Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When most people think of Arizona they think of...
A sandy, desolate desert with absolutly nothing for miles and is 120 degrees everyday 63 50.00%
Summer time and how every season is an endless summer 15 11.90%
A mix of forests, mountians, and deserts all combinded into the state that make it perfect for almost everyone 38 30.16%
Phoenix, there's no where else to live but Phoenix 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was born here and I voted for #1. Not because *I've* never been here but because many people I've talked to over the years HAVEN'T been here and those are THEIR impressions, not mine. Or most of the people on this board. I think you misunderstood the question. I doubt you'll get any arguments for what you've posted. From people who actually live here, and like it, anyway. The question was aimed at people who DON'T know what AZ is really like but what they THINK it's like.

That is all!
I understood the question very well, and I'm sure many who responded to the first item are locals, who think that so many people had that impression of Arizona being a sandy/desolate desert with daytime highs of 120 degrees everyday. I pointed that out in the first paragraph of my message.

The rest of the message was to inform anyone outside of Arizona, who have never been here and don't know anything about the state, to let them know the facts, and dispel the impressions they got, just by reading the results of the poll. Of course the item in the poll that stated:
A mix of forests, mountains, and deserts all combinded into the state that make it perfect for almost everyone came second in the poll.

Also, I haven't talked to anyone outside of the state, who had the wrong impression of Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:25 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,803 times
Excellent thread. When I was in the Army, that is all I would hear when I told everyone where I was from. "There's nothing there," "its too hot," "in the middle of nowhere," They are all ignorant. Arizona is divided into 3 regions. Desert, Mountain, and Plateau. The Majority of Arizona is Nice weather.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:03 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
Excellent thread. When I was in the Army, that is all I would hear when I told everyone where I was from. "There's nothing there," "its too hot," "in the middle of nowhere," They are all ignorant. Arizona is divided into 3 regions. Desert, Mountain, and Plateau. The Majority of Arizona is Nice weather.
Somewhere in Arizona has nice weather every day of the year.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:13 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
The Sonoran desert is also very scenic in many areas.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I'm not sure why the first item has the most responses in the poll (26 responses as of now) which makes me think that most of those respondents have never been in, or know anything about Arizona.

I am an Arizona native, born and raised in Phoenix, and the 120 degrees is an exaggeration, average daytime highs in the summer are nowhere near 120 degrees, even in the hottest part of the state (Lake Havasu) and it's not 120 degrees "everyday", we do get very hot days in July and August, with daytime highs of 110-115 degrees for maybe a total of 2 weeks, and those days are scattered. The average high temperature from Early June, through September is 105 degrees, and we get cooler days with highs below 100 on occasions. We've had a high temperature record of 122 degrees on June 26th of 1990, but that's rare. Plus the fact that the humidity is very low, when it's 110-115 degrees, it's not as uncomfortable as those readings would suggest. I've visited places with daytime highs of 95 degrees, with humidity above 75%, and it felt a lot more miserable than 110, and 10% humidity.

The state also has a diverse climate and terrain, it's not all barren desert, there is some green in the desert and high desert areas, and just 75 miles northwest of Phoenix, is Prescott, at an elevation of 5,300 feet, it's a good summer get-away, and Flagstaff, at the elevation of 7,000 feet, it is also another cool summer get-away 120 miles north of Phoenix, plus other towns in the White Mountains, like Showlow, Pinetop, at elevations between 6,700 to 8,500 feet. All of those towns/cities also get snow in the winters.

Keep in mind also, the weather in the desert elevations is very nice from October until the end of May, and this year we didn't really see too many 100-degree days until June, and the mornings, and nights were very nice throughout May.
I am an Arizona native and born in Phoenix also. I know it doesn't get up to 120 degrees, heck it hasn't even been 115 degrees this year. I was posting that because while I was on youtube watching videos about AZ there were people from LA and other places saying that Phoenix and Arizona gets no rain, it's 120 degrees everyday here, everybody in Az hates living here, it's one big desolated desert as if in the aftermath of a nuclear war. I posted a comment on there and it was voted as the highest and best rated comment. I just wanted to see what other people thought. Arizona, in my opinion, is the best state in the country.It has every climate from the lower actual sand dunes near Yuma to arctic tundra ontop of out tallest peaks. Everything except an ocean, and yes we do have beaches, sandy beaches along some lakes.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM

260 posts, read 511,616 times
Quote:
A lot of people travel thousands of miles to come here to Arizona just to meditate. Like people go on pilgrimages to the holy land, Izrael ,Jerusalem, Mecca and Marmara.
And I dont think very many people go on a pilgrimage to meditate in any of the Bible belt states.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Most people think of...SHERIFF JOE

Old 08-14-2010, 08:21 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
@ Magnum Mike. Yep. Some of the folks in this thread have voted the poll as they want to keep others to believe. I don't blame them. I posted as if I had voted the same, but if'n my post was read I voted the same as you, because even though I wasn't born in AZ I sure as crap fell like I was. And as far as the rest of what you said in the 'rep', yup, yup, yup.

My first trip to AZ was Flagstaff in 1964. I was hiked up on the shoulders of the guy to the left in the picture. The guy to the right is my Dad.
Attached Thumbnails
When most people think of Arizona they think of...-goldwaterdad64.jpg  

Old 08-15-2010, 06:08 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,509 times
Finally some Arizona natives posting here.!! Arizona imo is one of the most beautiful states in the US. I love how diverse the state is. From cactus studed desert to the spruce-fir forest in the mountains. As i like to say"Hi to the pine, bye to the cacti".

Old 08-16-2010, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 12,278 times
I personally thing of the Mother Road and the Painted Desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona