954 people died crossing the U.S./Mexico border illegally. The ACLU claims that about 6,000 people have died crossing the border over the last 15 years. In fiscal year 2007, 237 illegal aliens died trying to cross the Arizona desert (although that count is based on bodies found, it's likely that there are some bodies that have never been found).
According to Chris Ayres of The London Times, one in 1,400 who try to cross the U.S./Mexico border die. Sometimes it's on the U.S. side. Sometimes it's on the Mexico side.
And the increasing violence with the "drug wars" may make those statistics seem small. Most of that violence has remained south of the border. But it is increasing on the U.S. side, and we've read the news stories of some of that violence in Arizona over the last eight months or so.

It's serious, whether you think so or not.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
who is cutting whos head off? illegals are cutting other illegals heads off?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:38 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
"who is cutting whos head off? illegals are cutting other illegals heads off?"

Most likely it was drug smugglers. Those guys are like the worst gang you can think of and the mafia combined. They are ruthless, crafty, powerful and deadly. Often they are competing for territory. Anyone who stands in their way is a target (like a rancher, or a sheriff deputy, or a Border Patrol agent, or--especially--other drug smugglers).

That is not to say that if a "coyote" were leading a group of illegal immagrents across the desert, that if one fell behind, they'd leave him or her to die (because they would and do). Or if the illegal immagrent couldn't pony up a little more money, that the "coyote" would keep him or her a prisoner in inhuman conditions in a "drop house" until the money arrived (because thy would and do). But "coyotes" are not likely the ones cutting heads off. It's likely the drug smugglers.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:00 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The problem is that too many heads are rolling on the border and not enough heads are rolling in Washington.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:59 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
The bodies were found in very remote sections of the desert, I doubt many make their ways out there.
I doubt many make their own way out there too. But I do believe they can be driven and executed or dumped. They do not fall out of the sky.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
And the medical examiners from ALL the border counties all say they have NO reports/evidence of ANY beheaded corpses. More exaggeration/hyperbole from the Governor, which even she knows Fox News would just eat up.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 PM

32 posts, read 49,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The problem is that too many heads are rolling on the border and not enough heads are rolling in Washington.
Now ain't that the truth!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:34 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
County coroners can't back Brewer beheadings claim

Interesting,,,, so where does Brewer get this information of headless bodies?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:27 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
County coroners can't back Brewer beheadings claim

Interesting,,,, so where does Brewer get this information of headless bodies?
Note that your slanted article states "immigration- related" beheadings, not good old fashioned beheadings. There was a body found out near Buckeye not that long ago sans head. And bodies turn up in the desert west of town with regularity most with heads I would suppose. They are not immigration related - probably drug smuggling or at least a coroner can't say with any certainty that they are. I guess that makes it OK.

Not saying the gov is not given to exaggeration, but do you live here? Anyone who does sees this body in the desert stuff on the news with alarming frequency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona