U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 PM

533 posts, read 816,405 times

Advertisements

Uhm....yeah. OK.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:51 PM

115 posts, read 221,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Amsterdam is the largest city in the Netherlands. Of course it will have a high crime rate in the Netherlands. But it is virtually crime free as compared to American cities of similar size. Amsterdam averages around 7 murders per year. How many American cities with 700-800k can say that?

There's more drug crime per capita here than in Amsterdam. I guarantee it. It's embarassing that we are the only civilized nation on earth that throws people in jail for pot.

You also talk about treating drug addictions in Amsterdam. I'll bet it's cheaper than throwing them in jail.
I recently spent time in Amsterdam. I don't mind about the "coffeeshops" and visited them myself... but TWICE in the same night I was asked if I wanted to purchase cocaine.

I've been all over in the USA, and never have ONE, much less TWO people on the street of all places approached me to purchase illicit substances like this. I was in shock. I still am. It was scary to be asked that.

I am very glad our cities don't have Red Light Districts. It was very seedy. Amsterdam has an incredibly weird vibe about it, and you just get the sense that things aren't completely legit in that city. Pot isn't really the issue. I think the existence of the RLD is the issue.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM

533 posts, read 816,405 times
Dunno about that--maybe if a lot of very tense people were able to get some of that stress out there would be less angst-driven crime. Maybe that's why Amsterdam has a much lower crime rate, people are not so oppressed.

With proper regulation, many "seedy" behaviors are not nearly so bad or dangerous, especially compared to the alternatives. Rape, drug trafficking, violence. Something to think about.

However, in any culture where behavior is governed by religion, you're going to have some pretty large issues with oppression, which leads to all kinds of deviant actions. Freedom is something to be treasured but many of our basic freedoms have been hogtied and branded as unacceptable to the "moral majority" -- and if that doesn't scare the bejeebus out of anyone then I'm not sure what will.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,390,215 times
The comments have meandered far away from the state of Arizona, so the thread is now closed. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona