U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-19-2010, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,776 times
Default Suggestions for relocating AWAY from AZ Please

My husband and I have lived in AZ for most of our lives. We really do love it...but are very much ready for a change. We have a young school-age child so are looking for a family friendly spot with great schools. We currently live in Cave Creek, AZ. He is in IT and I am in the Software industry.

Must haves:
- change of seasons
- affordable cost of living
- small town feel close to a large city
- Good schools/family community
- great outdoor amenities
- Jobs!

I know a lot of folks in AZ area are transplants so if you come from someplace you would consider moving back to...would love to hear about it. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM

7,549 posts, read 14,063,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHiker123 View Post
My husband and I have lived in AZ for most of our lives. We really do love it...but are very much ready for a change. We have a young school-age child so are looking for a family friendly spot with great schools. We currently live in Cave Creek, AZ. He is in IT and I am in the Software industry.

Must haves:
- change of seasons
- Jobs!

I know a lot of folks in AZ area are transplants so if you come from someplace you would consider moving back to...would love to hear about it. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Interesting approach, AZHiker . . .

I relocated to Arizona from California and I would NEVER recommend any portion of that state to anyone.

On the positive . . . have you considered Reno, Nevada or St George, Utah?

Unread 09-19-2010, 03:50 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,047,148 times
I moved to Arizona in 1996 from California. I was born in California.

Although the good parts of California are expensive, the public schools tend to be better than Arizona's public schools - something to keep in mind. Unfortunately, the more expensive it is to live, the better the schools. IIRC, Manhattan Beach has good schools.

Yes weather is a factor. I'm from Northern California, so I tend to like the higher abundance of rain in Northern California than Southern California.

I have no children so I am not really savvy on where it's all family-friendly. I'm focused on single-friendly areas.

Here is my list of places I like, and they are not in any particular order:
South Bay (Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, PVE).
Santa Monica and Venice Beach
Laguna Niguel
La Jolla
Santa Barbara
Santa Cruz
San Francisco
Berkeley (wll places to the east where it's safer)
Mendocino

I'm torn between the affordability of Phoenix and the permanent return to great weather and to have a pair of California plates on my car. Sure the sales taxes are high, but I already work in LA and am used to them.

I'm in software as well. Software is still fine in southern Californla.

I'm not sure about other states in case you are considering them. I think Phoenix software opportunities are stronger than many neighboring states still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHiker123 View Post

Must haves:
- change of seasons
- Jobs!

Unread 09-19-2010, 03:52 PM

655 posts, read 597,003 times
Move to hell, it's got to be cooler than the last few days in AZ

Unread 09-19-2010, 04:00 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,137,803 times
Welcome to the forum AZHiker123

I'd suggest you head to the Minnesota forum based
on your list

Must haves:
- change of seasons
- Jobs!

Unread 09-19-2010, 05:15 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,420,836 times
I agree with Mouser regarding Minnesota. Excellent schools, lower cost of living than here (I think). Is IBM still in Rochester?

Unread 09-19-2010, 06:24 PM

6,085 posts, read 9,209,426 times
Minnesota: nine months of winter, followed by 3 months of rain. Enjoy!

Unread 09-19-2010, 10:59 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,160,524 times
check out eugene oregon, they have seasons and jobs and everything else on your list

Unread 09-20-2010, 07:10 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,967,707 times
Check out Boise, lots of transplants from Arizona here. Only issue may be jobs, most of the IT jobs in Boise tend to be hardware related because of HP and Micron. May want to look at Micron, know a couple of people that work there and they are always telling me how hard it is for them to recruit new employees.

Unread 09-20-2010, 07:40 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,269,467 times
Check out Charlotte, NC....my hometown.....fits your description to a tee.....Family oriented/Change of seasons/Settled....all the things that Im not....That why Im looking to move out your way.....Love Love Love it....Phoenix cannot be beat.....But can understand why you want to move....You've been there a while, just as myself and Charlotte. So much to do in Phoenix.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona