Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 PM

12 posts, read 17,203 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are talking about relocating to the Phoenix area. I have been doing some research on places to live and I still have all kinds of questions I am hoping some of you can answer.

I also realize that people freak out about the critters, myself included. But I am trying not to. Please realize that I am from the NW and I have never seen a scorpion, so naturally there is a bit of a fear.

So here is where I am at. We would like to move into an area that is pretty safe, and somewhat newer. We are hoping to have kids down the road and want a place where they will be safe. I have read that Gilbert is a nice place?

Also, I have read that if you live on the outskirts, near the dessert etc. that the chance of having scorpions is higher. With that said, where can we live that meet the above requirements, yet avoid having too many scorpions? I realize that we may not be able to avoid them all together....

And, I have read that many people say they find them in their clothing, shoes or bed....what are ways to prevent that? Does hiring a Pest Co. take care of these critters?

Any tips, or advice would be so awesome.

Oh one more minor question....spiders....again, are they pretty manageable with pest control?

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 05:19 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I don't know what "too many" scorpions is. I have 'em at my house - got stung just yesterday in fact. But we see maybe 3-4 per year in the house if that and a few in the garage (hint: they like to hide in the expansion joint under the overhead door). It's a summer thing primarily, too. It's not like they are just running wild over the furniture or anything. I might not even see them if we sprayed for the other bugs they eat, but I am leary of pesticides, particularly around kids. So we take out chances with the occasional scorpion.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks Ponderosa. I guess part of me was hoping "too many" meant none. But I do realize that they are a part of life in Arizona.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoniansonthemove View Post
Thanks Ponderosa. I guess part of me was hoping "too many" meant none. But I do realize that they are a part of life in Arizona.
There are many who have been here for years who swear they never see them. My neighbor next door to me (also on the desert preserve) has seen one in about 20 years. They spray like there's no tomorrow, though.

I think that if you move here you will see that your fears are way out of proportion to the problem.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Are you aware of the impact on pets? Namely, cats? I don't know if my house cat will be much of a hunter, and I would hate for him to run into one of the Bark Scorpions and not know what to do with it.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Some say cats are immune. Cats do mess with them. I think cats are just quick enough to avoid being stung. They seem to be able to hear them and will pick and poke under and around things. Our cat was showing a great interest in table once and I hunted in the crevices and behold, there was a scorpion hiding there. As far as them keeping scorpions under control, well I ain't buying it. They are far too lazy to spend time looking for them. My dogs FEAR them. In fact, the dog is a good indicator of when one is about as they run away and cower and stare at the place they saw it. I think both of them must have taken it on the nose at one time. Scorpion stings hurt and are not something even a dog would forget.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM

Your poor pup! That's what I heard about the cats, I just know mine. He may be too scared without getting stung!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:05 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Also, it depends on where in the state you'll be moving. I assume it will be Phoenix or Tucson, but this is the Arizona forum, so you never know....

Old 08-26-2010, 06:50 PM

131 posts, read 439,534 times
Ritchie is correct. You would not be a happy camper in the Sedona area. Putting aside all the animals that would be trooping through your property, scorpions, tarantulas, rattlesnakes, and lizards by the gazillions are underfoot in most neighborhoods. No one has mentioned that the scorpions are little critters compared to the usual vision. Someone tell me if they are bigger in other parts of the state if so.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
The spray does nothing to kill the scorpions themselves, but it controls the bugs that they feed on. There are SO many scorpion threads here started by people like you who are WAY more concerned about them than they need to be. Most people have never seen one, or more than one.

Gilbert is a nice place. Unless you are both working at home, you need to base a lot of the decision about where to live on where you will be working. This is a very spread out place, and commutes can be VERY long. Gilbert may not be close to where you end up working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona