Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 10:48 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
So, when all other arguements fail, go with old-age? Really? I've known some very hard-working and wise folks in their 90's. I'm sure many of the residents of Sun City would not only disagree, but would take offense. But this isn't the first time you've generalized a group people on this board, either, so what should I expect?

OMG this whole thread is about generalizations of a whole group of people!
I bet most folks on here assume that when they see people in a store or elsewhere speaking Spanish that they automatically illegal.
I could go on and on and on about the generalizations and stereotypes being made on this thread but it would take way too long.
I just cannot believe some of the things that go on in some peoples minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
....Gurbie...Or are you one of those guys who think it's time to toss out some of those pesky amendments?
to me, this is a silly statement. No one wants to "throw out" amendments but, they sure as heck want to amend the amendment. YOU all act like it is written in stone.....

Old 08-08-2010, 11:14 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
to me, this is a silly statement. No one wants to "throw out" amendments but, they sure as heck want to amend the amendment. YOU all act like it is written in stone.....
Great point, AnnieA

The world has changed over the last few decades and it only makes sense for the citizens of the United States to expect all of our laws to keep up.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesinphoenix View Post
SCOTUS seems to be rife with activist liberals rather than the impartial "prudent person" whose only job is to uphold and defend the Constitution. Instead, they have become the puppets of the administrations that gave them their lifetime appointments. We seem to no longer have the three branches of government that were supposed to maintain the balance of power between individual rights, states' rights and an ever-reaching, oligarchic regime.

GO GREEN: Recycle Congress (and the Senate, too). Re-elect NO ONE. Instead choose someone who will uphold the citizens, and the U.S. Constitution, not their party.
Well, unfortunately it's the only SCOTUS we have! Having worked in politics for the better part of 20 years, I agree with you.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Absolutely! Besides, the Fourteenth Amendment, which is what is targeted by some candidates to be altered, is not a part of the Bill of Rights. As far as I'm concerned, the Bill of Rights is set in stone ... but the subsequent amendments can be altered or eliminated (as has been accomplished in the past). A good example is prohibition.

I am supportive of any candidate who wants to change the wording of the Fourteenth Amendment. The original intent of this was not to give citizenship to illegals' children, but to grant citizenship to children of slaves. Never was this written with the hopes of giving citizenship to the hordes of babies that are born to illegal aliens.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Absolutely! Besides, the Fourteenth Amendment, which is what is targeted by some candidates to be altered, is not a part of the Bill of Rights. As far as I'm concerned, the Bill of Rights is set in stone ... but the subsequent amendments can be altered or eliminated (as has been accomplished in the past). A good example is prohibition.

I am supportive of any candidate who wants to change the wording of the Fourteenth Amendment. The original intent of this was not to give citizenship to illegals' children, but to grant citizenship to children of slaves. Never was this written with the hopes of giving citizenship to the hordes of babies that are born to illegal aliens.
LOL at "hordes of babies"... you win thIis thread's inflammatory rhetoric award for today (against some very talented competition, too! )

Look, my original point is that NOTHING about the US Constitution is "set in stone", including the original 10 Ammendments. It's a secular governing tool, fer chrissakes, not the Bible. The world has changed a lot in 225 years- our instruments of governance must be able to change too.

That being said, it is, on purpose, VERY difficult to "alter or eliminate" a standing amendment. Thank God for that! It mean that, while politicians can try to recklessly incite their base with teasing language about "taking a look at the 14th Amendment" (I'm looking at you, Lindsey Graham and John Boehner), we can all rest assured that cooler, more responsible heads will prevail, and nothing will ever come of their blather. A good example of our creaky old system working according to plan!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:07 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
In Arizona, the shooting death of a rancher blew the lid off simmering anger over border security and helped solidify support for a tough new immigration law. A similar eruption threatens in Virginia following the death of a Catholic nun in a car accident involving a man in the country illegally and accused of drunken driving.

Nun's Death Rallies Anti-Immigration Forces - ABC News

I'm sure the Obama administration will pay for this illegal's defense in exchange for his illegal vote.

All over the country illegal aliens are costing us in so many ways. And the current 'catch & release' program is a complete failure. They just keep coming back.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
In Arizona, the shooting death of a rancher blew the lid off simmering anger over border security and helped solidify support for a tough new immigration law. A similar eruption threatens in Virginia following the death of a Catholic nun in a car accident involving a man in the country illegally and accused of drunken driving.

Nun's Death Rallies Anti-Immigration Forces - ABC News

I'm sure the Obama administration will pay for this illegal's defense in exchange for his illegal vote.

All over the country illegal aliens are costing us in so many ways. And the current 'catch & release' program is a complete failure. They just keep coming back.
Arguing from tragic news stories is never a good idea. We need to use reason, not emotion here. Sister Glenna Smith, spokesperson for the Benedictine Sisters of Virginia, has released a statement deploring the politizaion of Sister Mosier's death by anti-illegal immigrant forces.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 AM

308 posts, read 790,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Arguing from tragic news stories is never a good idea. We need to use reason, not emotion here. Sister Glenna Smith, spokesperson for the Benedictine Sisters of Virginia, has released a statement deploring the politizaion of Sister Mosier's death by anti-illegal immigrant forces.

YES, PLEASE use reason when thinking about the illegal border crossers. It stands to reason that illegal activity should be punished, not rewarded. It stands to reason that coming into this country illegally and having a baby should not assure your whole family a lifetime of benefits paid for by the hardworking, legal citizens of this country. It stands to reason that if you want to come to this country for a better life, you should do it the legal way. It stands to reason that our borders should be secured in order to keep out the gang members, terrorists, and countless others who do not come here for a noble cause. It stands to reason that we, the citizens of the USA, should be able to expect our Federal Government would do it's job and fight the wave of crime coming across our border (and yes, driving drunk and killing someone is still a crime).

Old 08-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
YES, PLEASE use reason when thinking about the illegal border crossers. It stands to reason that illegal activity should be punished, not rewarded. It stands to reason that coming into this country illegally and having a baby should not assure your whole family a lifetime of benefits paid for by the hardworking, legal citizens of this country. It stands to reason that if you want to come to this country for a better life, you should do it the legal way. It stands to reason that our borders should be secured in order to keep out the gang members, terrorists, and countless others who do not come here for a noble cause. It stands to reason that we, the citizens of the USA, should be able to expect our Federal Government would do it's job and fight the wave of crime coming across our border (and yes, driving drunk and killing someone is still a crime).
I agree, JA. So let's look at this reasonably:

- According to FBI stats, there IS NO CRIME WAVE POURING ACROSS OUR BORDER. Crime is actually down across the board ( as is illegal immigration)

- No terrorist attack to date has been committed by a person in this country illegally.

- You will NEVER be able to "secure the border" with Mexico, or find a way to deport 12 million illegals.

- Children born on US soil will always be citizens of the US (see my earlier posts.

I know we are under a lot of anti-immigrant pressure right now. Happens every time the economy takes a dump. But we can't allow ourselves to get all riled up. This is an election year, and the pols are ready to yank our chains and expolit our fears. Don't fall for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona