Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM

228 posts, read 818,236 times

Advertisements

Mohave Electric Cooperative, Inc. requires you to sign a blanket easement in order to receive their service. Is this a widespread practice in Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Mohave Electric Cooperative, Inc. requires you to sign a blanket easement in order to receive their service. Is this a widespread practice in Arizona?
Sounds reasonable (and yes, common). If they provide you service, they need access to maintain.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sounds reasonable (and yes, common). If they provide you service, they need access to maintain.
The blanket easement that I was referring to is for more than just access to their equipment for maintenance. It gives the utility permission in advance to run power lines anywhere on the property, to a neighboring property for an example.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
The blanket easement that I was referring to is for more than just access to their equipment for maintenance. It gives the utility permission in advance to run power lines anywhere on the property, to a neighboring property for an example.

Again, common place and reasonable. Access to adjacent properties is needed. Ask yourself, from where is your electricity coming? For instance, does your service providers lines have to cross other peoples property to get to your property??

Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Arizona also has a "Section Line" law and does not allow any "Landlocked" land sales. No one, by state law can prohibit public access on any section line.

I blocked natural gas for years on my Maricopa Property. They would not put the gas line in when I first developed my property even though it was only about 300 feet away. I got a community Propane tank and allowed all new comers to connect. When the community grew to 10 houses they came back and wanted to install gas lines. I told them as long as I owned my property they would never cross it, and they didn't. They finally invoked the Section Line Law and went up along the Reservation to install for the houses north of me, but they neve crossed my land.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I blocked natural gas for years on my Maricopa Property. They would not put the gas line in when I first developed my property even though it was only about 300 feet away. I got a community Propane tank and allowed all new comers to connect. When the community grew to 10 houses they came back and wanted to install gas lines. I told them as long as I owned my property they would never cross it, and they didn't. They finally invoked the Section Line Law and went up along the Reservation to install for the houses north of me, but they neve crossed my land.
I guess you showed them. But why?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I guess you showed them. But why?
Those that have experienced the encroachment by utilities know why. Once an easement is obtained you have effectively lost control of your land where the encroachment takes place. Those that are subdivision dwellers or live in the city will most likely not experience the games utilities play in trying to use property without just compensation. Good for you Steve. Glad you were able to keep the gas company at bay.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:13 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Those that have experienced the encroachment by utilities know why. Once an easement is obtained you have effectively lost control of your land where the encroachment takes place. Those that are subdivision dwellers or live in the city will most likely not experience the games utilities play in trying to use property without just compensation. Good for you Steve. Glad you were able to keep the gas company at bay.
I wasn't asking you, I was asking Steve. For all his efforts, he now has one of the few pieces of land in his area with no gas connection. That can't be good for resale. Plus, instead of having an invisible gas line in the ground, he now gets to have a big propane truck access his property regularly. I'm guessing that's a LOT more often than the gas utility would want to access his property, which is probably never. So it kinds of seems like a "cut off your nose to spite your face scenario".

But please do educate us on the nefarious ways that the utilities abuse the easement. I would really like to know. And it's not like you guys are pioneers or anything. You bought property in areas that have utilities. If you don't like utilities, why not move off-grid?

And I notice you didn't answer Greatday's question. How do you feel about the utility crossing other folks property to get to yours?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I wasn't asking you, I was asking Steve. For all his efforts, he now has one of the few pieces of land in his area with no gas connection. That can't be good for resale. Plus, instead of having an invisible gas line in the ground, he now gets to have a big propane truck access his property regularly. I'm guessing that's a LOT more often than the gas utility would want to access his property, which is probably never. So it kinds of seems like a "cut off your nose to spite your face scenario".

But please do educate us on the nefarious ways that the utilities abuse the easement. I would really like to know. And it's not like you guys are pioneers or anything. You bought property in areas that have utilities. If you don't like utilities, why not move off-grid?

And I notice you didn't answer Greatday's question. How do you feel about the utility crossing other folks property to get to yours?
OK, please ignore that portion of my response that you feel is directed toward answering your question.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
OK, please ignore that portion of my response that you feel is directed toward answering your question.
But you didn't answer the questions that were directed at you, not Steve. I'd be interested in those answers myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: