U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:56 PM

4,114 posts, read 4,970,666 times
Default Snowbirds and Yuma

I am in Yuma for the first time ever and I've learned the population for Yuma grows dramatically in the winter thanks to the snowbirds from the north, particularly Canada. I am amazed at the number of mobile homes I'm seeing just sitting in parking lots covered in nothing but dirt and sand. This area is nice enough but I fail to see the draw for these people to sit in a dirt parking lot all winter. I realize the weather plays a part but the overall draw escapes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:14 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,446,391 times
You have not seen nothing yet. Head North to Quarzsite. that place is a sure eyeopener.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:22 PM

6,328 posts, read 10,309,381 times
I think for many folks, having lived their entire life in the north, enduring frigid cold winters and rainy/humid summers, retiring to the simple life in the desert has a huge appeal.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:24 PM

15,842 posts, read 13,674,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I think for many folks, having lived their entire life in the north, enduring frigid cold winters and rainy/humid summers, retiring to the simple life in the desert has a huge appeal.
Heck YEAH!

Ken

Old 12-06-2010, 06:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,740,828 times
They have all kinds of social activities planned for them...think of it as senior "summer" camp

Old 12-06-2010, 10:03 PM

282 posts, read 503,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
They have all kinds of social activities planned for them...think of it as senior "summer" camp
That is basically what I was going to say. Stick around a while, you will see why they are here. There are absoutely dozens of activities each week geared to the Winter Visitors.
Trailer parks have weekly socials and dances, stores have special sales, surrounding cities have parties for them, (San Luis, just last week), etc.

Then, of course you have the non organized activities-- Offroading, golfing, standing in the aisle in the store yakking while you are trying to shop.
It is one big social scene.

Curly

Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 PM

15,842 posts, read 13,674,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
That is basically what I was going to say. Stick around a while, you will see why they are here. There are absoutely dozens of activities each week geared to the Winter Visitors.
Trailer parks have weekly socials and dances, stores have special sales, surrounding cities have parties for them, (San Luis, just last week), etc.

Then, of course you have the non organized activities-- Offroading, golfing, standing in the aisle in the store yakking while you are trying to shop.
It is one big social scene.

Curly
This past summer we bought an older (ie affordable, ie cheap) motor home which we've been having fixed up. So far we've just taken a couple of short trips with it, but we've already experienced the very thing you mention at one of the RV parks we stayed at. I have to say the social aspect were totally unexpected but quite frankly great. It's pretty wonderful.

Ken

Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 AM

156 posts, read 229,697 times
Quote:
senior "summer" camp
LOL

Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 AM

682 posts, read 880,072 times
"I am in Yuma for the first time"...

Well then, start exploring the area.....hiking, biking, boating, fishing, kayaking, golfing, woodcarving, quilting, loafing...what's your pleasure ? Get involved with the community...are you into volunteering ? Have you checked out the Senior Games ? http://www.ci.yuma.az.us/Documents/C...-eventList.pdf. If you arrived in Yuma with expectations of something other than sand....sorry about your research....but there are plenty of green things around...just that most of them are edible. Well over 100K acres are in agricultural production in Yuma county. But if you came looking for trees, better fire up the rig and move somewhere else...however we live out in the country, with 3 huge pecan trees, 16 citrus trees and plenty of grass for the dog, ....we are very satisfied with Yuma.....wish we were there now instead of Charleston, SC where it is sunny and 28 degrees....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 AM

682 posts, read 880,072 times
Yuma Arizona Things to Do

How 'bout a car show....Welcome to the Midnight at the Oasis Website / The Southwest's Premier Classic Car and Nostalgia Festival / Yuma, AZ

How 'bout an air show...MCAS Yuma Airshow 2011

How 'bout photography...when was the last time you saw Big Horn Sheep in Virginia ? Kofa National Wildlife Refuge

How 'bout fishing in Yuma....Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

You get the idea...there are plenty of attractions in the Yuma area, maybe I have helped fill your calendar. Enjoy your stay.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona