Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:02 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times

Advertisements

I a friend of mine once joked with me that all of the blacks living in Arizona play for either the Phoenix Suns or the Phoenix Mercury, lol as he was obviously making fun about how there are so few blacks in the state.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
Default ajo/curley school

I strongly urge anyone who is an artist to avoid the Curley school in Ajo, AZ. The curley school is a scam, it is not artist housing, it is a HUD housing project. If you are interested in finding artists and an artistic community, this is not the place. If you don't believe me, come for a visit. This project is a joke, it's just not funny.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchultz33 View Post
This REALLY pisses me off! If a had a penny for everytime I was called a honky or cracker! I moved from AZ to Mississippi and too many of the blacks want to live "separating" themselves rather than being part of a larger picture of a diverse community. I wish someone had told me to never move to Mississippi - the reverse discrimination is abominable! The blacks have “their” places and God forbid if you go there as a white person! Heck – there is a Wal –Mart here that apparently BELONGS to the blacks and the black cashiers will close out their drawer or turn their back and leave for break when it’s your turn in line. Then they giggle about it with the manager! Just one of many experiences that has taught me what racism is – I did not learn it from the black friends I had growing up in AZ. SO RUDE! I could say “unprofessional” but the words would be lost on people who practice such trivial behavior. Racism does not apply specifically to black people!
You all could learn a lesson of two from our Mexican population! I went to high school and college in AZ and most of my friends were of different races than my self - didn't matter one bit! If someone asked me what race a friend of mine was – I’d really have to think about it – it’s transparent. I’d probably asked them to clarify the question! In my experience, blacks from the south seem to want to draw lines between cultures. However on a positive note - the black behavior I have experienced has given me a new APPRECIATION for AZ Hispanic population with their real struggles and how well they assimilate in to their communities. I'm sure if someone said "hang em high" it would mean something totally different to you - than it does to us in Arizona. You would be ready to scream and sue whoever said it.. Get over it or please leave.
well now you know how people of color had felt for the last 200yrs.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,965 times
Hello O Nana, my husband has a job offer in Arizona also and if he accepts the offer we will be moving over there also. We don't know anyone over there and as I just log-on to this page, I read your email first. Hopefully, if in the same area, your family and our family may get to meet. I understand there is only 4 % blacks there, so we really got to do our homework. Please have your wife to email me at lophillipsrhea@yahoo.com to let me know how things are when you all get there and I will update your family on the location we will be moving to. God Luck and Keep God First because he is the one, who we will need and depend on, with the move.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,373 times
I appreciate the comments that I read about both AZ and MS because my family is looking for a nice quiet place to move and avoid as much drama as possible. We have been in the shoes of most of you with the cashiers at Wal-mart and the schools of our children and ourselves. I can truly say that I learned so much from being in those situations. I have found that I have a low tolerance for ignorance and it comes in all shades. We are black and even though small towns have so much to learn about the "real world", there are so many things that they have to offer for those who prefer to live there. I am not talking about all, because I have not been everywhere. Thanks again

Old 04-18-2009, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,479 times
I am looking to move to Phoenix Arizona in 3 months. I am looking to move in a diverse neighborhood being from ny and all any suggestions out there?????

Old 04-18-2009, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,479 times
I am suppose to be moving to Phoenix Arizona in 3 months. I wanted to know honestly are there any diverse neighborhoods including african americans as myself. Dang I feel like I might not want to go out there. I am from NYC the most diverse city in the world I think...HELP

Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 PM

269 posts, read 1,257,971 times
I have lived in Ariziona for 3 years now and am amazed at how few black people I see here. IF as a white person I moved to an area where white people were few and far between I think I would feel a little uncomfortable. I do think however that people here are very nice and have not seen a lot of prejudices here,just a frustration over open borders.
--

Old 07-14-2009, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,042 times
My husband and I are presently living in TX. He is from Finland Europe and I am from Houston TX. We have been talking about moving out of TX. And have considered AZ. I have no problem living in a city were the black population is about 4%. I would have a problem not being able to have a hair salon that does not do black hair. I will not let this discourage me. Because I see myself as one for making things happen. If someone is reading these blogs. That should how there is a need for black business. I would love to open a soul food restaurant for everyone. White and Black. I love reading about AZ and will still consider moving there.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
well now you know how people of color had felt for the last 200yrs.
And two wrongs do not make a right.

FYI: quite a few racist Blacks do not like American Indians either-------perhaps in many cases the latter's skin is not dark enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona