Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 AM

239 posts, read 722,204 times

Advertisements

Hey I just want to know what do you think about the Community Colleges in Arizona? Because im thinking about going to a Community College in Arizona after I finish the Community College here where I live in Atlanta.

Also what are the best Community Colleges in Arizona that you would suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 AM

7,091 posts, read 9,130,645 times
Depends. Best community college for what? Tech? Arts? Lit? Here in the valley of the sun there are quite a few community colleges.

Maricopa Community Colleges | Ten community colleges and two skill centers around Phoenix, Arizona

They are all a little different. Each school seems to have subtly different offerings. There are two major differences. Course offerings and teachers. For course offerings check out the website. As to teachers, you never know until you meet them how good they will be.

That said here are some of MY opinions. Others WILL have different opinions. I like Phoenix College for some of their arts classes. Gateway, Glendale and Mesa for their tech offerings. Rio Salado is good for online courses. I haven't been to most of the others so no opinions there.

I have no clue about the other areas of the state. Pima County, Yavapai County, Navajo County, Coconino County, etc. But a little googling will bring up their websites.

Just curious. Why finish community college somewhere else to move here and go to community college? My reasons for continuing education is to improve my knowledge and skills in specific areas of tech that are job related. Or to take an art or PE class for fun.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,237,795 times
If you get a two year degree where you are now, there's no point in getting another one here, unless you are going to emphasize a more specialized field, then it MIGHT make sense. It would generally be more valuable to go to a four year college where all your CC credits will transfer, and get a BA/BS degree.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,965,294 times
Depends on what part of Arizona you're looking to move to. The Phx area has the best community colleges and I believe it's the largest community college system in the country(Maricopa Community Colleges). There are like 9(someone correct me if I'm wrong) community colleges in the valley that all work together and they all transfer easily into the bigger state universities. For example, if you lived in Glendale you would attend Glendale Community College. If you lived in Chandler you would attend Chandler-Gilbert Community College and so on. All of the community colleges seem to specialize in different programs. For instance if you were studying Dental Hygiene then Rio Salado in Tempe would be your school of choice. If you want a more midsize city then there's Pima Community College in Tuscon. If you don't plan on living in the bigger cities then there are community colleges in the smaller cities such as Yavapai community college in Prescott, Mojave Community College in Kingman, and Coconino Community College in Flagstaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona