Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM

130 posts, read 579,083 times

Advertisements

Because the government is a bully who can do anything it wants when 99% of Americans don't stand up against it or worse are a part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 AM

134 posts, read 514,308 times
A little bit dated but this article was written by someone that is from NY
Vehicle Registration in Arizona - MVD Phoenix - Motor Vehicle Department - DMV Arizona

Motor Vehicle Division

As explained by Penderosa -

How much does it cost to title and register my vehicle?
It varies depending on the vehicle. There is a $4.00 title fee; an $8.00 registration fee; plus an air quality research fee of $1.50; and a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. There may also be a weight fee and commercial registration fee, if the vehicle is registered as commercial. The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value. For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06.

For a mobile home the title fee is $7.00 per section or unit. No other mobile home fees are payable to MVD.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:07 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If it's a new one or, lord help you, if it's a motorhome seeing the fee will give you a heart attack.
It's an '06 and it was registered here in July. Not sure if that is "new" or not. Likely not as the cost didn't jump out at me.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 AM

124 posts, read 661,066 times
I have a question...what if I move back to AZ and my car is new with new tabs from another state that don't expire for 10 months...do I still need to RE pay the fee, or can I let it go until my tabs are up??

Old 12-16-2010, 11:02 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose View Post
I have a question...what if I move back to AZ and my car is new with new tabs from another state that don't expire for 10 months...do I still need to RE pay the fee, or can I let it go until my tabs are up??
If you "let it go" and get caught, you will be ticketed. Here's a link to the MVD: Motor Vehicle Division
State law requires that you obtain an Arizona vehicle registration and driver license, immediately if any of the following applies. If you:
  • Work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work) –or–
  • Are registered to vote in Arizona –or–
  • Place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident –or–
  • Have a business that has an office in Arizona, and that bases and operates vehicles in this state –or–
  • Obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident –or–
  • Have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona –or–
  • Remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.
Out-of-state students enrolled with 7 or more semester hours, are not considered Arizona residents, regardless of employment.

Active duty military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003 are not considered Arizona residents.

When you buy a vehicle, Arizona law requires that you apply for a title within 15 days of purchase. If your vehicle was registered in another state and you wish to operate it in Arizona, you must register it here as soon as you become an Arizona resident (See “Resident Definition”).

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
If you think it is expensive in Arizona try registering it in California.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
If you think it is expensive in Arizona try registering it in California.
Arizona is significantly more expensive than California. Tax on a new, $ 25K car would cost $420 for the initial year in AZ and only $250 in California according to web-based calculators. I didn't do subsequent years. CA voters cut the rate a few years ago - one of the reasons the state is bankrupt and up to its neck in debt. (AZ is nearly bankrupt as well, though)

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-16-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose View Post
Most (if not all) states will refund the price you paid for your tags on a pro rated basis, if you cancel them and submit proof of your new state's registration.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
Whatever they call it it's a lot of money but the government is going to get their money somewhere. AZ is worse that some states but not as bad as others.
When we lived in WA they were high there too.
We got a measure on the ballot and all fees for cars, trucks and motor homes came in at under $100.
It can be done here too.
Now I drive an older car and it matters little to me. After the 10-11 year cycle it's at minimum.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 PM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
I will tell you the way I roll, although most people do not follow:

I always buy and drive a very low mileage 10 yr or older used luxury car, like a Buick, Lincoln, nice convertible, etc. I never spend more than about $2000-$10,000 on a car, and most times sell it in a couple years for more than I bought it for. Right now I drive a 10 yr old convertible with 40k miles on it. I prefer to drive in like-new luxury, rather than a new every man car. That nullifies the high AZ licence fees that most people continue to pay each year.

Now for insurance. I am a good aware driver. I have never been in an accident that was my fault, except for one when I was a teenager over 40 yrs ago. I put my car on the same insurance policy as my home and I never get comprehensive/collision on my own car. My car insurance to drive a luxury car is around $40-60 per month.

I admit I wasn't always so smart about what I drove. When young I thought driving a new car was the only way to go. I was even fool enough to trade in a nice big car for a new small one to get better gas mileage....duh! I laugh at myself now knowing how much gas I could have bought with that $10,000-40,000 one spends on a new car, licensing, and insurance (not to mention interest and payment on a huge car loan most people are always saddle with). I first wised up once I became a Honda car salesman about 20 yrs ago. I used to see all these people trading in gorgeous low mileage cars for practically nothing on a new Honda. I started buying one of the trade ins every couple years for one fourth of what a new Honda cost. I first bought these like new Cadillacs and Lincolns when the gas crunches hit and no one wanted them any longer. That is when it finally dawned on me: why not drive a $40,000 luxury car and save the money a new car costs. Heck, I could put $5000 of the $20,000 I saved in an account to pay for all the gas I could ever use while owning the car.

Oh well, we learn as we go. It sure seems like a shame though that we can't be born with the knowledge we die with, so we could have been using it all our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona