Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
But it's significantly lower than what they thought. Near the beginning, there was speculation that Arizona may have even lost people in more recent years.
You claim this is not your speculation but some other source. Please quote that source and specific quotes in that article that claim the Valley endured a net loss of population in more recent years. I've read every article in the Arizona Republic regarding this issue and not one of them has made this speculation as you suggest. All of these articles have suggested the rate of growth has decreased and some have argued the net growth isn't quite as large as predicted but none of them have stated the Valley has lost population or endured a net loss of people. Even the one article you quoted suggested the city of Phoenix (not the Valley) might have lost people in a given year but even that article goes on to state that Phoenix still grew. That article is also 2 years old and it's still a far cry from your statement that claimed some article said that Arizona or metro Phoenix lost population. Even this recent article about the Census dispute acknowledges Arizona has grown as their estimates claim the state has 6.4 million people so the question of "shrinkage" is not even on the table. This speculation is simply your speculation. You might as well admit it instead of lying and claiming some other source stated that. Even the articles you posted do not speculate this or make this claim.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,971,669 times
Check the lower section of this link:

AZ Economic Indicators : January 2011- Winter Issue : Arizona's Economy : Economic and Business Research Center : Eller College of Management : The University of Arizona

Looks like Phx gained 55,000 over the past year (Q2 2009 to Q2 2010), mostly due to births which is no surprise of a city with a large Hispanic presence. It appears the birth trend is on the decline ... fewer illegals? Note that net migration fell nearly 50%. That's a HUGE decline ... perhaps one of the largest in the nation. You have to wonder what accounted for new jobs after factoring out the retirement sector.

It just goes to show when you have a state economy that has been addicted to growth it's no wonder the rehab is going to be lengthy.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,221,495 times
I don't know whether I should be flattered or disturbed that you spent so much time looking into me. In any case, here's an article saying people left this year:

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law - USATODAY.com

Again, I can't trust Arizona's population data as the original link I posted said it was flawed. Too bad you can't stay on topic though, and instead want to pick a fight.

Florida and Nevada have started losing people, and I think it's possible Arizona could be as well. And this "logic" you're arguing is the same Ritchie uses, in that you're distorting data. I know Arizona did grow overall between 2000-2010, but I think it's entirely possible it may have shrunk since the beginning of the recession as Florida and Nevada did. And you're 100% correct in the fact that I can't stand Arizona... but does that mean I can't have a debate on it? I did lose one crappy job (as Arizona has those in abundance), but have ALWAYS had a second job. See... employers like experience on resumes, and considering it's next to impossible for me to gain relevant experience in Phoenix I do and always have done freelance work. I don't make as much as I could working for someone, but I have freelance listed on my resume and thus, have more experience. And it's true, my partner was not supportive of moving early on. Things have changed and he understands it's best for both of us to go.

Now... try to stay on topic, would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post

AZ Economic Indicators : January 2011- Winter Issue : Arizona's Economy : Economic and Business Research Center : Eller College of Management : The University of Arizona

Looks like Phx gained 55,000 over the past year (Q2 2009 to Q2 2010), mostly due to births which is no surprise of a city with a large Hispanic presence. It appears the birth trend is on the decline ... fewer illegals? Note that net migration fell nearly 50%. That's a HUGE decline ... perhaps one of the largest in the nation. You have to wonder what accounted for new jobs after factoring out the retirement sector.

It just goes to show when you have a state economy that has been addicted to growth it's no wonder the rehab is going to be lengthy.
Thank you for that

I think that link is pretty interesting. I can see the net migration slowing dramatically... I just wish it explained whether or not fewer people are moving in, or if the inbound migration rate is roughly the same and the outbound migration rate increased. It looks like retail and health care had the biggest gains... but what's really interesting to me is the gain in state/local government employment and the decrease in federal.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,113,334 times
Quote:
I don't know whether I should be flattered or disturbed that you spent so much time looking into me. In any case, here's an article saying people left this year:

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law - USATODAY.com

Again, I can't trust Arizona's population data as the original link I posted said it was flawed. Too bad you can't stay on topic though, and instead want to pick a fight.

Florida and Nevada have started losing people, and I think it's possible Arizona could be as well. And this "logic" you're arguing is the same Ritchie uses, in that you're distorting data. I know Arizona did grow overall between 2000-2010, but I think it's entirely possible it may have shrunk since the beginning of the recession as Florida and Nevada did. And you're 100% correct in the fact that I can't stand Arizona... but does that mean I can't have a debate on it? I did lose one crappy job (as Arizona has those in abundance), but have ALWAYS had a second job. See... employers like experience on resumes, and considering it's next to impossible for me to gain relevant experience in Phoenix I do and always have done freelance work. I don't make as much as I could working for someone, but I have freelance listed on my resume and thus, have more experience. And it's true, my partner was not supportive of moving early on. Things have changed and he understands it's best for both of us to go.

Now... try to stay on topic, would you?

Thank you for that

I think that link is pretty interesting. I can see the net migration slowing dramatically... I just wish it explained whether or not fewer people are moving in, or if the inbound migration rate is roughly the same and the outbound migration rate increased. It looks like retail and health care had the biggest gains... but what's really interesting to me is the gain in state/local government employment and the decrease in federal.
Hey phxgreenfire, Ill switch places with you!! Come to Texas and ill goto AZ

Old 12-27-2010, 02:04 PM

260 posts, read 509,781 times
I dont think people would want to move from a crowded, over populated area, to another crowded, over populated area. And in my opinion, the people in California, will stay in crowded California, until they move to Arizona.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:54 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,113,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmoses View Post
I dont think people would want to move from a crowded, over populated area, to another crowded, over populated area. And in my opinion, the people in California, will stay in crowded California, until they move to Arizona.
huh????

Old 12-27-2010, 05:17 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,494,530 times
Most people's noses are turning green. I mean, I read an article that suggested that perhaps most peoples noses are turning green. I'm not saying that they actually are, but you can't prove that they are not. And I read it was true in the Arizona Republic once. I hate noses and it doesn't surpise me that most are turning green. I need to find some real people that don't have noses. Especially sinse most are turning green. I mean, I read it in the newspaper once. People who have green noses are so much like those green-nosed Detroit idiots.

That's pretty close to the extent of the OP's posts.

Arizona has been growing at one of the highest rates in the country and Phoenix has been one of the top cities for job growth in the whole country over the last 18 months or so. Sorry that you can't see the forest for all the hate in your heart.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,221,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Most people's noses are turning green. I mean, I read an article that suggested that perhaps most peoples noses are turning green. I'm not saying that they actually are, but you can't prove that they are not. And I read it was true in the Arizona Republic once. I hate noses and it doesn't surpise me that most are turning green. I need to find some real people that don't have noses. Especially sinse most are turning green. I mean, I read it in the newspaper once. People who have green noses are so much like those green-nosed Detroit idiots.

That's pretty close to the extent of the OP's posts.

Arizona has been growing at one of the highest rates in the country and Phoenix has been one of the top cities for job growth in the whole country over the last 18 months or so. Sorry that you can't see the forest for all the hate in your heart.
Sounds interesting! Have any statistics/reports you can use? Just make sure they only support your argument and blow off the big picture... wait, you knew that already.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Sounds interesting! Have any statistics/reports you can use? Just make sure they only support your argument and blow off the big picture... wait, you knew that already.
Let's recap shall we. You started a thread asking us to discuss Arizona's supposed shrinking population during the recession. You claimed an article speculated about this. When we asked you to specifically identify what article made this speculation and what part of that article specifically claimed our population shrank, you couldn't do so. Then you stated you never claimed or insinuated Arizona's population shrank but were simply quoting an article. Except the article you quoted never stated that and when we asked you to show us specifically how that article stated that, you couldn't do so. It's pretty obvious what your agenda is if others can't already see through your act.

So basically, your goal was to bash Arizona by discussing an issue that doesn't exist (shrinking population) You took a headline of an article that suggested Phoenix (not Arizona or the Phoenix metro) as possibly having lost people in a given year; that article was published in January of 2009 and even in that article, it never claimed or stated Phoenix lost people in that given year. You took that article and extrapolated that to suggest the entire state lost people during these past three years.

Then you misread the other article you quoted. The U.S. Census claimed Arizona's population as having 6.4 million people. The state of Arizona claimed the state had 6.9 million people at the end of 2009. So the U.S. Census is allowing Arizona to reassess it's population. However, you overlooked a major fact. Even if we are to assume the U.S. Census count is valid, that would still mean the state resulted in a net gain of people. You ignored this fact and are still on some rant about how the state lost people during these past 4 years.

And your credibility is in question. Anyone can examine your posting history and see that nearly all of your posts are negative toward Arizona. You also claimed you were jobless in August so it wouldn't surprise me if you are still jobless hence the reason you are so bitter toward this state. Nonetheless, I saw the writing on the wall with this thread. We've had similar people try the same shenanigans with the weather. Please don't waste peoples' time. People come here for information. They are not here to read you vent because you hate Arizona. I'm sorry you are out of work but there is no need to post false information and try to mislead people because you have some childish vendetta against this state.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post

Yes, the rate of net migration dropped but it was still positive which means GROWTH. The state was still growing albeit less than it was during the boom. All of us understand this and no one has stated otherwise.

The OP, on the other hand, is arguing a different point altogether. He is claiming the state population shrank or experienced a net loss of people. That is simply not true. When we confronted the OP with the facts, he backtracked by saying he never made that claim but that he was simply "referring to a source that made that claim" which that source never did.

The point of Ritchie and I intervening in this thread is to essentially destroy the myth that some trolls have perpetuated about how the state lost people when in reality it still grew. There is just a lot of b.s. information on these forums and unfortunately people like myself have to dispel it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona