Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which town has best year-round temp, water, fruit-veggie growth, activities, hospitality, cleanlines
McNeal 0 0%
Elfrida 2 20.00%
Sunizona 1 10.00%
Pearce 2 20.00%
Bisbee 2 20.00%
Wilcox 1 10.00%
Cochise 0 0%
Hereford 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 PM

24 posts, read 72,688 times

Advertisements

Hello All
I would like to get objective opinions on McNeal, Pearce, Sunizona, Elfrida, Bisbee below based on the following criteria:

Year-round temperate climate
Wide variety of fruit & vegetable growth
Availability of well water (average well-depths)
Access to hiking (mountain climbing too)
Cleanliness
Privacy
Character of town
Hospitality

Ok, I said objective, so let me re-word that to subjectively objective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 05:46 PM

206 posts, read 534,904 times
Definetly Bisbee for weather, and hence, growing, but the people are strange, I.M.O.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 AM

24 posts, read 72,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Definetly Bisbee for weather, and hence, growing, but the people are strange, I.M.O.
Mike your reply made me laugh...
I can neither deny nor confirm about the strangeness of the Bisbee populace. Ummmm...everyone has their own "unique" Bisbee experience(s).

Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM

168 posts, read 502,419 times
I would say

Pearce/Sunsites #1

Willcox #2

Bisbee#3

Bisbee is very cool, but I would not want to live there.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:27 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Pearce/Sunsites, Elfrida, Sunizona & McNeal all have a great climate and would be a great spot for growing - but, all are pretty remote in my opinion - with long drives to major shopping and services.

Bisbee is a very interesting place but a bit cold in the winter. I also worry about water quality at any place involved in copper mining as there is enormous potential for groundwater contamination with some pretty toxic chemicals used in the mining and extraction process.

Hereford is a bit "scruffy" in places but has an ideal climate, awsome views (the most beautiful of all the areas you mention), and easy access to the shopping and services of Sierra Vista. If you are out a ways you could also have illegal immigrant issues. Overall, though the Hereford area is my obsolute favorite section of SE Arizona - bar none (I like it even more than where bought land in J-6).

For what it's worth...

Ken

Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 AM

123 posts, read 350,132 times
I live in Pearce/Sunsites, but I think Elfrida has more what you want . . . water is about the same in the valley, they have a clinic, and a community garden, still not much "social life" here, but that is great!

Our wells are 350' - 600' weather gets below freezing in the winter mornings, but warms up to around mid 60's, summers range from high 60's in the morning to just low 100's We have had less than 9" of rain since Jan one at my home.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:04 PM

76 posts, read 259,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Pearce/Sunsites, Elfrida, Sunizona & McNeal all have a great climate and would be a great spot for growing - but, all are pretty remote in my opinion - with long drives to major shopping and services.

Bisbee is a very interesting place but a bit cold in the winter. I also worry about water quality at any place involved in copper mining as there is enormous potential for groundwater contamination with some pretty toxic chemicals used in the mining and extraction process.

Hereford is a bit "scruffy" in places but has an ideal climate, awsome views (the most beautiful of all the areas you mention), and easy access to the shopping and services of Sierra Vista. If you are out a ways you could also have illegal immigrant issues. Overall, though the Hereford area is my obsolute favorite section of SE Arizona - bar none (I like it even more than where bought land in J-6).

For what it's worth...

Ken
I have to agree 100%.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenthumber View Post
Hello All
I would like to get objective opinions on McNeal, Pearce, Sunizona, Elfrida, Bisbee below based on the following criteria:

Year-round temperate climate
Wide variety of fruit & vegetable growth
Availability of well water (average well-depths)
Access to hiking (mountain climbing too)
Cleanliness
Privacy
Character of town
Hospitality

Ok, I said objective, so let me re-word that to subjectively objective
As far as climate goes, I would say they have all about the same from what I've seen, but I don't live there.

I don't know about the gardens, but I am a plant person and is one of the reasons I bought there.

My nieghbors well is 400'

My favorite place to hike is the Dragoon mts, so I would say Sunsites. Only a short drive to cooler temps and awesome hiking. And not that far from the Chiricahua's

Sunsites is probably the cleanest out of all of them, next I would say Elfrida, Bisbee is clean, but is a much different than the others on your list. "bigger and older"

Of cource the more remote the more privacy, Sunizona from what I've seen in the general area.

Character would hands down go to Bisbee in a crazy way! But in a good way I would say Sunsites.

Hospitality, I would say they are all ok, I met a lot of nice people in Sunsites, Willcox not on your list but nice people, Elfrida nice lady at the store. My nieghbor's south of Sunsites, nicest people you could ever meet!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Just so everyone knows, the OP hasn't been back to C-D in two years. Additional info on these towns is welcome to help others, but the OP is unlikely to see your posts.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Just so everyone knows, the OP hasn't been back to C-D in two years. Additional info on these towns is welcome to help others, but the OP is unlikely to see your posts.
Of cource, but you are right it is a good post to help others looking in the same area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona