Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:56 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
Not a problem....if my experiance with weed smokers is any indication, most of them are already unemployed, living at home with thier parents or sponging off of relatives....

We had a 420 "Legalize MM" parade in our town recently....I watched the video...the town is small enough that I knew a good percentage of the folks marching.....and strangely enough the majority of them were 18-40 year olds who basically contribute nothing to society and would prefer to spend their time getting high.

Now I expect that some of you will come back and tell me about all the productive citizens that have smoked MJ....but I really think that is the exception rather than the rule....from what I have seen most who smoke it spend more time in the seamy underbelly of society rather than climbing any ladders of success.
Agree 100%. I have seen members of my family who are lazy, shiftless, and have no desire to improve or make an effort while smoking the chronic. A good example is my brother-in-law...he was a heavy pot smoker for years and amounted to nothing. He finally cleaned up 100% about 8 years ago, and has since married, has a kid, got a job working for the fire department, and is a hard worker. He admitted that smoking all that dope dulled him to the point where he didn't care about anything except collecting pipes and bongs.
My aunt is a heavy pot smoker- no cigarettes, and she has emphysema and carries an O2 bottle with her whenever she goes out. She hasn't held a job in over 20 years and lives off the government, but she can still find money to buy weed.
I see a ton of these losers in my line of work as well. Is there a legit reason for pot? I can see that there may be. Is it a dangerous drug? Not on par with heroin, coke or prescriptions pills of abuse. Kids on pot are more likely to be involved in petty crime as well, stealing to get money to score a bag- or because their judgment is impaired.
If you have cancer or HIV or some other disease where pot will help you, then grow it yourself or get the pharma grade stuff that they bottle up. But if stores start popping up everywhere, you will see a lot more lazy and useless Americans popping up leeching off the government and the health care industry so they can score some pot. As if our insurance/ medicare system isn't screwed up enough...we have to worry about more important things than trying to legalize something that will give people less motivation to fix it. If people want to enjoy pot legally, move to Amsterdam.
Amsterdam, regardless of its liberal marijuana policies, is still having a major issue controlling other drugs, and is a source location of many other types of narcotic manufacturing and distribution in Europe. Furthermore, they spend a handsome amount on drug rehab and education...something the US doesn't even want to come close to.
Amsterdam Best Town To Live In Despite Top Crime Rate | DutchAmsterdam.nl
The connection between Amsterdam’s coffeeshops and organized crime | DutchAmsterdam.nl
You'll hear a lot of people claiming that Amsterdam is virtually crime-free, and that their light attitude on marijuana is not affecting the country...well, make sure you read articles printed by sources other than "High Times". Google Search "organized crime Amsterdam", and you'll see that it has taken over there...so much so the government there is trying to clean it up by shutting down some of the red light district and some of the "coffee" shops.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,504 times
Amsterdam closing half of its famous pot cafes and brothels - The Real Scoop

Old 10-18-2010, 01:43 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Amsterdam is the largest city in the Netherlands. Of course it will have a high crime rate in the Netherlands. But it is virtually crime free as compared to American cities of similar size. Amsterdam averages around 7 murders per year. How many American cities with 700-800k can say that?

There's more drug crime per capita here than in Amsterdam. I guarantee it. It's embarassing that we are the only civilized nation on earth that throws people in jail for pot.

You also talk about treating drug addictions in Amsterdam. I'll bet it's cheaper than throwing them in jail.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Also, it's ironic that a guy from Tampa, of all places, has complaints about organized crime in Amsterdam.

Higher crime rate Amsterdam or Tampa?

Bigger rep. for organized crime Amsterdam or Tampa?

