Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM

38,982 posts, read 50,923,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastchick View Post
this post is old, but i was just wondering? is someone from az gonna explain why blacks leave or why they visit and decide not to move there? good and bad points were made, but i it seems to me like if it's all that...?
I don't know that they do or that they do in higher numbers than other groups who come here, but some of my in-laws (black) grew up in southern cities and miss the black "communities" found there. There is nothing quite like that here - no defacto racial segregation in housing. People are segregated, to be sure, but it is more on economic lines instead. Maybe the unfamiliarity/challenges of living in mostly white suburbs or the lack of concentrations of black people bothers them like it does some of my extended family.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,043 times
Default oooooooooooh

read some earlier posts. seems like people get mean in az if you speak bad about it. don't people realize that the civil rights movement was only about 40 years ago? that's not that long ago. during the civil rights movement, whenever black people complained, protested, marched or spoke out about their negative experiences in america, seems like they were villanized, demonized or just put down like in this thread. of course, people want to defend where they live, but damn.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Default nonononono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know that they do, but some of my in-laws (black) grew up in southern cities and miss the black "communities" found there. There is nothing quite like that here - no defacto racial segregation in housing. People are segregated, to be sure, but it is more on economic lines instead. Maybe the unfamiliarity/challenges of living in mostly white suburbs or the lack of concentrations of black people bothers them like it does some of my extended family.

it doesn't sound like people, who complained about az being unwelcoming to some races were referring to not being able to live in a black community. it sounds like they were talking about lots of "under the surface" not overt racism there. it's probably obvious to anyone moving to az that most likely, about a 90% chance they'll be living around mostly white people. sounds like they were talking about a whole lot more.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:13 PM

38,982 posts, read 50,923,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastchick View Post
it doesn't sound like people, who complained about az being unwelcoming to some races were referring to not being able to live in a black community. it sounds like they were talking about lots of "under the surface" not overt racism there. it's probably obvious to anyone moving to az that most likely, about a 90% chance they'll be living around mostly white people. sounds like they were talking about a whole lot more.
Some people see "under the surface" racism in just about everyting and use it to justify their personal failings. I can't speak to others' experiences, of course, but I've lived in AZ as the white half of a mixed relationship with mixed kids and have never been treated with discrimination here. My wife would second that and my daughter has many friends, is accepted and in all the "in" groups in school and has the respect of her teachers in spite of her skin color. When we visited the south and some areas in the east and midwest, the headshakes and stares were obvious and the bigotry was palpable - from both sides. If you prefer to live in that kind of environment, be my guest.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:28 PM

Default okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Some people see "under the surface" racism in just about everyting and use it to justify their personal failings. I can't speak to others' experiences, of course, but I've lived in AZ as the white half of a mixed relationship with mixed kids and have never been treated with discrimination here. My wife would second that and my daughter has many friends, is accepted and in all the "in" groups in school and has the respect of her teachers in spite of her skin color. When we visited the south and some areas in the east and midwest, the headshakes and stares were obvious and the bigotry was palpable - from both sides. If you prefer to live in that kind of environment, be my guest.

dude, just because a chick says she experienced something nasty in the az, why you gotta put it down by saying how some people see it in everything and use it to justify their personal failings? you said you can't speak to others' experiences. you think you may want to stick to that? I mean, just because everything for you and your family in az is beautiful, doesn't mean that someone else having a different time there is seeing racism everywhere. if i'm reading you wrong, forgive me, but it sounds like you are attempting to discount some things said on the board, but you're doing it kinda on the sly. forgive me if i'm dead wrong. i can be wrong sometimes. i think no one "prefers" to live in that type of environment, but some people must unless they're rich and can just easily sell their house in this economic recession then jet set off to somewhere else.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,320,284 times
Goodness gracious alive...

Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 AM

230 posts, read 582,338 times
Default Well

I see the board is still ticking. If anyone black wants to know what Arizona is like for most blacks who've move here, go to a thread called "African American community throughout Arizona. There you will find mostly what I've said all along about what it's like here for most blacks. So for those of you considering moving here, it's a great, honest and real source. You'll find that folks are saying that after 2 years here they've basically had enough and they are going south not because of what they heard about Arizona but because of what they've personally experienced here in the last 2 years. It basically explains why there are not many blacks here in the first place. They just don't stick around for too long.

White people, please try to understand, you cannot explain to other black people what it's really like here unless you are black. Also, I have found some good things here in Arizona in spite of the underlying racism that exits. I guess that's what we have to do wherever we go. It's just sad to have to go through it here at teach my kids too how to survive.

Needless to say, I have adjusted. It was painful, but you have to sink or swim. Anyone who needs advice or help learning how to adjust as a black person here can ask. Unlike most folks, I understand. It's not all in your head. Peace.

Last edited by annibelle; 08-19-2008 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: additions

Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 PM

White people, please try to understand, you cannot explain to other black people what it's really like here unless you are black.

Conversely (and unfortunately), it appears to work the other way as well.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 PM

230 posts, read 582,338 times
Default Oh so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
White people, please try to understand, you cannot explain to other black people what it's really like here unless you are black.

Conversely (and unfortunately), it appears to work the other way as well.
It's true and the only reason why I joined in on the thread. It's weird to hear white people say what the place is like for a black family wanting to move here. How can you really know what it's like for everyone else? My husband can only say what it's like for him (white person) from his perspective and experiences.

This is so true. I only get a glimpse of what certain situations are like for white people since my husband is white. Yet, as a couple some of our situations are very different and a few are similar in Arizona. He doesn't like it because he sees the educational system as being substandard and he feels like people are not as friendly as in Cali. Yet, he thinks it's beautiful here and loves the out doors.

Besides, a greeting of "Arizona love it or leave it" may not sound too neighborly and inviting to others who may be considering moving here.

Last edited by annibelle; 08-19-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 08-19-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
It's true and the only reason why I joined in on the thread. It's weird to hear white people say what the place is like for a black family wanting to move here. How can you really know what it's like for everyone else? My husband can only say what it's like for him (white person) from his perspective and experiences.

This is so true. I only get a glimpse of what certain situations are like for white people since my husband is white. Yet, as a couple some of our situations are very different and a few are similar in Arizona. He doesn't like it because he sees the educational system as being substandard and he feels like people are not as friendly as in Cali. Yet, he thinks it's beautiful here and loves the out doors.

Besides, a greeting of "Arizona love it or leave it" may not sound too neighborly and inviting to others who may be considering moving here.

Thanx for your thoughts. Hmmm... maybe you have a point about my "greeting"... I'll give it some thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona