U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2010, 07:45 PM
 
3,194 posts, read 1,179,253 times
Reputation: 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
This law is having an effect on legal residents too. Lots of Hispanic people who are legal are fleeing Arizona in droves because they dont want to live in a place where they fear they will be profiled and discriminated against.

We have a man from our Phoenix office who is requesting a transfer here to Dallas because of that. He has friends who are trying to go back to California, Texas, New Mexico, and Chicago he says. The man is very legal and has a graduate degree from Arizona State.

This law is not just affecting Illegal residents. I wish Arizona leadership could see that. The law is not trying to target legal residents, but indirectly it is. The law isnt set up for racial profiling, but it still swings the door wide open for it.
It may well be that some people will leave Az due to this law. It may also be that your friend wants to live closer to you. People move for many different reasons and usually not just one reason. I know of a town near me that is now almost totally Hispanic (in Nebraska) because the influx of Hispanics (and ensuing crime) prodded many citizens to move to another area. It works both ways. And because ICE wouldn't enforce the law in this community many law abiding citizens left at a huge property loss. We all make our own choices. Not sure if ICE was targeting legal citizens or not.
But again, we make choices.

I'm amazed at the number of people posting on citydata that want to move to Arizona. My DH and I had been planning to get a winter home in Vegas but we're now looking more at the Kingman area. Your state is so diverse and absolutely beautiful. My thanks for the pics that were posted. The posters on this site are great and sound like they would be wonderful neighbors.

I also admire the politicians Az has. Whether this law was written for political reasons or not, it represents the majority of the people of your state and right now that is much better representation than most of the rest of us are getting on any level.

As to the post regarding people dying doing construction work etc..I find it appalling that they think it is OK for ANYONE to work under those conditions. I almost feel sometimes that those opposed to 1070 are OK with a new form of slavery. If the workers in these situations were LEGAL this would not be allowed to happen. IMO that is one added reason 1070 is a good law. If the illegals aren't able to find jobs, companies will be forced to pay a fair wage and comply with work safety regulations.

And as far as Goodneighbor 1234 I can't believe you could say with a straight face that a Federal Judge would be afraid to rule in either direction because there were guns around. Have you ever been in a court room before...or seen one on TV? I have found your posts somewhat amusing in the past but...really?? I mean Really???

Of course, JMHO.

GO ARIZONA

 
Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM
 
1,530 posts, read 2,258,178 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
To this I add. . ."if you have nothing to fear, you have no reason to flee." However. . ."if you have reason to fear, now is the time to flee" and preferably back to your countries of origin!
well as i said, they are legal they just dont like this law
 
Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM
 
1,530 posts, read 2,258,178 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Let me know when they actually leave, then we'll talk.
yeah i hear about all these people leaving yet i dont see it? maybe its me
 
Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
6,168 posts, read 9,780,768 times
Reputation: 6951
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
yeah i hear about all these people leaving yet i dont see it? maybe its me
I guess the point is that talk is cheap. Until people actually start voting with their feet, it's just posturing.
 
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
8,298 posts, read 10,106,174 times
Reputation: 4419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
this is very true i know several families who are legal here that are leaving i also have a friend who is married to a hispanic guy and they are leaving asap, and he was born in america but they dont want to be here because of this law.
I think this is so much hot air. My hispanic neighbors just drove home in a brand new cadilac and seem to be driving it just about a dozen times a day. They were driving in an older beater car but just traded that in. Good for them and I don't see them packing to leave.
 
Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
15,892 posts, read 18,710,567 times
Reputation: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I think this is so much hot air. My hispanic neighbors just drove home in a brand new cadilac and seem to be driving it just about a dozen times a day. They were driving in an older beater car but just traded that in. Good for them and I don't see them packing to leave.
That could be a 1070 effect. The old beater car would be reasonable suspicion to be an illegal. I wonder if the Republic has checked for a recent increase of sales of new cars to illegal "immigrants". They've blamed everything else on 1070.
 
Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
 
Location: just wandering around
8,233 posts, read 7,436,887 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
To this I add. . ."if you have nothing to fear, you have no reason to flee." However. . ."if you have reason to fear, now is the time to flee" and preferably back to your countries of origin!
I disagree with this statement. I'm sure most people who are incarcerated are guilty, but there are many people who rot in jail for months because they "look suspicious." If people can be arrested just because they might or might not be illegal, it only drives a rift between law enforcement and the Hispanic community. If everyone were randomly questioned and we all had to walk around with passports/papers to prove citizenship, then I probably wouldn't mind but, to me, this law is not about protecting our borders, but about racial profiling.
 
Old 07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Ash Fork
509 posts, read 793,408 times
Reputation: 324
if a man is a legal and he decides to leave might it be that somebody in his household is not legal ? if that is the case then if the illegal person is in his vehicle he can be charged as transporting an illegal .
 
Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
 
2,948 posts, read 3,468,592 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
but there are many people who rot in jail for months because they "look suspicious."
Do you really believe this? Give me an example.

Quote:
If people can be arrested just because they might or might not be illegal
That's not what 1070 says, I suggest you read it.

Quote:
to me, this law is not about protecting our borders, but about racial profiling.
I suggest you try to understand what the law says before commenting/condemning it. You have no idea, just spouting hot air.
But if you want to know what 1070 is about and a good reason why it's necessary, read this:
Two bodies found in desert near I-8 | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Yahoo News
Many illegal immigrants die every year crossing the desert. To not stop illegal immigration is to condone their death, condone they way they are treated by coyotes (who will hold them hostage for more money in unthinkable conditions), condone the breaking of laws (immigration laws, identity theft, etc), condone the financial burden it places on legal citizens (including hispanics), and condone the national security threat.
This has nothing to do with whites vs. hispanics. Many hispanics support the law (including the ones in my family). It has to do with legal immigration vs. illegal immigration, and federalism vs. states' rights.
 
Old 07-27-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: just wandering around
8,233 posts, read 7,436,887 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Do you really believe this? Give me an example.
The Innocence Project has exonerated wrongfully convicted people for years, some who were on death row. There are too many to list. Many of these people were arrested because they were Black, poor, had an accent or just didn't look like the rest of us.

If I am just "spouting air" as you claim, then why do police chiefs claim the new law will increase violent crime?

AZ Police Chiefs Decry Immigration Checks (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2268 - broken link)

"It's very divisive," said John Harris, head of the Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police, at a press conference after the meeting. "It puts Arizona law enforcement right in the middle. It makes it really difficult for us to police our communities."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:41 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top