It looks like crime is higher where prohibition rules.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Thank You Long Island Eddie. I probably will start taking up marijuana when I retire. Although, in my opinion, smoking is smoking, whether tobacco or anything else. And I am a fitness swimmer so I must maintain good lung capacity! Maybe marijuana leaf salad?
Howard,

There are several ways to enjoy a marijuana buzz, you needn't smoke it and run the risk of damaging your lungs.
Smoking is popular because it's faster and easier to smoke it, requiring less of the dosage to bring on the euphoric
effect. Smoking has become more popular than consuming it through the digestive system because of the cost of the
weed and the consideration that it requires a greater bulk of marijuana to prepare it as a food product than would be
required by just putting a small amount into a pipe or rolling it up as a joint. If I could ever afford a decent quantity of
pot at any given time, I'd rather ingest it than smoke it but with the criminalization of marijuana, the weed that I can
manage to afford, is bought at greater cost because of the illegal factor, the price I must pay in order to keep the profit
margin lucrative for the underground traffickers who risk jail time for moving it along to us users.

As for you, I advise you to take care of your lungs, treasure your breathing bags, they're the only ones you'll get.
At 66 (as I am now), I'm beginning to see and feel the effects of having begun smoking cigarettes at the age of 13 at
a time when our magazines and TV screens, were packed with advertisements where doctors and movie stars were
endorsing those Camels, Chesterfields and the ever-popular "Luckies" that almost every GI was getting, along with their
wartime K rations. I'll never understand the fact that the government allowed the tobacco and the liquor industries to run
rampant and showed little or no concern over either of these substances, yet shows so much hypocritical concern over the
marijuana issue. It's almost as if it was another conspiracy on their part and if I'm wrong about that, I'll give the government
a tip of my "tin foil" hat!

Last edited by LongIslandEddie; 10-18-2010 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: made marijuana green... Stoned agan!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR1 View Post
Exactly! I voted NO simply because the VAST majority of people that are in favor of the bill do not have a legitimate medical need. It's simply a stepping stone for legalizing all pot use.

I rest my case..."medicine" has little to do with this bill...
Can't argue with you there. However, if you want to keep marijuana illegal, why stop there? Why not revert to the prohibition days and ban all forms of alcohol? People who booze on a regular basis are highly likely to become involved in serious traffic accidents, which often result in fatalities. Plus, they are a public nuisance. Hell, why not make junk food illegal while we're at it ... and cigarettes too?! Obesity kills, and so do lung related illnesses. Let's take it all the way and ban guns, knives, darts, and any of those horrible sharp objects because some stupid kid might shoot, stab, or hurt himself. Yeah, that's the ticket. Let's become a total dictatorship and let the government rule & regulate everybody to save us from ourselves!
()

Quote:
Not a problem....if my experiance with weed smokers is any indication, most of them are already unemployed, living at home with thier parents or sponging off of relatives....
Yes, that's very true ... and that could also describe people who abuse the "legal" stuff (e.g. alcohol & prescription drugs). My point is: why keep these things illegal when there are just as many abuses of legal substances? In fact, the more something is banned, the more of an underground black market it creates. Making something illegal/criminal doesn't actually stop the problem ... it can actually make the problem worse. Too much tax money has been wasted on this so called "war on drugs", which has accomplished nothing!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The problem really is that it's illegal for any reason.

If I smoking pot in the privacy of my home for any reason, medical or otherwise, why do you care. My life. My body. My choice. The risk of killing brain cells, lung cancer, bad breath...it's my choice to make.
Myopic view probably created by too much pot smoking.

What you do affects everyone in society. When you create medical problems for yourself, we all pay. When you decide to drive high (and don't believe that b.s. 'Car and Driver' post - the real studies done by actual medical professionals say the exact opposite), we have to be on the road with you.
When people see that something is 'legal,' they automatically think it's 'safe' and that there's nothing wrong with doing it (see the multibillion dollar food supplement industry - no regulation, millions of people could be taking sawdust mixed with cyanide for all they know, but they think it's 'safe' and 'ok' because it's legal).
Alcohol and tobacco have cost this society too much already. I don't want my children growing up in a world where it's considered ok to abuse mind-altering substances just to have a good time.

Now you give me a patient whose suffering can only be eased by marijuana...hell, give it to him. If you're diagnosed with terminal cancer, I don't care if you shoot speedballs all day...peace be with you.

But if you're so lame and immature that you have to get high to relax or have a good time (whether you use alcohol or MJ)...that's just f'd up and sad.

I do agree that jail time is not cost-effective; it's wasteful and kind of pointless. Fines, community service...that makes more sense to me.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Yeah, that's the ticket. Let's become a total dictatorship and let the government rule & regulate everybody to save us from ourselves!
()
LMFAO. Sorry but his is HILARIOUS! Yeah.. mugsy get him over there, yeah thats the ticket...

Anyway... that's what Americans want right? A fascist dictatorship right?

We have enough drug users anyway, making it legal won't change a thing in Phoenix. Go to any call center, weed is the majority next to cocaine or heroine.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:15 AM

95 posts, read 307,248 times
Quote:
... We had a 420 "Legalize MM" parade in our town recently....I watched the video...the town is small enough that I knew a good percentage of the folks marching.....and strangely enough the majority of them were 18-40 year olds who basically contribute nothing to society and would prefer to spend their time getting high...
There's lots of doctors and lawyers, i.e. contributing members of society who use marijuana every day and I know some of them. There's no way they are going to reveal themselves in some stupid pot parade. The people who will reveal themselves are people "who basically contribute nothing to society and would prefer to spend their time getting high".

Most people would be shocked at some of the people who use marijuana, it is not limited to the Cheech and Chong stereotypes. There's white haired bank presidents. The owner of Progressive Insurance, Peter Lewis for instance.

But because almost all the successful marijuana users are in the closet, it would be easy to assume that marijuana users are lazy and unproductive. My experience tells me that that is sometimes but not always true.

All drugs affect everyone differently. Personally I'm not sure if I really agree with any recreational drug use. But if someone has the money to sit in a room and do heroin and they have the money... who the heck am I to say they can't? People do all kinds of potentially dangerous things like scuba and sky diving and it's my opinion that even though drugs are a monster, making them illegal actually feeds the monster and makes things worse. Not many people realize that recently Portugal made all drugs legal and all the scare tactic predictions of mass chaos didn't happen. Nothing happened.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 AM

314 posts, read 924,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Agree 100%. I have seen members of my family who are lazy, shiftless, and have no desire to improve or make an effort while smoking the chronic. A good example is my brother-in-law...he was a heavy pot smoker for years and amounted to nothing. He finally cleaned up 100% about 8 years ago, and has since married, has a kid, got a job working for the fire department, and is a hard worker. He admitted that smoking all that dope dulled him to the point where he didn't care about anything except collecting pipes and bongs.
My aunt is a heavy pot smoker- no cigarettes, and she has emphysema and carries an O2 bottle with her whenever she goes out. She hasn't held a job in over 20 years and lives off the government, but she can still find money to buy weed.
I see a ton of these losers in my line of work as well. Is there a legit reason for pot? I can see that there may be. Is it a dangerous drug? Not on par with heroin, coke or prescriptions pills of abuse. Kids on pot are more likely to be involved in petty crime as well, stealing to get money to score a bag- or because their judgment is impaired.
If you have cancer or HIV or some other disease where pot will help you, then grow it yourself or get the pharma grade stuff that they bottle up. But if stores start popping up everywhere, you will see a lot more lazy and useless Americans popping up leeching off the government and the health care industry so they can score some pot. As if our insurance/ medicare system isn't screwed up enough...we have to worry about more important things than trying to legalize something that will give people less motivation to fix it. If people want to enjoy pot legally, move to Amsterdam.
Amsterdam, regardless of its liberal marijuana policies, is still having a major issue controlling other drugs, and is a source location of many other types of narcotic manufacturing and distribution in Europe. Furthermore, they spend a handsome amount on drug rehab and education...something the US doesn't even want to come close to.
Amsterdam Best Town To Live In Despite Top Crime Rate | DutchAmsterdam.nl
The connection between Amsterdam’s coffeeshops and organized crime | DutchAmsterdam.nl
You'll hear a lot of people claiming that Amsterdam is virtually crime-free, and that their light attitude on marijuana is not affecting the country...well, make sure you read articles printed by sources other than "High Times". Google Search "organized crime Amsterdam", and you'll see that it has taken over there...so much so the government there is trying to clean it up by shutting down some of the red light district and some of the "coffee" shops.
Agreed!
Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona