Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:25 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times

Advertisements

Anthem is at the far north end of "urban hell" (as you put it), a bit seperated from the next suburb to the south. The person specifically mentions "quiet, safe and lots of activites/sports/opportunity for my children." Quite? It's a tie. Anthem has the freeway and HII has the spring break and summer partying. Safe? It's hard to find specific crime data for Anthem (since it is not a town, per se), but I would think Anthem beats it by a little (but both have low crime, though). Here's where Anthem wins hands down: activites/sports/opportunity for children. There is just so much more in and around Anthem, because Anthem is a part of "urban hell" and HII is a "small country town".

Last edited by Ritchie_az; 12-02-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 04:09 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Here's where Anthem wins hands down: activites/sports/opportunity for children.
Baloney. Perhaps you missed Michael J's post. Here, read the relevant part again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL J View Post
I know nothing about Anthem, but having lived in Havasu for the past 13+ years, I have to disagree somewhat with Pioneer and Riverock.
[...]
However, after living here with both my kids and grandkids, there are lots of things for kids to do. My grandkids are busy all year round with softball, soccer, BMX, football, skateboarding, shooting sports and many other organized activities. The lake is great if you choose to use it. 2 and 1/2 hours to the mountains in the summer time. I could go on, but don't want to ramble.
I can also tell you that Havasu has one of the largest parks for kids I've ever seen. I've driven the hour from Kingman just to take my kids there. There's also a big RC truck/buggy course there too. And, one more thing. Being that Havasu is a relatively small place with light traffic, one can take their kids to these activities without spending an hour in the car stuck in traffic.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. We have friends here in Kingman who moved from Anthem, and they like this area is way better for their kids, especially the schools. Granted the schools in Kingman may be better than in Havasu, but the point is that the schools in Anthem are nothing to brag about.

BTW, what is your point of reference for your comments? How much time have you spent in either place?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM

That's great, kdog. It's not a slam on HII. But to compare the amenities for children of a "small country town" and one of the largest cities in America--it's really not fair (which you admit in your "apples to oranges" comment). There is just so many more activities, sports and opportunities in Phoenix metro for children than HII, it's almost unfathomable.
I'm sure HII has more than it's fair share for a town it's size, and that's great. But if the OP is looking for which has the most or best, there is no comparison whatsoever.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM

58 posts, read 188,958 times
No question the larger center has more opportunities & entertainment for kids, that's a no-brainer. If you where to make a list, say alphabetical, it could start with Afterschool programs/arts >> to Zoo's. Non of which havasu offer. Rotary park in havasu is not designated a 'kids' park, but it does have a skate park and ballfields adjacent. Seen some sketchy behavior at the skate park, I would supervise a kid there.

A kid with solid parents that gets involved in school or team sports, have a better chance of staying away from the bad influences of a party town and the irresponsible adults that seem never ending.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverock View Post
No question the larger center has more opportunities & entertainment for kids, that's a no-brainer. If you where to make a list, say alphabetical, it could start with Afterschool programs/arts >> to Zoo's. Non of which havasu offer.
You are misinformed. I checked just one single school at random, Havasu Elementary to test your assertion that there are no afterschool programs, This is what I found

Source: Havasu Elementary Home

And at the high school level, since you specifically mention lack of "Programs/arts", I found this: "The Lake Havasu High School Art Club accepts community requests at times for murals, fund raisers and also campus improvement projects. We take part in these projects to help brighten the look of the LHHS campus as well as other schools in the district.

Meetings are held the two middle Mondays of the month from 3 - 4 pm. Members must attend meetings in order to be included in field trips. Club officers must attend all meetings or lose their position
." Source: LHHS - Art Club - Home

Quote:
Rotary park in havasu is not designated a 'kids' park, but it does have a skate park and ballfields adjacent. Seen some sketchy behavior at the skate park, I would supervise a kid there.
You left out the three playgrounds, which are huge. That is what I was referring to when I said "kid's parks". The play structures they have there are enormous.

Honestly, you seem to be either misinformed about opportunities for kids in Havasu, or you are intentionally painting a very pessimistic view. Now keep in mind I'm not saying that Havasu has MORE opportunities for kids than Anthem. What I am objecting to is your assertion that it is a no-brainer that Anthem has more opportunities. Words that are being used here like "unfathomable" and "no-brainer", are gross exaggerations. The small towns in northern Arizona are not as bad as you folks are making them out to be.

I'm not sure what your perspective is. My perspective is one as a parent who've raised kids in both metro areas (NY), and a small town in Arizona, and I find the opportunities for kids to be MUCH closer between the two than what is being represented here. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, because there are only so many activities that kids actually do.

Last edited by kdog; 12-03-2010 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
There is just so many more activities, sports and opportunities in Phoenix metro for children than HII, it's almost unfathomable.
What is "HII" anyway? We're talking about Lake Havasu City, correct?

I live in Kingman, not Lake Havasu. However, we have friends there and visit Havasu regularly and as near as I can see, it's very similar in opportunities for kids. Here are some after school activities that MY kids participate in here in Kingman.

* Gymnastics. (We just won a big regional competition in Las Vegas, btw.)
* Karate
* Field Hockey
* Chime choir
* Volley Ball
* Piano
* Violin

Carting them to these activities is of course no average feat. Fortunately, it's a small town so it's actually not too bad. In a metro area (and I've lived in several) it's not nearly so pleasant carting kids around in traffic. Regardless, we're stretched as thin in after school programs as we could possibly be. So pray tell what more would the average American family want that Anthem has that you won't find in Havasu? Really, I'd like to know.

Quote:
I'm sure HII has more than it's fair share for a town it's size, and that's great. But if the OP is looking for which has the most or best, there is no comparison whatsoever.
Well yes, there is a comparison and the difference in opportunities for kids between the two towns is negligible in my opinion. We have friends who moved here from Anthem with school age kids, and find it MUCH more appealing to raise kids here. Yes, one may prefer one over the other, and that is fine. But you are grossly exaggerating the advantages of Anthem as a town to raise kids over Lake Havasu, and you've yet to cite even one example to support your contentions.

Last edited by kdog; 12-03-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What is "HII" anyway? We're talking about Lake Havasu City, correct?
Yes, it's the airport ID. Like PHX for Phoenix, TUS for Tucson, PRC for Prescott, IGM for Kingman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I live in Kingman, not Lake Havasu. However, we have friends there and visit Havasu regularly and as near as I can see, it's very similar in opportunities for kids. Here are some after school activities that MY kids participate in here in Kingman.

* Gymnastics. (We just won a big regional competition in Las Vegas, btw.)
* Karate
* Field Hockey
* Chime choir
* Volley Ball
* Piano
* Violin

Carting them to these activities is of course no average feat. Fortunately, it's a small town so it's actually not too bad. In a metro area (and I've lived in several) it's not nearly so pleasant carting kids around in traffic. Regardless, we're stretched as thin in after school programs as we could possibly be. So pray tell what more would the average American family want that Anthem has that you won't find in Havasu? Really, I'd like to know.

Well yes, there is a comparison and the difference in opportunities for kids between the two towns is negligible in my opinion. We have friends who moved here from Anthem with school age kids, and find it MUCH more appealing to raise kids here. Yes, one may prefer one over the other, and that is fine. But you are grossly exaggerating the advantages of Anthem as a town to raise kids over Lake Havasu, and you've yet to cite even one example to support your contentions.
I don't doubt that Kingman and Lake Havasu City have more than "average" amounts of ammenities, programs and opportunities for towns their sizes. However, like you previously said not long ago, it's an apples to oranges comparison. A "small country town" of 55,000 vs a metro area with 4.5 million.
If the OP had said they were looking for a small town atmosphere (which maybe they are) then HII would win hands down. It's just the way it is.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Perhaps the OP doesn't want to have to drive the kids into the massive metropolitan area to participate in various activities offered there (and there would be more in PHOENIX than Havasu, but the OP is not specifically asking about Phoenix.). If the OP wants a direct comparison between Anthem ITSELF (without including Phoenix or even just the other northern suburbs) the comparison is more direct and less apples and oranges.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Perhaps the OP doesn't want to have to drive the kids into the massive metropolitan area to participate in various activities offered there (and there would be more in PHOENIX than Havasu, but the OP is not specifically asking about Phoenix.). If the OP wants a direct comparison between Anthem ITSELF (without including Phoenix or even just the other northern suburbs) the comparison is more direct and less apples and oranges.
Perhaps so. But that's like talking about Surprise, or Goodyear, or Gilbert, or Chandler, and discussing it as if it's not a part of the metro area. For good or bad (and some will say "good" and some will say "bad") it's a part of the Phoenix metro.

Also, until (if?) the OP gives us more information, it's hard to say which is truly a better choice for him or her.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,113 times
Default Responding late:( But never moved!

Quote:
No contest. Anthem wins hands down.

But, just curious, if "traffic commute is not too important", why those two locations?
I chose Lake Havasu because my inlaws are there and we love to vacation there. I spoke to a realtor and after telling her all that I wanted and needed she chose Anthem for my family. We are just tired of the rain/cold. We are blessed where we live, great schools, low crime and close to beaches, skiing and Seattle. Our boys have wonderful friends and have decided to wait til they are gone and then just winter there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona