Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 47,550 times

Advertisements

We are only doing a day hike of Bright Angel Trail, and most likely will only go about 3-5 miles down ( Three Mile Resthouse or if we feel good, maybe the Indian garden ) and also we will be only be bringing a light day pack load, nothing too heavy.

I was thinking of buying some "real rugged hiking boots or hiking shows". But I was thinking in a practical sense, we live here in the Prairies (North Dakota) and I will most likely only be using these once at the Grand Canyon.

I have some really good and brand new Nike ACG trail runners that I use when running in trails, parks etc..

Since we are only going for a 6-10 mile day hike w/ a fairly light load, would my Nike ACG trail runners be appropriate for the scenario and setting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 09:04 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
I've worn sneakers to cross the canyon and back in one day ...50 miles in 18 hours!....so, yes, you can do it if the shoes are broken in and you're comfortable in them already when walking a ways....wear liners and high-quality hiker socks....you don't need tough boots for a trail as good as the Bright Angel....but watch out for the mule trains, their manure and urine, and the various bumps along the way (part of trail construction) ....drink lots of water and eat plenty of energy food with sodium along the way....try to get to Indian Gardens - beautiful turnaround spot....the canyon is so different once you get a ways below the rim!.....

Old 07-02-2010, 09:24 PM

7,177 posts, read 9,225,978 times
Ditto on azdr0710's post. It's better to wear good shoes that you know work with your feet than break in shoes in the Canyon.

If I may make a suggestion. Depending on how you feel on your hike, try for Plateau Point. To get there you need to hike to Indian Gardens. From Indian Gardens there is a trail that splits from the main trail. Plateau Point is 1.5 miles from Indian Gardens. The trail from Indian Gardens to Plateau Point is "relatively" level. You cross a few washes, etc. This would make it a long day hike though.

The view is worth it! It feels like you can see straight down to the Colorado River! The river is 1000 ft below you. You can see it for miles up and downstream. If you have Google Earth check it out. Just a suggestion.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:26 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
I agree about the Plateau Point thing....(check a map if you do that).....you can see the trail out to Plateau from the rim.....the "problem" is that the Bright Angel Trail from the south rim to Indian Gardens is in a bit of an alcove and not out in the wide-open canyon....if you can get out to Plateau Point, the views open up and are incredible - among the great views in the world, actually.....

south rim to Plateau Point and back UP, UP to south rim is about 12-13 miles RT....

Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
I also think that already-owned trail runners will be just fine and most likely a lot better than new heavy hiking boots. I just hiked about 1.5 miles of the Bright Angel Trail last October in trail runners, with a baby backpack with a 24 lb. toddler in it, and did just fine.

You should have no problem getting to the 3-mile rest stop (depending on your athletic ability). We went pretty close to it with a party of: 50 y.o., 42 y.o., 33 y.o., 31 y.o., two 6 y.o., and a 1 y.o. Of course, it was cooler weather, making the trek easier.

The trail was really busy when we went (mid-morning, mid-October). I shudder to think about it in the summer! I would plan to get up really early to start. Not that you were asking, but thought I would throw in my two cents on the subject.

Edit to add: if you are overly concerned about your ankles or the gripping abilities of your runners, I would spend the cash on retractible hiking poles. I was a bit envious of those hikers I saw with them--especially on the way up. Anyhow, hiking poles might get used more than heavy hiking shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: