Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 AM

12 posts, read 19,222 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm driving cross country from Chicago to LA and I plan on stopping at the Grand Canyon (South Rim) to check out all its glory. I can't stay for more than a couple hours, but I'd love to go on a hike to get some great views of the canyon. Any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 AM

509 posts, read 1,697,459 times
since you are pressed for time my suggestion is that when you enter GC gate drive to the right and look for signs to "Desert View". IMO it is the least crowded and the view will knock you for a loop . the drive alone will take a while as it is a about a 19 mile drive . there are several other points along the way you could view if you can spare the time . just my opinion is that if you cannot spend more time you are doing injustice to yourself , BUT that is your right and i know how we can be pressed for time . i have been guilty of that myself more times than i can recall .so go ahead and enjoy what you can . as you drive West 5 miles past mile marker 146 look to your right and wave to the house on top of the hill . i'll be looking for that

Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
I would suggest turning in Flagstaff head up to Cameron and catch that end of the canyon. Continue west toward the main area all along this road are view points to stop and look. Then you can head on down towards Tusayan and on down to Williams to continue your journey. this prevents a nice loop and not a out and back.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,102 times
Bring water, and some granola bars. The heat this time of year is gonna drain you if you hike.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,624 times
I'm also driving to Oklahoma from California in October, and will pass through AZ and would like to see the Grand Canyon! I hope it the weather is cooler by then.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,102 times
October is the perfect time to see the Grand Canyon. In my opinion, October and April are the 2 best months for Arizona. The weather is for me, almost perfect.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
I would suggest turning in Flagstaff head up to Cameron and catch that end of the canyon. Continue west toward the main area all along this road are view points to stop and look. Then you can head on down towards Tusayan and on down to Williams to continue your journey. this prevents a nice loop and not a out and back.
I would second this suggestion. My family and I did exactly this and it worked out quite well.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
I just realized this did not quite make sense.

this might be better

this makes a nice loop and is not a out and back trip.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLotus View Post
I'm also driving to Oklahoma from California in October, and will pass through AZ and would like to see the Grand Canyon! I hope it the weather is cooler by then.
Go to the south face. It's extraorninary. You can see the sky and the ground and waves of rock jutting out behind it. It give you a sense of what it is and how huge.

Also, on your way, stop by Metior Crater. Its unbelievaly awsome too. It took about 6 seconds for this enormous hole to be carved out of the ground. And what you see is literally miles above the bottom of the crater, where the debris fell. They have yet to find the bottom it is so deep.

And it took about 6 million years for the river to create the Grand Canyon. Quite a comparison. It makes a wonderful set of bookends.

And when you get to OK hoping its nice and warm but not beastly like its been or early cold. Its spectacular here that time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona