Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,534 times

Advertisements

Okay so I have a really interesting and kind of confusing question at the same time so here it goes.

In June 2010 I left Arizona and decided to move to Austin, Texas (I did receive instate tuition while in Arizona) Since I have now been in Texas for 6 months I have yet to attend college out here for personal reasons. I am going to be moving back to Arizona in June of 2011 after attending one semester in CC out here in Austin. So my question is...

Will I still be eligible to receive instate tuition from Arizona even though I have been gone for a year?

I think I still am a resident of Arizona (I currently still have a Arizona Drivers License and my car is still registered with the AZ plates still good til March 2011)

If anyone can give me some input into this situation I would GREATLY appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Your one semester out of state will show up I would guess. You may have a hard time showing the required prior residency.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:55 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I'm not sure how they track that. If you don't claim the credits for that one semester, I don't know how they find them, but then you don't get the benefit of those credits, either. I would just go to the source and ask them. You don't have to give your name, just explain the circumstances.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 PM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
if you have an Arizona driver license, arizona car registration, and feel like filing an AZ state income tax return for 2010, why wouldn't you be an AZ resident... I doubt it'd be an issue when you sign back up here in AZ. Ff you're planning to transfer your texas community college credits, I'd say that you were a texas 'non-resident' while you were studying out there, if the issue comes up. Doubt it would though.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
if you have an Arizona driver license, arizona car registration, and feel like filing an AZ state income tax return for 2010, why wouldn't you be an AZ resident... I doubt it'd be an issue when you sign back up here in AZ. Ff you're planning to transfer your texas community college credits, I'd say that you were a texas 'non-resident' while you were studying out there, if the issue comes up. Doubt it would though.
Well, they actually do care, so it might come up. It isn't just becoming a resident, for tuition purposes you have to have been here a certain period of time, if I recall correctly.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 AM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, they actually do care, so it might come up. It isn't just becoming a resident, for tuition purposes you have to have been here a certain period of time, if I recall correctly.
I never answer questions on CD that I don't have first hand experience with. One of the problems with any online forum is there's so much misinformation posted, with no way to qualify the answers. Anyhow-

The residency period is a year, so when the OP shows up to register as a student here in AZ, and has an Arizona driver's license (with an issue date more than a year ago), AZ registration, and an AZ tax return for the previous year, then the registrar's office will consider him an AZ resident.

If OP cares about transferring out-of-state credits, then he/she needs to make clear that they were earned out-of-state, as an Arizona resident studying in a non-resident capacity in Texas.

If OP plans to come back to AZ in 2011, then filing an AZ tax return for FY2010 (easy as I presume he/she is a student) preserves the paper trail of AZ residency.

Simple, and as with everything in life, the less information volunteered to the registrar, the better.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
I never answer questions on CD that I don't have first hand experience with. One of the problems with any online forum is there's so much misinformation posted, with no way to qualify the answers. Anyhow-

The residency period is a year, so when the OP shows up to register as a student here in AZ, and has an Arizona driver's license (with an issue date more than a year ago), AZ registration, and an AZ tax return for the previous year, then the registrar's office will consider him an AZ resident.

If OP cares about transferring out-of-state credits, then he/she needs to make clear that they were earned out-of-state, as an Arizona resident studying in a non-resident capacity in Texas.

If OP plans to come back to AZ in 2011, then filing an AZ tax return for FY2010 (easy as I presume he/she is a student) preserves the paper trail of AZ residency.

Simple, and as with everything in life, the less information volunteered to the registrar, the better.
I thought it was still a year, as that was the requirement back when I was a student, but I was not sure whether it had changed. That's why I phrased it as I did.

Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona