Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,241,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I was using January as the averages. It hardly ever, if at all, gets hotter then 70 during the day between December and Feburary if at all. LIVING in Phoenix all my life I am a weather freak and I check the weather every single day and I can remember Phoenix had only one or two 70 degree days between Janurary 3rd and Janurary 19th. It rained much of the time between Janurary 20th and March 7th so the temps could hardly break 70. Plus I don't live in the inner city of Phoenix. I use Phoenix as the general point of my location. I live in the far fetched, wide suburbs of east Mesa so temps out in this part drop drastically than at Sky Harbor during the night. I've been in 16 degree weather here while it was 25 in Downtown Phoenix in 2007.
Average Janurary high in Mesa is 66 and average low is 41.
And why do you think I gave a 10 degree difference? Because not every winter day in Phoenix will be 65. One can be 57, the next could be 63, then the next 68. Let me ask you, have you ever been to Phoenix or lived here? It's not just me who feels it's cold either.
The elevation of Los Angles is 317 feet yet the average high in Janurary is 68 and low is 50. Elevation has nothing to do with the fact that Phoenix's winters average in the 50s and 60s during the day.
I'd say your recollection is wrong.
Take a look at this site, which contains personal weather stations scattered throughout the Phoenix area. Pick any of them - for example look at this one here - which is at 43rd Ave & Camelback Rd, Sevilla Neighborhood:

Weather Station History : Weather Underground

Under historical data you can pick and choose any month/year for which that particular weather station was functioning and see the specific weather conditions for each day of the month (or by clicking on the day of the month itself, the specific conditions every 11 minutes or so).

Last year for example EVERY DAY between Jan 2nd & Jan 17th was 70 or more (on Jan 12th it got to 77). It was then in 60's until Jan 31st. It was 70 or more for 17 out of 31 days.

Then in Feb it was 70 or more on the 2nd, 3rd, 13th-19th & 25th-27th (12 out of the 28 days - with 2 days at 78 & a day up to 79).

Don't like the data on that particular weather station, choose another - there's a list of them here:

Phoenix, Arizona (85001) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Some areas of the greater Phoenix area ARE cooler than Phoenix itself. Tempe for example had only 1 70 degree day this past January and 6 in February of this year - so yeah some areas did have a cooler time of it than Phoenix proper.

However, that SAME location last year however had 17 70 (or more) degree days in January (the warmest being 78) and 9 such days in Feb along with 6 days that were in 80's - so your averages are STILL well off.

If I'm wrong on this show me some hard data - your recollections is not enough - not when there is hard physical data to contrary.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 10-10-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,241,304 times
PS to Phxguy - Here's more personal weather stations for the Mesa area:

This one near Mesa Community College for example shows 7 70 degree days this last January and 13 this past Feb - along with 2 80 degree days:

Here's another one at Falcon Field:

That one shows 17 70-degree days this past Jan and 10 in Feb (along with 5 80-degree days).

Temps DO vary from place to place but NONE of these weather stations show averages anywhere near what you claim - nor do the averages on weather.com or any other weather site I can find. January average high in Mesa is 67 while in Feb it's 71. With averages like that there will be a LOT of days in the 70's and even an occasional day in the low 80's - that's the way averages work.

Pick one from the list and show me data that backs up what you say (scroll to the bottom to select a weather station) - or find some other source to back up your claims:

Mesa, Arizona (85201) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Maybe you ARE cooler at YOUR house - maybe you have a cool microclimate (it DOES happen) - but if so, you are out of whack with the majority of the area. The majority of the Phoenix area does NOT have the typical temps you claim - and there is PLENTY of evidence to back that up.

Ken

Old 10-10-2010, 12:52 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,664,379 times
I think that the heat and how if affects you depends on both your age and your conditioning.
When I was young and the Army stationed me in AZ in the SE corner in the 60s we did not think much about the heat. And AC was not a common thing then either. If you were lucky you had a swamp cooler and that did not help much at high temps when the monsoons got here in the summer.
As I got older and spent time in and out of AZ with my wife who was a native I found that the older I got the less I liked the heat. When we lived in a hot climate we tried to shop and do what we could very early, like before 9 AM in the Summer.
As I got into my 60s I found the heat no longer tolerable and moved to a higher elevation for 4 seasons again.
The low lands are just too hot for us.
And, as history has shown Phoenix and Tucson areas did not grow very fast until AC was readily available and cheaper to run.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 PM

175 posts, read 463,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I think that the heat and how if affects you depends on both your age and your conditioning.
When I was young and the Army stationed me in AZ in the SE corner in the 60s we did not think much about the heat. And AC was not a common thing then either. If you were lucky you had a swamp cooler and that did not help much at high temps when the monsoons got here in the summer.
As I got older and spent time in and out of AZ with my wife who was a native I found that the older I got the less I liked the heat. When we lived in a hot climate we tried to shop and do what we could very early, like before 9 AM in the Summer.
As I got into my 60s I found the heat no longer tolerable and moved to a higher elevation for 4 seasons again.
The low lands are just too hot for us.
And, as history has shown Phoenix and Tucson areas did not grow very fast until AC was readily available and cheaper to run.
How do you like Prescott beside the cooler weather? Do you see or heard about any changes in regards to a increase in drug usage, crime and motorcycle gangs. I am in the same situation that you were in and Prescott has come up as a viable alternative to a move to Colorado. We currently live in Anthem which is only 60 miles from Prescott.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 PM

Most of the drug stuff and arrests seem to be in the Prescott Valley area but I am sure there are some here too.
But this is certainly not Tucson or Phoenix. Much slower pace of life and people are friendly.
There was a MC shootout of some sort over in Chino Valley a few weeks ago. I guess some 40 or more involved in two groups and nobody hurt seriously. 9 or so are up on charges now.
There is going to be some degree of crime in any town.

Jobs if you need one are starting to pick up a little here but they are still not great. I am retired. so it does not matter.

We looked all over AZ and stayed a few nights in each town to check them out and thought this was about the best the state had to offer. Decent shopping and lots of places to eat out if you wish. And fishing is close here too.
We did not want to get to far away with 4 grandchildren in the Phoenix area. Now one of those lives close here in the Prescott area with us while the others are still in Phoenix.
If we want the big city shows and stuff Phoenix is not that far away. And the Grand Canyon make a nice lunch during the week at 120 miles and Vegas is 150.
The biggest problem I see here is the tourists on weekends and that is very tolerable to me.
We lived in CA, AZ and WA as well as CO (and Germany if that counts while I was in the Army) during different periods of time and like this the best climate and people wise.

Last edited by keninaz; 10-10-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 PM

175 posts, read 463,237 times
I am essentially retired (on permanent social security disability) so jobs are not a concern except for my wife who is a preschool teacher. But I know there are many families living there and I am sure getting a job in the childcare business wouldn't be that difficult. Served in the Army also for 3 years (Vietnam and West Berlin) along with a 6 year stint in the Navy 6 years later. I have been to Prescott on several occassions to visit friends and to go to Lynx lake to walk around and enjoy nature. Must admit I enjoyed the area and especially downtown. Felt like I was back in the 60's when life was simpler and easier going. Had a small town feel to it which I missed. Heard about your annual Xmas celerbration so I will make it a point to go there in December. Thanks for the info and maybe by this time next year I would be telling everyone how nice it is living in Prescott. You never know.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,932,572 times
[quote=Kimballette;16110941]Agreed! And any temp over 105 feels the same as 105, in my opinion - the surface of Mars. My biggest complaint is that we don't cool down at night, so the a/c runs 24/7 for months. I reallyreally miss the fresh air. Can't wait for the cooler temps![/QUOT

I really miss fresh air too, you know what else doesnt cool down? the cold water! there is none!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
I am essentially retired (on permanent social security disability) so jobs are not a concern except for my wife who is a preschool teacher. But I know there are many families living there and I am sure getting a job in the childcare business wouldn't be that difficult. Served in the Army also for 3 years (Vietnam and West Berlin) along with a 6 year stint in the Navy 6 years later. I have been to Prescott on several occassions to visit friends and to go to Lynx lake to walk around and enjoy nature. Must admit I enjoyed the area and especially downtown. Felt like I was back in the 60's when life was simpler and easier going. Had a small town feel to it which I missed. Heard about your annual Xmas celerbration so I will make it a point to go there in December. Thanks for the info and maybe by this time next year I would be telling everyone how nice it is living in Prescott. You never know.
You are right about the old town feel. I like it myself. Lots of events around the courthouse during the summer. I think this was the last big weekend.
But things are always going on here. And they refer to the place as everyone's hometown as it has that old fashioned appeal to many.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:02 PM

260 posts, read 509,840 times
The hottest temp on the surface of Mars is 80 degrees F.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:13 PM

13,162 posts, read 21,717,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmoses View Post
The hottest temp on the surface of Mars is 80 degrees F.
True! And the AIR temperature rarely gets over 32F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona