Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 AM

146 posts, read 481,867 times

Advertisements

I doubt it will be under $100 per paycheck, I pay more than that and I don't make 40k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean a "flat tax" but we no longer get an option as to how much of a percentage we want to pay. At least my employer isn't giving us an option. For instance, if my Fed. tax was $54.00 my State tax would be 10 or 20% of that...used to be, anyway when we had the option. Now, if my Fed. tax is $54 my State tax is around $45. Quite a jump! And when I was hired we never filled out a state tax deduction form, only Federal.
Go look at that A-4 form info I posted a link to.. I have ALWAYS filled out A-4's, the old version of that same form is the one you used to use to elect the percentage of federal withholding you wanted to have deducted for your state tax. Do the math on the new form, and fill one out with the rate you elect, and turn it in to your employer.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
but that's not bad tho...I was thinking they take a $1000 a months........or in those lines....if it's under $100 that's not the end of the world....at least it's state tax that might help some state programs....unlike the text messaging charges that go straight into someone's pocket and help nothing!
I don't complain about the taxes I pay. I generally get all of it back at tax time anyway because I don't make that much money. I consider it sort of a 'savings plan'.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Go look at that A-4 form info I posted a link to.. I have ALWAYS filled out A-4's, the old version of that same form is the one you used to use to elect the percentage of federal withholding you wanted to have deducted for your state tax. Do the math on the new form, and fill one out with the rate you elect, and turn it in to your employer.
Like I said in the above post...I don't complain about the taxes I pay. And I doubt Wal Mart is going to listen to ME if I want to change my tax deduction. I don't pay that much in taxes and generally get all of it back anyway.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I don't complain about the taxes I pay. I generally get all of it back at tax time anyway because I don't make that much money. I consider it sort of a 'savings plan'.
Are you serious?

You're giving the goverment a interest free loan by doing this, why would you even consider it?

I always laugh at the people who get huge returns, I would much rather have a large paycheck, and put the extra cash into a interest yielding savings account.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Like I said in the above post...I don't complain about the taxes I pay. And I doubt Wal Mart is going to listen to ME if I want to change my tax deduction. I don't pay that much in taxes and generally get all of it back anyway.
Actually, Wal-Mart WILL "listen to you" if you give them that form asking for a different rate. The same would be true if, for whatever reason, you filed a new W-4 to change the number of exemptions on your FEDERAL tax rate. The HR people push a few buttons on their computer, and it's done.

If you want the state to use that much more of your money for free, and you don't "really need it" (even though you sounded like you were complaining about how much the withholding had gone up, so it seems that having that extra money back WOULD be a good thing), then don't spend the few minutes it would take to prepare the form and get it back.

And, think about this. If the budget crisis here gets worse, we may get IOUs for tax refunds, like California. Think about that, too--- you might not "get it all back" as fast as you think. Another reason not to let them keep your money.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
Are you serious?

You're giving the goverment a interest free loan by doing this, why would you even consider it?

I always laugh at the people who get huge returns, I would much rather have a large paycheck, and put the extra cash into a interest yielding savings account.
I work part time. My yearly Fed. tax is around $300 year. My bank pays about 2% interest on savings accounts. Is it worth it? If I paid thousands of dollars a year, it might be. My paycheck will never be "large", no matter what.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Actually, Wal-Mart WILL "listen to you" if you give them that form asking for a different rate. The same would be true if, for whatever reason, you filed a new W-4 to change the number of exemptions on your FEDERAL tax rate. The HR people push a few buttons on their computer, and it's done.

If you want the state to use that much more of your money for free, and you don't "really need it" (even though you sounded like you were complaining about how much the withholding had gone up, so it seems that having that extra money back WOULD be a good thing), then don't spend the few minutes it would take to prepare the form and get it back.

And, think about this. If the budget crisis here gets worse, we may get IOUs for tax refunds, like California. Think about that, too--- you might not "get it all back" as fast as you think. Another reason not to let them keep your money.
I wasn't complaining at all about the taxes going up. I was just commenting on it. I don't pay enough in taxes to "complain". Between Fed. and State refunds I get about $400 a year back. If I made big money, paid high taxes and didn't get ANYTHING back, it might bother me. As it is, it doesn't.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
I work part time. My yearly Fed. tax is around $300 year. My bank pays about 2% interest on savings accounts. Is it worth it? If I paid thousands of dollars a year, it might be. My paycheck will never be "large", no matter what.
If you make less than $15,000 a year you can file exempt, pay no taxes.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
If you make less than $15,000 a year you can file exempt, pay no taxes.
I do make less than that. I guess that's why I get it all back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona