Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:00 PM

63 posts, read 151,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrokee69 View Post
My husband and i are really wanting to move out there, but with what i have seen buying might be better than renting.. I don't mind renting but hell we can't afford, now least to high $1100. monthly up to$1600. As we are on a fixed income of $ 1700. Is there anything we can rent till we can get our feet wet and afford to buy. We are looking in Havasu, Bhc, Kingman area's
I would buy! the economy is horrible and you should be able to find a seller that will carry....Just make sure an attorney looks at the contract! You would probably have to lay down 10% for a purchase if it's written correctly you can have a buy out option after so many years. btw 1700 is ??? I make around 1100 on a 70% disability check from the VA? I'm just asking........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 07:11 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,858,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQp View Post
excellent! you should look into a rooftop unit however, check out ebay even if you end up traveling into Texas for the purchase! The filters are important also, so always keep up on it! Close off all rooms that are not being used and so forth... Thanks for being a green person and F**k the utility companies! also they have a ceramic paint or something you can lower the roof temp by 9 degree F...Our unit field tested ceramic infused shroud tents in Iraq and they really work. -9F = a big difference in the desert.

ceramic paintInsulating Ceramic House Paint Reduces Utility Bills
Well, I'd be happy to close off all the rooms I'm not using, however I have no inside doors in my house. lol Only one wall too! It's all open but it's not that big...about 750 sq. ft.. This is my mom's 'guest house' and she's not about to redo the cooler to put it up on the house. It's working fine so why bother? My house is surrounded by a ton of trees and it doesn't get broiling hot...mostly stuffy and 'too warm'. So the cooler where it's at, operating as it is, is just fine.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:20 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,244,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Reached 80 in Seattle today, supposed to be 76 and sunny tomorrow.
last year it reached 108 in seattle...I was there...no AC anywhere in that state.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 PM

572 posts, read 2,479,705 times
Its cooled off to a high of 110 today but with night time lows of 95 there is not much relief.
Oh this heat is not a dry heat its a bit muggy and no storms

Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,237,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
last year it reached 108 in seattle...I was there...no AC anywhere in that state.
Official high (Seatac airport) was 103 - but you are right in that some areas were even higher (108 in Lynnwood). If you would have asked me prior to hitting that temp if it was EVER going to get that hot in Seattle, I'd have said "no way in h*ll".
UNBELIEVABLE for it to get that hot up here in Seattle.
UNBELIEVABLE.

Ken

Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 AM

5,052 posts, read 13,873,797 times
To Lordbalfor:

I live in Seattle right now. Seattle did reach 103 one afternoon this time last year but you forgot to mention in just a week or less later, Seattle got much cooler with highs 65-80 and lows 55-65 degrees. I visited Seattle two weeks after that heat wave and had to wear a sweater at night in mid August! I liked those moderate temperatures though. After the heat wave this year, it cooled off quickly just two days after the heat wave. And the heat wave only lasted for three days.

In the lower elevations of Arizona though, every year, it seems to be 90-115 degrees for weeks and months at a time.

Im honestly surprised youre moving from Seattle to Arizona for the sole reasons of the weather there!?
I infinitely prefer Seattle's climate to areas of Arizona even though I like sunshine. However, I usually like clouds and rain as much as sunshine.

Seattle on average gets 1,800-2,200 sunshine hours per year which is enough sunshine for me. Areas of Arizona get like 3,000-4,000 which can seem like too much even to many people that like sunshine.

The most populated area of Arizona is the place with the worst weather/climate in Arizona which makes no sense. I don’t understand why the Phoenix area wasn’t developed where Flagstaff is since the weather is more agreeable in the higher elevations of Arizona.

Ironically, Flaggstaff is one of the snowiest places in America! And its only a few hours or less away from Phoenix. Flaggsatff gets more snow than many places in the Northeast, and Midwest, as well as other northern locations.

The post I put on this thread earlier that nobody responded to in this thread!

"Anything above 95 degrees is weather misery/madness for me.

Where I live in America, yesterday was 55 degrees at 10am, 58 degrees at noon, and 65 degrees at 3pm

I guess it was those temperatures too in Phoenix in a super air conditioned room. But take away air conditioning and what would someone do? Before a few decades ago, I dont even think air conditioning was invented yet.
And someone still has to go outside for at least 15 minutes to do things in the Phoenix area. Its not like they can bring the air conditioning with them.

Most would agree that 55-80 degrees are their favorite temperatures, including me."

Last edited by *******; 07-18-2010 at 12:30 AM..

Old 07-18-2010, 12:15 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,494,530 times
To each his own. Some like sunshine and heat. Others like clouds and coolness.

I'm one of those that like the sunshine and heat.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:22 AM

To ritchie_az:

lol, there are plenty of people that like both sunshine and heat, as well as clouds and coolness, like me.

But you are right.

If someone likes very hot temperatures, and dryness, I can see why someone would want to live in the lower elevations of Arizona for weather reasons. The problem is that SOME (definitely not all) that like a dry/hot climate dont seem to be able to understand how there many people that dont like weather/climates that are hot and dry and that there are people that like 4 seasons.

However, the higher elevations of Arizona such as Flaggstaff gets a lot of snow! Flaggstaff is one of the snowiest places in the country!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,237,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Lordbalfor:

I live in Seattle right now. Seattle did reach 103 one afternoon this time last year but you forgot to mention in just a week or less later, Seattle got much cooler with highs 65-80 and lows 55-65 degrees. I visited Seattle two weeks after that heat wave and had to wear a sweater at night in mid August! I liked those moderate temperatures though. After the heat wave this year, it cooled off quickly just two days after the heat wave. And the heat wave only lasted for three days.

In the lower elevations of Arizona though, every year, it seems to be 90-115 degrees for weeks and months at a time.

Im honestly surprised youre moving from Seattle to Arizona for the sole reasons of the weather there!?
I infinitely prefer Seattle's climate to areas of Arizona even though I like sunshine. However, I usually like clouds and rain as much as sunshine.

Seattle on average gets 1,800-2,200 sunshine hours per year which is enough sunshine for me. Areas of Arizona get like 3,000-4,000 which can seem like too much even to many people that like sunshine.

The most populated area of Arizona is the place with the worst weather/climate in Arizona which makes no sense. I don’t understand why the Phoenix area wasn’t developed where Flagstaff is since the weather is more agreeable in the higher elevations of Arizona.

Ironically, Flaggstaff is one of the snowiest places in America! And its only a few hours or less away from Phoenix. Flaggsatff gets more snow than many places in the Northeast, and Midwest, as well as other northern locations.

The post I put on this thread earlier that nobody responded to in this thread!

"Anything above 95 degrees is weather misery/madness for me.

Where I live in America, yesterday was 55 degrees at 10am, 58 degrees at noon, and 65 degrees at 3pm

I guess it was those temperatures too in Phoenix in a super air conditioned room. But take away air conditioning and what would someone do? Before a few decades ago, I dont even think air conditioning was invented yet.
And someone still has to go outside for at least 15 minutes to do things in the Phoenix area. Its not like they can bring the air conditioning with them.

Most would agree that 55-80 degrees are their favorite temperatures, including me."
NaturalUrbanBalence -

Well, I'm just a warm weather kind of guy. When the weather is nice in Seattle there NO PLACE in the lower 48 that's more wonderful/gorgeous. Problem is - that just doesn't happen often enough. I've lived here now for nearly 40 years and truth to tell, I'm sick of far too short - and far too often unreliable - summers (like this one). If we're lucky up here we get maybe 2 months of truly summer-like weather - and again, that's IF WE'RE LUCKY. As someone who grew up as an Air Force Brat I moved around a lot and lived in a lot of places - but generally they were all in the northern latitudes and I've NEVER lived anywhere truly warm - and as someone who LOVES the tropics I want some HEAT! I'm tired of cool and cloudy. I want sunny and warm.

Now having said that, I DON'T want to live in someplace that's a furnace - like Yuma, LHC or Phoenix, consequently we bought retirement property in SE Arizona where we typically have summer highs in the upper 80's and low 90's and winter highs in the low 60's. Pretty perfect in my opinion - not quite Hawaii, but it'll do well enough.

Once we sell our home up here in Seattle that is.

Ken

Old 07-18-2010, 01:11 AM

To Lordbalfor:

I can definitely see and understand how there are people that prefer different climates/types of weather from Seattle, but I hope those people can see that there are positives to weather/climate that is like Seattle and how there are people that like "Oceanic" climates such as Seattle.
Also there are people that like sunshine but still like Seattle's climate most of the time. I am one of them. I find it strange if someone never likes sunshine as well as if someone never likes clouds and rain.

Even though I personally dont like most of Arizona's climate for myself I can definitely see how there are positives to it and why some prefer it over the weather of other places.

I think Seattle's climate/weather is great most of the time but I dont think its weather is "perfect." No place technically has "perfect" weather and its good there are different types of weather everywhere.

Looks like you just need a change of scenery and a change in type of weather, which makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona