Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,209,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1985 View Post
I will have to put down bermuda seeds next spring.
I'd skip the rye this year then, concentrate on getting the yard cleaned up from weeds, then do the bermuda in the spring (the bermuda will do a much better job of choking out any remaining weeds), and overseed the rye next October. But, that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 01:06 AM

8,024 posts, read 12,174,447 times
Here's what I do every October (usually around the first to middle part of the month depending on how hot it still is):

* Use a dethatcher to rid the lawn of any weeds or summer grasses, or in some cases, the dead rye from the previous winter.
* Apply rye grass seed using a seed spreader. It's always good to go over the lawn several times to make sure a healthy dose of seed is covering it. NOTE: make sure the ground is completely dry before laying seed.
* Use new lawn fertilizer over the seeded area.
* Cover the whole lawn with mulch. I like to use the Miracle Grow brand.
* Water lightly every day, preferably two to three times a day in short durations until the seed starts to germinate. Don't water heavily.

One of the problems with rye grass is the weeds that appear during the late winter & spring, especially if there is a good share of rain. I had this problem last season with clover weeds ... and the thing to do is to water the lawn, then use Scott's "2 in 1Fertilizer/Weed Killer" on the weeds, but don't water for a while after applying.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:23 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,991,478 times
Are you putting grass in where there was rock before? Oh brother. I did that in my back yard. Just preparing the ground for the grass seed was a chore. Had to rake all the rocks out. Rototill the hard hard ground. Add some soil to the ground. rake more rocks out. Put some fertilizer in the dirt. Put the grass seed down. (I threw it). Water 4 times a day. Wait for the grass to appear. Throw more grass seed down. Water some more. Then after all of that, you have to mow it every week. Was it worth it?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 PM

56 posts, read 235,319 times
Ok I bought some "weed and crabgrass killer" by Bayer that connects to a garden hose. I was planning on using that around the yard to kill the weeds before I start rototilling.

But my question is, it's suppose to kill weeds.. but after it kills the weeds and I remove them, will it be safe to plant seed? Or will this weed killer stuff make the ground 'toxic'?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Also, what would be better to use.. a dethatcher (assuming I can rent one) or a rototiller?

Could I just skip the weed killer and just use a dethatcher?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM

44,548 posts, read 61,249,428 times
You only use a dethatcher on an existing lawn. In your case use a rototiller. Rototilling down to at least 6 inches is the norm. After cleaning out the rocks and debris then rototill again this time rotilling in soil amendments ie. sand/mulch/humis tilled in makes for a perfect foundation for growing.
If you are rototilling then you do not need to use the weed killer as the rototilling will kill the weeds as it turns the soil.
Use the following site for correct winter rye planting and care.
Winter Rye Grass - Planting Phoenix Winter Grass

Old 10-02-2010, 01:06 PM

nitram~ Excellent information! THANK YOU!!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,636 times
@Desertspiritsteve - are you sure the birds won't eat it all, just had winter rye put down yesterday and I look out the window this morning to a lawn full of darn pigeons eating my seed, I've gotten tired of going out and chasing them away as they wait across the street on the roof for 10 minutes then come back. **Heavy Sigh**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona