Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:20 AM

641 posts, read 2,366,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Living in Arizona from my point of view

10.Cookie cutter housing developers are a dime a dozen
I hear that. I cant wait to find a nice old colonial home when I move back to PA. I just cant stand all these houses that look alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 08:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
I hear that. I cant wait to find a nice old colonial home when I move back to PA. I just cant stand all these houses that look alike.
Good luck; and I mean that.

As for the newer subdivisions; I know of what you speak of.......I vastly prefer the pre 1986 enclaves.

Arizona is a funny state: people either do well (myself, and most of my pratfalls were of my own making, hindsight being 20/20 [I was pigheaded and refused to listen to my gut]) or they crash and burn (my now ex wife's 'you owe me' mentality almost destroyed the woman to the point she left the state).

Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,754 times
Quote:
What will ultimately 'destroy' the reservations will, ironically enough, occur when the majority of Native Americans are assimilated via ethnic and some cultural acceptance, education, etc.

Typically; what tends to keep a 'minority' together as a cohesive unit is oppression from the dominant culture. Once that stricture disappears, the minority tends to disappear in 2-3 generations------although the gene pool will obviously live on within many of us.

Jewish people here in the USA are having a heck of a time 'keeping' their children in the fold------startling lack of pogroms soon leads to a Silent Holocaust------they are being 'loved to death'

The price of acceptance by the majority culture is assimilation.
Then what? They'll start developing the reservation??? I keep up with the news a little bit out west and I notice there's no shortage of Apache fighting Apache in the reservation politics. Especially when it comes to how much money the Apache politicians on the reservation are making compared to everyone else there. They sure don't seem too cohesive right now, let alone in a few more generations. Hopefully I'll be dead before the White Mountain Apache reservation is developed like PHX....

Old 10-06-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Then what? They'll start developing the reservation??? I keep up with the news a little bit out west and I notice there's no shortage of Apache fighting Apache in the reservation politics. Especially when it comes to how much money the Apache politicians on the reservation are making compared to everyone else there. They sure don't seem too cohesive right now, let alone in a few more generations. Hopefully I'll be dead before the White Mountain Apache reservation is developed like PHX....
Simmer down please.

Most likely many of the 'Rez's' will wind up either becoming 'churches' for the Apache, Navajo etc. if/when they retain ownership of their sacred sites. And/or the remainder of the lands will become national parks.

The reality is with prejudice against Native American fast disappearing; they will simply be 'Americans'-------especially with intermarriage with the non Indians.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Most likely many of the 'Rez's' will wind up either becoming 'churches' for the Apache, Navajo etc. if/when they retain ownership of their sacred sites. And/or the remainder of the lands will become national parks.

The reality is with prejudice against Native American fast disappearing; they will simply be 'Americans'-------especially with intermarriage with the non Indians.
Why wouldn't the various tribes be able to retain ownership?

Old 10-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Why wouldn't the various tribes be able to retain ownership?
Intermarriage; especially with non Native Americans may render moot one's Indian heritage. Some tribes demand 50% or more heritage from the tribe in question-------Hopi comes to mind.

I once knew a woman who was 1/4 Cherokee and 3/4 Nordic White------she had natural platinum blonde hair, ice blue eyes and a porcelain white complexion.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:01 PM

139 posts, read 530,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What will ultimately 'destroy' the reservations will, ironically enough, occur when the majority of Native Americans are assimilated via ethnic and some cultural acceptance, education, etc.

Typically; what tends to keep a 'minority' together as a cohesive unit is oppression from the dominant culture. Once that stricture disappears, the minority tends to disappear in 2-3 generations------although the gene pool will obviously live on within many of us.

Jewish people here in the USA are having a heck of a time 'keeping' their children in the fold------startling lack of pogroms soon leads to a Silent Holocaust------they are being 'loved to death'

The price of acceptance by the majority culture is assimilation.
Very good thinking, AB. However, trends usually change at some point, and even reverse, and prove to be cycles. An affluent culture tends to include;as affluence wanes, the culture excludes. This may actually save some cultures, such as the Indians, and the Jews. And, I do believe it is changing. I am old enough to have learned that nothing, including prosperity, lasts forever.

Last edited by ORexpat; 10-06-2007 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 10-06-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Intermarriage; especially with non Native Americans may render moot one's Indian heritage. Some tribes demand 50% or more heritage from the tribe in question-------Hopi comes to mind.
So after the last of the Mohicans, so to speak, kicks the bucket, the land goes back to the fed govt??? By the time that happens, we'll be part of Mexico anyway.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:48 PM
XII

10 posts, read 38,679 times
I didn't have the time or money to stick around, but I was in AZ last week doing a little job hunting. I've lived in AZ once before, in Wickenburg, which circa 2000 -01 when I lived there was a town of 5000 people. However, what struck this farmboy from Illinois in my trip last week was the sprawl and development in the Valley. I went to Apache Junction first for a job interview. Not hard to navigate I suppose once you know a few main drags, but the sprawl in the Valley is just terrible. Apache Junction, Gilbert, Mesa, Phoenix....all running together. The traffic on the interstate was so heavy at rush hour traffic was moving at 15-20 mph in some stretches. I don't want to sound naive but where I come from (outside Peoria IL), that just doesn't happen unless there is construction going on. Leaving the Valley last Wednesday, taking (and trying to find) Rt. 87 I drove all the way through Mesa, hit every red light I could and was never quite sure where I was. I'd drove a stretch of road, hit a Safeway or Walgreen's, then go down another stretch of road until I hit another shopping center. Where am I? Mesa? Gilbert? Chandler? Queen Creek? I was never quite sure.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
So after the last of the Mohicans, so to speak, kicks the bucket, the land goes back to the fed govt??? By the time that happens, we'll be part of Mexico anyway.
Correction:

We will likely own Mexico; at least the northern tier of states.

Not that Mexico's birthrate is (2.4 children per woman) is barely above replacement level (2.1)......and, continuing to decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona