Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,773 times

Advertisements

One thing Phoenix doesn't need is people from California - please stay there. We also don't need all of the rules, regulations and laws that California has. Phoenix was the last of the "wild west" jsut 12 years ago and now it's a fkn mess - period. A MESS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,611 times
Since this forum allows people to give ther opinions, and I will weather someone 'puts up a fight' about it or not. My experience in Arizona has not been a good one. My job moved me out here 4 years ago. Begininning a year ago my employer started taking away our income and hours gradually. And now I've lost a majority of my earnings. So much so that I now qualify for food stamps and state assistance. I'm trying to find another job here, but to no avail. I have found 'good' jobs that offer a paycheck and a future to be lacking in this state. Too many low-paying service jobs. At least the Midwest states PRODUCE things (manufacturing) and offer higher salaries that go along with it.

I find people in Phoenix not matter where I go to be unfriendly, uninteresting and 'stand-offish.' They are California wunnabees and not Midwesterners in the least and dont have their values either. It also seems people in Pheonix, especially Snottsdale, are materialistic and snooty. I have no idea why; its not like Phoenix is a coastal city or Chicago or Dallas-Fort Worth or something. People here also cant drive. The crime is TERRIBLE. There's illegals everywhere that are mooching off the state's system and pushing up the crime. But the biggest thing I dislike is the oppressive heat. My family will never move here, and its puts me in the situation of proabably moving back to the Midwest next year. The one good thing however is that I've made life-long friends and relationships.

My opinion of Arizona is only based on my experience. It turns out that AZ is just not the place for me. It's turned out to be the WORST place Iv'e ever lived. I would just like to go home. But this is just my opinion. People can take it or leave it.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 AM

The skyline of phoenix is also the smallest of any large city Ive ever seen. No 'tall' buildings. Nothing. Heck, the skyline of Orlando, FL is larger. Very sad for the 5th largest US city in the 13th largest metro area.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I find people in Phoenix not matter where I go to be unfriendly, uninteresting and 'stand-offish.'
Quote:
The one good thing however is that I've made life-long friends and relationships.
How do you rationalize those two seemingly contradictory statements?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
How do you rationalize those two seemingly contradictory statements?

Easy to answer. Most people here in general whom I've met everywhere have the introverted, 'stand offish' reserved personality I mentioned. My friends are mostly introverted and reserved, but not stand-offish. So they fit two of the three.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
just leave then - go to the midwest and find one of those great jobs where they make things - it shouldn't be hard, after all everyone is so friendly and accepting

Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,347,410 times
Quote:
The skyline of phoenix is also the smallest of any large city Ive ever seen. No 'tall' buildings. Nothing. Heck, the skyline of Orlando, FL is larger. Very sad for the 5th largest US city in the 13th largest metro area.
Talk about materialistic! Hey, krock... ever stop to think that perhaps mountains are more important to a skyline than buildings?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Who cares about the SIZE of the skyline? Now we are just looking for things to pick at. It's getting bigger, BTW, but Phoenix does not need a canyon of skyscrapers. The views of the Phoenix skyline, framed by the mountains, that some of our fine photographer members have posted here show a combination of a developing downtown and the wide open spaces in this valley (or basin).

You can't trade me Orlando for Phoenix (and I'm not entirely sure you are right in the first place.) Been there. They can have it.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
just leave then - go to the midwest and find one of those great jobs where they make things - it shouldn't be hard, after all everyone is so friendly and accepting
You are right on--people in the Midwest are friendlier and more 'real' with family values, but not nessarily more 'accepting.' Keep in mind, I'm only speaking my personal preference. I like green grass, 4 seasons (alhtough I can do without the snow), trees, changes in weather, and affordable cost of living. Sure, the economy is down like everywhere else, but IL IN and WI dont have the huge economic swings AZ does. And one thing is for sure: those states are not welcoming to illegals (with the exceptionof IL) like Arizona is. Sure, you will find some there but nearly like U would here. And thats a good thing. Perhaps thats why they are are not so burdened in their social assistance and education and healthcare systems. As I've said, Arizona isnt for everybody. I dont understand why people here get so mad when people express their dislikes for AZ and their preferences for elsewhere. Good grief.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM

194 posts, read 565,502 times
LOL....I love how when people mention AZ all they think about is the grand Canyon.

Fact is, many of us have lived here for 10+ yrs and never even seen it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona