Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,743 times

Advertisements

I am a recent college graduate and am originally from Mississippi although I attended college in Alabama. I have recently been offered a job at Ft. Huachuca, AZ and am researching the area of Sierra Vista. Does anyone have any guidance or opinions of the area(i.e. apartments/condominiums, entertainment, safety, etc.). I plan to visit the area before making a decision but would like insight into the area before making a blind journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 05:18 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
If I were going to be living in Sierra Vista, I would find my entertainment in Tombstone.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM

308 posts, read 790,896 times
Go to the local newspaper's website to see prices on apartments/condos. If you are working on Post, you should be making enough to cover expenses with no problem, as long as you don't have much debt. As for entertainment, there isn't a whole lot to do, especially if you are younger. It is a fairly quiet town, but with the best weather I have ever seen. If you like to hike, as I do, it will be paradise.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 PM

17 posts, read 41,555 times
Hi Mnorm10 - I live in Northern Az, but have driven through Sierra Vista after visiting Bisbee. Bisbee is approx. 30 min. from SV. It is well worth your time to visit Bisbee. I would want to live there if I worked in, or close to, SV. Look at Craigslist under SV and Bisbee. And walk the streets of Bisbee and go into coffee shops, stores, etc and talk to people. They are very friendly and helpful. Good luck in your new adventure.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Sierra Vista is a nice, small town with a medium-sized-town dining and shopping options. There are great views and near perfect weather. It's a good place to live, especially if you'll be working on the base.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Take the job. You'll love it here. Don't worry about housing...there is plenty of it here. And since you'll be working on Huachuca, you'll make more than enough to cover housing expenses. Safety? There isn't enough crime here to worry about it, though i'm sure the crime exaggerators will come on here eventually and attempt to scare the hell out of you. Entertainment? Depends on how hard you are to entertain. Not much culture in this town as entertainment goes, but there is more than enough of it within an hours (or slightly more) drive.

You won't believe how fast Cochise County will grow on you! Like Ritchie^^^ said...the views, the weather, the people...come on down and discover a great part of Arizona that even most native Arizonans either overlook or don't know about at all!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:58 AM

364 posts, read 496,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorm10 View Post
I am a recent college graduate and am originally from Mississippi although I attended college in Alabama. I have recently been offered a job at Ft. Huachuca, AZ and am researching the area of Sierra Vista. Does anyone have any guidance or opinions of the area(i.e. apartments/condominiums, entertainment, safety, etc.). I plan to visit the area before making a decision but would like insight into the area before making a blind journey.
What are your interests? AZ and Sierra Vista are generally love it or hate it. I know many people in both categories.

SV has little to do for young people or families. It is a small town with few "entertainment" options. Many people travel to Tucson for that. There are several apartment complexes, so that shouldn't be a problem and none are far from post. SV is safe and so are the surrounding communities.

As others have said, the weather is great. There are abundant outdoor opportunities for hiking. Bisbee is approximately 30 min drive and is pretty interesting.

You'll probably see many of the people you work with around town. If you like that, then great. If you prefer more anonymity, then you may want to look at living in other areas.

In SV, some of the better jobs are on Fort.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
SV has little to do for young people or families.
I guess it depends on what your interests are.
This place is awesome for young people and families: City of Sierra Vista - Aquatic Center
Some more things for youth/families: http://www.ci.sierra-vista.az.us/cms...arks/Parks.pdf
Some more: The Mall at Sierra Vista - Premier Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in Sierra Vista, Arizona

Within a short distance:
Coronado National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)
Parker Canyon Lake - Home
Arizona State Parks: Kartchner Caverns: Home
Welcome to the City of Tombstone!
Bisbee Chamber of Commerce - Home

And, yeah, drive an hour north then west, and there's tons more in Tucson.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 PM

This place in Wilcox is pretty cool, too, and not too far of a drive from Sierra Vista: Apple Annies

Old 07-24-2010, 01:08 PM

138 posts, read 304,834 times
Ritchie,this is great news that was provided,we moved to Fortcollins an with out any research there is not a place for head injurys,my husband had a stroke an I thank you so much for the pool part we are thinking of moving again just because my son can not find a job,nice area in Fortcollins just not alot to do when you are in your fiftys in a wheelchair, love to here they have the liftchair there will be coming for a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona