Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are going to Bisbee and Tombstone next weekend. The only thing we have planned is to go do the mine tour in Bisbee. Anyone have any other ideas? Referrals on places to stay would be appreciated, too! I can only find two hotels down there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 02:25 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
I have yet to make the trip but I've heard that Tombstone is a tourist trap and Bisbee is amazing.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:59 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I have yet to make the trip but I've heard that Tombstone is a tourist trap and Bisbee is amazing.
Well, Tombstone IS a bit of tourist trap - but you know what, there's a reason for that - it's pretty darned cool. It feesl & looks EXACTLY the way you'd imagine an old west to to feel and look like - JUST like in the movies.

Bisbee IS cool - but feels more like an old west city than old west town - and you know what, there's a reason for that too - Bisbee was a much more important place than Tombstone and the architecture reflects that - with more and larger buildings mostly built of brick rather than wood. It reminds me very much of Cripple Creek Colorado.

BOTH are COOL - and BOTH exude history. Bisbee has more charm since it's more of an arts community than Tombstone - but I actually prefer Tombstone - I mean, these ARE the streets Doc Holiday and the Earp brothers walked. So people make a living off of that history. Nothing wrong with that.

Ken

Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Here are some UNIQUE accommodations! I haven't stayed there, but I'm thinking it might be cool to do that some day... for a night that is! Or not... I was thinking the same of the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook on my recent trip, but decided to go with better creature comforts after all...

Welcome to the Shady Dell! (http://www.theshadydell.com/index.html - broken link)

I've spent the night only once in Bisbee and it was in some B & B. The big hotel in the heart of town looks cool and it's probably fine inside.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:54 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, Tombstone IS a bit of tourist trap - but you know what, there's a reason for that - it's pretty darned cool. It feesl & looks EXACTLY the way you'd imagine an old west to to feel and look like - JUST like in the movies.

Bisbee IS cool - but feels more like an old west city than old west town - and you know what, there's a reason for that too - Bisbee was a much more important place than Tombstone and the architecture reflects that - with more and larger buildings mostly built of brick rather than wood. It reminds me very much of Cripple Creek Colorado.

BOTH are COOL - and BOTH exude history. Bisbee has more charm since it's more of an arts community than Tombstone - but I actually prefer Tombstone - I mean, these ARE the streets Doc Holiday and the Earp brothers walked. So people make a living off of that history. Nothing wrong with that.

Ken
Awesome. Now, help me figure out some things to do while I'm there

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Here are some UNIQUE accommodations! I haven't stayed there, but I'm thinking it might be cool to do that some day... for a night that is! Or not... I was thinking the same of the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook on my recent trip, but decided to go with better creature comforts after all...

Welcome to the Shady Dell! (http://www.theshadydell.com/index.html - broken link)

I've spent the night only once in Bisbee and it was in some B & B. The big hotel in the heart of town looks cool and it's probably fine inside.
That is, hands down, the coolest thing I have ever seen. They don't have availability for the night we're going, though

Old 09-19-2010, 02:12 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,603 times
For Bisbee, we liked to eat at the High Desert Market (lunch or breakfast pastries), which is up Tombstone Canyon--away from downtown--by the courthouse. We also like Santiagos (I don't think I spelled that right), which is downtown, just up Brewery Gulch. They have really good margheritas! I perfer the coffee at the High Desert Market than the Bisbee Coffee Co., but many people disagree. That or they have never had the coffee at HDM. Also, if you do like coffee, we love Bisbee Coffee Roasters. They set up a table in a little alley way off of the main drag. And there is an awesome chocolatier just down from HDM. He closes for the summer, so hopefully he will be open already.

There is a nice farmers' market on Saturday mornings in the Warren section of Bisbee (they will have signs up directing you). There is usually some food and coffee being served, music playing, some artisans and a couple flea-market style booths up besides all the farmers' booths.

I just like to go through the shops in Bisbee and window shop, however, I would check the city calendar to see if there is anything special going on.

I don't have any experience with lodging, but I would choose to stay in Bisbee over Tombstone--there is more going on in Bisbee and it has a better nightlife, from what I here from my friends.

For Tombstone: We did the reenactment of shoot out at the OK corral and that was interesting enough. I have heard that the old courthouse-now state park is interesting, but I have never done it. I haven't had good food in Tombstone, although that's just my opinion. I have also done the ghost tour of the Birdcage Theater. I highly suggest that. Now, more than once someone has written here that the ghost tours there are just a marketing ploy. That may be, but.... To tour during the day, it costs $10. And really, after going through it, it seems like a waste of money. During the day, you just go through by yourself and walk by "memorabilia" from Tombstone. A lot of it is boring. The ghost tour is $20 and is guided. So you get more history behind certain objects, more history of the building and people, and some good ghosts stories too. Then you sit on the stage for 30 minutes with the lights out. For me, I just think it makes for a more interesting experience, whether the reported hauntings are true or not. However, I went the first time in the winter and it was a small group and we had a super time. The second time, I brought my mom and the group was really large and not as great, so I would request a time that had less people signed up for.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
That is, hands down, the coolest thing I have ever seen. They don't have availability for the night we're going, though
If you're interested, call them. The online calendar may be messed-up.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,603 times
The Bisbee Bluesfest is going on that Saturday: The Bisbee Blues Festival. It may be more difficult to find a room.

I hear good things about the Copper Queen hotel, too.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:30 PM

102 posts, read 229,907 times
We went to Tombstone in July, and it is true that everything costs money. There really isn't any nightlife in town, everything closes up after 5:00. Even the Saloons were empty. It was worth the trip to see the Good Enough mine, Birdcage theater, and the OK Corral. The town is cool, but only good for a day trip at best. Do not stay at the Tombstone Motel. We stayed at the Holiday in outside of downtown on the first of two days, and it was nicely accommodated with a pool. We spent day two at the Tombstone Motel, which was excellent for being within short walking distance of downtown, but the "suite" in the old building was musty, and furnished with what looked like garage sale reject furniture. The Tombstone was considerably more pricey than the Holiday Inn too, and it was lacking in all areas.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,854,815 times
We were there two years ago. We stayed at the Letson B & B on the main street with a view of downtown. It was not particularly cheap but probably the same as the Copper Hotel. As mentioned above, the High Desert has great food and is reasonable. We like Bisbee much better than Tombstone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona