Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
"The prospect of Sheriff Arpaio arresting his wife and putting her in a tent concentration camp is too much for this man to bear".

Then he should have made steps to have her here legally. Criminals get put in jail. If you don't want to be put in jail, don't do things that are illegal. We all have choices in life..........
Being in the US illegally is a civil violation not a criminal one - just like a ticket from the (former) freeway cams. The AZ state law wants to make it a crime in AZ, but I am pretty sure that part will be enjoined or tossed out completely as it is one of the few areas of SB1070 that go above and beyond US law.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
This law is having an effect on legal residents too. Lots of Hispanic people who are legal are fleeing Arizona in droves because they dont want to live in a place where they fear they will be profiled and discriminated against.

We have a man from our Phoenix office who is requesting a transfer here to Dallas because of that. He has friends who are trying to go back to California, Texas, New Mexico, and Chicago he says. The man is very legal and has a graduate degree from Arizona State.

This law is not just affecting Illegal residents. I wish Arizona leadership could see that. The law is not trying to target legal residents, but indirectly it is. The law isnt set up for racial profiling, but it still swings the door wide open for it.
this is very true i know several families who are legal here that are leaving i also have a friend who is married to a hispanic guy and they are leaving asap, and he was born in america but they dont want to be here because of this law.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
Quote:
this is very true i know several families who are legal here that are leaving i also have a friend who is married to a hispanic guy and they are leaving asap, and he was born in america but they dont want to be here because of this law.
That's too bad and it's also their choice. It also sounds like they are uninformed or mislead as to what the law is and isn't, and basing their choices off of that (if it's true in the first place). All the hispanics in my family that are in Arizona (over 20 of them) and the hispanics that I know from work, church and the neighborhood, all openly support 1070 and have no intentions of moving.
But everyone has the right to move for whatever reasons they choose. To each his own.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:50 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
Dang! I wish I could leave that easily. I guess they don't have jobs, mortgages, kids in school, or family in the area. Just legal and footloose.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Let me know when they actually leave, then we'll talk.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:06 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Quote:
To this I add. . ."if you have nothing to fear, you have no reason to flee." However. . ."if you have reason to fear, now is the time to flee" and preferably back to your countries of origin!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodneighbor1234 View Post
The prospect of Sheriff Arpaio arresting his wife and putting her in a tent concentration camp is too much for this man to bear.
Illegals marry American citizens all the time so they can get US citizenship. This guy needs to check with the authorities and find out how to get his wife on the road to citizenship instead of running and having her look over her shoulder all of her life.

We traveled to many countries world wide and were asked for identification at every entry point. I never felt that I was being discriminated against even though most of the countries were predominately races unlike my own.

I am really tired of this racist, discrimination, legal rights for illegals garbage being yapped about by groups in this country. The people I know are not racists, they just want to know who is coming into the country and the color of their skin or the language they speak is unimportant.

altus2006

Last edited by altus2006; 07-26-2010 at 07:12 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
If everyone so outraged about 1070 had put half the effort into real immigration reform as they have into crucifying Arizona, we might have a viable path to citizenship in place by now which would have prevented such legislation in the first place.

I guess it's perfectly acceptable to allow a caste system of sub-citizens to swell into the millions, so long as it's convenient.
Reagan gave amnesty to the illegals several decades ago and now we have millions more because the borders are still not secured. The illegals need to go home instead of waiting around for citizenship to be given to them.

Lessons have been learned from this bad policy and I don't think Congress will push through another free citizenship to people here illegally.

My yard man, who is an Hispanic US citizen, is about to lose his home to foreclosure because of the cheap labor of the illegals which makes his ability to make a decent wage impossible when he has to pay for insurance, taxes and other business expenses not provided by the under the table employers of illegals.

The store, owned by another US born Hispanic, where I bought the tile for my house has already closed because they couldn't compete with the low labor of the illegals.

I could go on and on about people I know personally who are losing their homes and businesses due to the low wages paid to illegals by unethical businessmen. I do not know of any US Hispanics personally that want amnesty for the illegals here.

Governor Brewer has it right when she says for the illegals to go home and take their kids with them.

altus2006

Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Being in the US illegally is a civil violation not a criminal one - just like a ticket from the (former) freeway cams. The AZ state law wants to make it a crime in AZ, but I am pretty sure that part will be enjoined or tossed out completely as it is one of the few areas of SB1070 that go above and beyond US law.
Federal law generally establishes the floor, not the ceiling. States can exceed it, just not undercut it. Should be interesting to see how this plays out in court because there are loads of precedents that favor the states.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Dang! I wish I could leave that easily. I guess they don't have jobs, mortgages, kids in school, or family in the area. Just legal and footloose.
i know right, guess they are going when they can idk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona