Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:17 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
i HIGHLY recommend you spend some time in the valley soon while its still hot. some people really hate the heat (me) it is hot from the middle of may until the middle of october. it is unbearably hot from june through august. the winter here is somewhat comparable to the summer and fall in the east minus the humidity. i hate az and i'm moving to upstate ny in the spring of 2009, but best wishes to you.
Oh that's a drastic move. I do know many that hated AZ though. I myself could never understand why people moved back to NY. Good Luck though.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 11,858 times
Hi, my girlfriend and her b/friend moved to Cave Creek 2 yrs ago from NYC, and they love it. They have both found job, bought a beautiful house and have lots of friends. I went to visit them in Feb. and have decided to move there, but rent first to make sure that I like it. I have no idea about the schools, but from what I have heard Cave Creek has very good ones. And, the prices of homes are dropping there. Good luck in whatever you do.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:56 PM

39 posts, read 247,537 times

WHY???????? Go anywhere but in the valley!!!!! The whole big valley clear from Tonapah to Apache Junction (W-E) and Anthem(N) to Awhatukee(s)

again WHY?????

Old 07-14-2007, 06:33 PM

62 posts, read 266,911 times
NYClady made a great suggestion, Cave Creek is a great place to live.

Where on Long Island are you from? I have lived in both Manhasset and Syosset and love the Valley. If schools are your prime concern, I would look into the East Valley (Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa). Their school districts are by far the best (Fountain HIlls, Cave Creek are both good too.) How old are your kids? Is there anything about schools you are looking for in particular (private vs. public)? I would look into the school zones of Chaparral High and Desert Mountain High in Scottsdale, Pinnacle High in Phoenix, Desert Vista High in Ahwatukee, Corona del Sol in Tempe, and Dobson High in Mesa.

These schools have great AP programs and Desert Mountain has an IB track.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:53 PM

14 posts, read 84,344 times
I graduated from Coronal del Sol in Tempe and it was a great school. I now live in the Desert Vista district and schooling is about the same as it was in the Corona district.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Ryan Melville

Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 AM

178 posts, read 801,239 times
to jchronowitz: If you want hot weather and no winter, a smaller town and good schools, I'd pick Las Cruces, NM over Phoenix in a New York minute! It is a bit cooler in the summer, though still plenty hot, has less air pollution and much less of the big-city problems Phx. has. Also, housing is much cheaper. The population is about 80,000. If you wanted a smaller town,say around 35000+,you might want to look at Alamogordo,NM, half hour drive from cool green mountains. Hope you will spend some time outside in Phx during the hottest part of summer to see if it suits you before you decide. some people find the "summer" months of June- laste Sept., withering!
for smaller AZ city, I'd look north of Phx- Carefree or Anthem, which have less air pollution and traffic. aren't you going to miss those wonderful Long Island summers and mild winters???????????

Old 07-16-2007, 11:59 AM

283 posts, read 990,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel87 View Post
i have yet to hear a co-worker "wish they were back in pa" for the summer.
Are you kidding? The Northeast RULES in the summer!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 14,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChronowitz View Post
We are giving some serious thought to moving from Long Island New York to Arizona. Anyone move from EAST to Arizona?

Anyone have any recommendations on places to live, realtors, schools etc.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Shannon Collins 602 361 5470 square one realy buyers agent. She helped us. Really great gal will take good care of you. She can recommend all that stuff she has kids as well. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 14,281 times
Default your realtor

Call this gal, Shannon Collins 602 361 5470, she helped us, knows the town well & schools, she has kids too. She is mostly a buyers agent, took great care of us, won't steer you in the wrong direction.

Lotsa Luck

Old 07-16-2007, 01:23 PM

21 posts, read 72,415 times
Default Observations about AZ

WOW, that would be a change! I lived in Scottsdale and went to college in Flagstaff. I would say you must go out and see. The valley now is strip mall after strip mall with a true feeling of consummer America. The traffic has gotten bad, and the track housing and heat, lesson the unique beauty of the scenery. Prescott still holds character, and they have some nice plots of land you can buy and the temperature is not as hot. Tuscon has its charms still with the white mountains, etc. Flagstaff is a college mountain town that has a true granola feel with clean air, but there is little work unless you are in the University, etc. There is a lot of beauty and diversity to getting out and exploring AZ, but if you don't have to live in Phoenix(the valley) for work, I would not. UNLESS, of course, you have money to be in Camelback mountain, Sedona, or one of the new gated communities that pamper you with amenities so you never have to leave! Good luck, and good for you for exploring your options and getting off the Island!! My family is from there, but I left when I was young. There is a great article on yahoo today about the top ten places to live..if you have choices, read it, they have good insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona