U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is the best place to ski in Arizona
Arizona Snowbowl 6 54.55%
Sunrise Ski park 4 36.36%
Mount Lemmon Ski Valley 1 9.09%
Elk Ridge Ski Area 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 PM

619 posts, read 907,444 times

Advertisements

What is the best ski resort in Arizona??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:37 PM

619 posts, read 907,444 times
I would personally go to say Arizona Snowbowl. Has the most diverse terrain and has the best terrain park. PLus in about 5 years will be much bigger, have snow making, more trails, and HIGH SPEED lifts as well. Sunrise is a close second with MOunt Lemmon as 3rd. I really like MOunt Lemmon for some reason.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 PM

2,943 posts, read 3,733,146 times
I'm going with Mt Lemmon because every time I've gone (both in summer and winter) the folks have been extra friendly. The drive up Catalina Highway is especially scenic, as well.
It's certainly not the largest or most prolific, but it holds it's own pretty well, IMHO.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 PM

9,179 posts, read 10,038,164 times
There shouldn't even be a poll to this question because the answer is obvious....it's Sunrise. Hands down, you cannot argue the others are better. Mt Lemmon is not even a real ski resort and isn't even available for skiing every year and when it is available there is a lot of traffic to the resort which can often last into the hours which makes it an unrealistic option. It might be beautiful but the question asks about skiing so I'm answering the question with regard to things related to skiing (the snow, the runs, size, availability). Snowbowl is smaller and warmer so the quality of the snow isn't as good. When you account for the size, quality of the snow and less congestion, Sunrise is by far the best.

A better question should be Snowbowl vs Sunrise. The advantage of Snowbowl is it is about 1.5 hours closer to Phoenix than Sunrise. Flagstaff (Snowbowl) also offers more in terms of amenities, it's a college town so it's downtown has a fair number of bars and restaurants. Sunrise offers a more real skiing experience. I prefer to drive the extra 1.5 hours and drive to Sunrise because the quality of the skiing is that much better. However, if it's a last minute thing, and I want to get some skiing in, I will settle on Snowbowl.

I will say this though, Showlow (Sunrise) is improving each year. I went there for the first time 12 years ago and it was a nice little resort in the boonies with no hotels or restaurants. Since that time, Snowbowl has grown considerably and there are a fair number of restaurants and bars in the area now. You can rent upscale cabins from owners for $100 a night and these are very nice contemporary homes. I go there once every year. A lot of the ski rental places in the Valley offer bus tours to Sunrise so if you want to save money, you can take one of these tours. These rental places also sell lift tickets(to both Snowbowl and Sunrise) so you don't have to wait in line and buy them on the mountain.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 PM

9,179 posts, read 10,038,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
I would personally go to say Arizona Snowbowl. Has the most diverse terrain and has the best terrain park. PLus in about 5 years will be much bigger, have snow making, more trails, and HIGH SPEED lifts as well. Sunrise is a close second with MOunt Lemmon as 3rd. I really like MOunt Lemmon for some reason.
Right now, you can't argue Snowbowl has more diverse terrain. Sunrise is bigger and is much more developed. But you make a good point, Snowbowl will be bigger and more developed but that's still a long ways away, I would say 10 years not 5.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 PM

745 posts, read 988,403 times
Snowbowl will be closing within 5 years so i hear....the opposite of expanding.

As it sits Sunrise easily takes the cake...But with that drive from Phoenix, you might as well go to Big Bear East of LA

Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 PM

3,886 posts, read 6,372,009 times
I would like a really pretty place with a resort or cute cabins to bring the family up too! I am looking at it for more of the feel. Which one would have more of that? Doesn't have to be good skiing, just family fun and some ambiance. Are any like that, Ritchie, is that what you are talking about with Mt. Lemon?
I didn't really get that feeling in Flag. Was sort of ugly to me. The college skiers love it, we are just looking for some family fun.
I've been wanting to check out Mt. Lemon for a while......I keep hearing it's a nice escape with a great feel to it. I've never been there though, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has.
I'm gathering you could pick a time when traffic wasn't so bad? I don't even need a ton of snow, mostly for playing in and a little sledding.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:03 PM

2,943 posts, read 3,733,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I would like a really pretty place with a resort or cute cabins to bring the family up too! I am looking at it for more of the feel. Which one would have more of that? Doesn't have to be good skiing, just family fun and some ambiance. Are any like that, Ritchie, is that what you are talking about with Mt. Lemon?
I didn't really get that feeling in Flag. Was sort of ugly to me. The college skiers love it, we are just looking for some family fun.
I've been wanting to check out Mt. Lemon for a while......I keep hearing it's a nice escape with a great feel to it. I've never been there though, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has.
I'm gathering you could pick a time when traffic wasn't so bad? I don't even need a ton of snow, mostly for playing in and a little sledding.
You can find rental cabins, but the lodge on Mt Lemmon burned down seven or eight years ago. There have been plans to rebuild it, but as far as I know construction has yet to start.
Here are some links that may be helpful:
Mt. Lemmon, Summerhaven, Tucson, Arizona - Frog Mountain
Village of Summerhaven
Summerhaven, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley
Mount Lemmon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coronado National Forest - Scenic Drives - Catalina Highway
Perhaps one or more of them will be useful.
The thing to know about Mt. Lemmon and Summerhaven is that it is small with limited amenities. I've had good experiences with the amenities that are there, but just be aware that it's limited. It can get crowded, especially on the weekends. If you are renting a cabin, that probably won't be much of an issue. But M-F is much less crowded than the weekends.
Good luck!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 PM

8,165 posts, read 9,837,615 times
twiggy - I'm not sure if you can go wrong with the White Mountains & sunrise area .... it's more a trek, but probably the tops as far as a "winter wonderland" type of environment in AZ

Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 PM

17,568 posts, read 20,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Check out Hannagan Meadows and/or Molly Butler (and others) in Greer. Nearby Alpine is a winter world away from Phoenix.

My favorite for a winter getaway:

http://www.hannaganmeadow.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona