Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times

Advertisements

If, we want to visit a certain park that's on an Indian Reservation, what should we know ahead of time? do we need passes purchased in advance? I saw those beautiful waterfalls and read somewhere (can't find it now) that BECAUSE they're on Indian Reservation we can't "just go"?! is that true? is there any info online? I don't have all the names to Google it...

Is there a map that lists all the Indian Reservations around AZ?

Also, please don't laugh, my cousin made a stupid comment the other day, but then it got me thinking, he was saying that "IF" on an Indian Reservation getting attached or what not, the police doesn't get involved, and just let's them kill themselves or others without intervening, is that true?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 AM

19 posts, read 58,324 times
I assume the waterfalls you are talking about are on the Havasupai Reservation, near the Grand Canyon? If so, then yes you do have to pay to be on their land. Check out the site below, it's their webpage and gives you all the info you need to know regarding the fees etc.

The Waterfalls of Havasupai

I spent three nights/four days in the Havasu Canyon in May and the cost per person, came out to about $100. So it's not steep at all, considering the absolutely unbelievable land you see!

Not sure about all other res'. I know my wifes grandmother lives near the Tohono O'odham Res and we drive through there all the time without paying...

Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,805 times
As for the police - I assume you meant "attacked". And that is not true - all the reservations have fully qualified police forces, many officers come from OFF the reservation just as they would go to work in another city. Here in Pinal County the Gila River Police and Tohono Odham Police are often involved in joint operations with other police agencies.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Thank you very much, yes, I meant "attacked!" apparently my keyboard thought otherwise..........just kidding......hahahaha

Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
I think it really depends ... i know a lot of the attractions (havasupai falls, canon de cheley, monument valley, the grand canyon overlook thing....) have restrictions that you either need to pay for the attraction, pay to use the access road, only visit using a native guide, etc

Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangobus24 View Post
I assume the waterfalls you are talking about are on the Havasupai Reservation, near the Grand Canyon? If so, then yes you do have to pay to be on their land. Check out the site below, it's their webpage and gives you all the info you need to know regarding the fees etc.

The Waterfalls of Havasupai
Do you have to pay to hike even if you're not camping? The website is pretty clear about campers needing to register and pay, but they don't mention hikers per se. They also say nothing about the amount of the fee. Did your $100 fee cover your campground fee?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:45 AM

what about kids? do they have rules for that also, age limits etc?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Do you have to pay to hike even if you're not camping? The website is pretty clear about campers needing to register and pay, but they don't mention hikers per se. They also say nothing about the amount of the fee. Did your $100 fee cover your campground fee?
I don't think you have to pay to hike, so long as you can do your hike and get off the res in one day. The office where you pay is actually in the city of Supai, so assuming you don't go the full 8 miles all the way to the city (a further 2 to the campground) then I'd say you won't have to pay a dime. Don't hold me to that, however.

Yes, my $100 covered the entrance fee (again, paid at Supai, not anywhere along the first 8 miles of the hike) and the three nights that I camped near the waterfalls. When I went in May, it was $35 to enter the Res, and $17/night campground fee, plus a 5 or 10 dollar environmental fee. All said, it was right at $100 from the beginning to end.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
what about kids? do they have rules for that also, age limits etc?
Are we talking about the Havasupai? No rules as far as I was aware of. I saw kids that looked to be as young as 5 or 6 down in the Canyon. I would not recommend it unless you are flying them in via helicopter, which the tribe does, or riding in, also offered by the tribe.

Who would want to take 5 years olds on a 10 mile hike? Sheesh not me! That being said, there were a ton of kids down there...

Old 09-28-2010, 03:51 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Thanks for the info, Mangobus. That's about what I figured, because there's no one to take your money in the parking lot from what I've seen.

I agree with what you say about kids. The most tragic thing I've heard is a baby who died in one of the kid carriers that you wear on your back. Everyone thought the baby was sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona