U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 AM

18 posts, read 62,446 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I'm probably going to move back to Arizona after 20 years and some change in California after my current contract is up. I'm interested in any leads on small towns, preferably with a fairly compact center and enough amenities to get by, but think I'll just attack the problem by mentioning a town a time.

In the case of Tombstone, any input on that as a place to live? My guess is that everybody drives to SV or Benson for groceries, as I can't believe that Circle K and that little market on the other side of town can provide all the food groups. As I remember, there's a small public library, a fitness club, the junior college is a tolerable driving distance (20 miles?). Is there still a drug store? is the new medical center decent? Any surprises to watch out for?

The tourist town angle I can deal with, as I live in one already (small ex-mining town in the Gold Country) although the numbers here are probably smaller.

I'm also assuming that any jobs available for me (if any exist) would be minimum wage-ish or would require a security clearance and a bit of a drive, so I'll plan on bringing my own money to live on.

Any input from residents or ex-residents? It's hard to get a good flavor of this stuff with a drive-through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,230,620 times
Tombstone itself has very little, but many that live in and around there just make the short trip to Sierra Vista for what they need as it has much more to offer than Benson.
My wife was born in Tombstone and she was raised just up the road near St. David.
I met here while stationed at Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista and since we have lived in SV and the County just south of SV. We were about 24 miles from Tombstone and visited all the time with the tourist events.
Tombstone itself seems to attract western fans, the older generation. Other than that it pretty much exists on the tourists.
I used to make a joke of it, but it's true, that the movie industry needs to make another movie about the town every 10-15 years to keep interest up for the younger people.
Now living in Prescott, the original capital. We are a tourist community here too but not totally dependent on it like Tombstone.
We have lived in many places in AZ and the state is very unique and it really depends on where you live as to what WX you have.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:40 AM

It's a shame to see that old high school go to waste. It's funny how small towns used to be able to support real commercial life like grocery stores, drug stores, barbers, etc. in addition to schools and hospitals. At the same time, we as a culture have forgotten the recipe to making beautiful public buildings (check out that courthouse in Bisbee for example).

It's hard to know who to blame, but I think a lot of it has to do with the modern ability to pop five bucks worth of gas in a Honda Civic and drive 30 miles to buy food for the week. In the name of efficiency, commercial entities tend to become larger and more centralized over time, just look at the death of soft drink bottlers and small car dealerships. Maybe $200 a barrel oil will change this, but it's hard to say. It's a fact of life nation-wide, but it always looks like a local issue.

In any case, I'm interested in what services actually are local in Tombstone. Drug store? (I think so). I remember there being a public library. Weight club. New health clinic (I assume that the main hospital is in SV). Restaurants/bars of course. Gift stores filled with the latest from China, just like any automotive tourist oriented town. I suppose I'm mainly looking for just a general feel of the place from someone who lives in the area, since it's so hard to pick that up in a day or two.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:45 AM

Yes, the hospital is in SV, and not too bad of one either. The bigger concern with the pharmacy is if it's on your medical plan if you have one. But as stated for many the ride down to SV is only some 15 miles or so depending on where you live.
The hospital in Tombstone closed in 1949 after the mines started going downhill. My wife was born there at that time and I think one of the last kids born there.
My father said that Corporations would ruin America. I did not quite understand what he was talking about when I was young but it appears that caring about nothing but the profit margin has caused us some problems.
I worked for a few after I retired when I got bored. Thoughtless wonders as far as I am concerned.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:09 AM

"The hospital in Tombstone closed in 1949 after the mines started going downhill."

Generally, I'd also have to say that hospitals went the same route as grocery stores. If you've lived in many small towns, one thing that always seems to pop up is the 'old hospital', which is usually quite small. The tendency, maybe it's a form of economic geography, is to clump them together into fewer, larger facilities. Probably, at some point in the future, the only hospital in Arizona will be a 100,000 bed unit in Phoenix.

One thing I'll bet you see nationally, over time, is problems arising from these hollowed out towns as the population ages. Car dependency, whether it's the absolute need for a car to deal with daily living that you see in Phoenix or whether it's the need for a car since small towns lost their liveability mojo, isn't going to play well with an ever-growing population of 70 year-olds. I think that suburban warts like Prescott Valley or modern day Gilbert will end up being a huge malinvestment.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:22 AM

2,943 posts, read 3,733,146 times
Quote:
I think that suburban warts like Prescott Valley or modern day Gilbert will end up being a huge malinvestment.
Well, I wouldn't call suburbs, especially Gilbert and Prescott Valley (at least the new parts of PV), "warts". "Malinvestment"? That could be said of a lot of places/people, I guess, at least in the sense that I believe you are trying to use the word. I'm not sure what "central bank" would be at fault, though.

Quote:
isn't going to play well with an ever-growing population of 70 year-olds.
However, as the population of those places "age" (become old), they also tend to "move on". Move to Sun City. Move to a "home". Move in with family. Move on "to a better life". And the next generation moves in. So I highly doubt that the population of Gilbert (for example) in 40 years will be a bunch of elderly folks.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the input on Tombstone, Richie_az.

By the by, here's a quote from the police blotter of The Tombstone News:

“DUI’s are also on the rise,” stated Marshal Talvy. “We have had three in the last month and it maybe higher now. We are asking if anyone is intoxicated in the bars that they call the Marshal’s Department. If our units are available we will take them home if they reside in the city limits. If we are not available immediately we are asking them to wait. We just don’t want them to take a chance.”

Gotta love that.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 PM

Yep, try that in a big town. I am not sure that applies to the tourists however.
My wife's cousin is the Sheriff of the county so I know quite a bit about the law enforcement people and problems in the area.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:14 PM

2,943 posts, read 3,733,146 times
Oh, yeah, Tombstone is a most interesting place, for sure....

Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 PM

16,104 posts, read 14,132,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless grin View Post
Thanks for the input on Tombstone, Richie_az.

By the by, here's a quote from the police blotter of The Tombstone News:

“DUI’s are also on the rise,” stated Marshal Talvy. “We have had three in the last month and it maybe higher now. We are asking if anyone is intoxicated in the bars that they call the Marshal’s Department. If our units are available we will take them home if they reside in the city limits. If we are not available immediately we are asking them to wait. We just don’t want them to take a chance.”

Gotta love that.
Yes indeed. Pretty darned cool.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona