U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:20 PM

8,843 posts, read 16,799,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
We're talking countries, not continents. Example;

United Kingdom-1.28 per 100,000
United States-5.0 per 100,00

Like I said, not even close.
Yeah, so what? Mexico has strict gun laws, and has a murder rate of 15 per 100,000. Besides, that chart doesn't include ATTEMPTED murders. Probably the reason the United Kingdom's numbers are so low is that they're just not very good at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,743,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Kennesaw has 21000 affluent, lily-white bible-thumping residents. Kennesaw crime is 1/2 the US average and no better than any similar sized city with similar demographics. You can't make the comparison with LA or any large city. Your arguments are silly. Homeowners defending against non-existent intruders is a fantasy of the gun lobby. Nonsense through and through. Affluent societies like the US that limit guns are safer. There can be no discussion of that. It is fact! Strict, and I mean STRICT, limits - not some magazine size BS - on the possession of firearms would save hundreds of lives a year, including those lost in Tucson last week.

I am a gun owner/user myself. I have a concealed carry permit and have had it for years. I am a military combat vet as well. But I am smart enough to know that just because I am responsible does not mean that lesser people among us will be and that the best way to protect society from gun crime is to restrict gun "rights" as completely as possible. That's just the way it is.
Actually Switzerland is perhaps the safest country in the world, crime rate is close to zero in almost all categories, EVERY house is armed and all citizens know how to use firearms.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM

28,094 posts, read 38,116,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Actually Switzerland is perhaps the safest country in the world, crime rate is close to zero in almost all categories, EVERY house is armed and all citizens know how to use firearms.
It does raise the interesting question of why the US, which is also heavily armed is so violent. Some propose that the American culture is basically a violent culture. There may be something to that. If it is the case, putting guns in our collective hands is the same as offering a drink to an alcoholic.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
That's fascinating, and should put an END to the gun control arguments. I hope you don't mind, but I had to verify this information to see if it's true and it is. At 1 homicide per 100,000 it's indeed one of the lowest homicide rate countries in the world. All households are issued military rifles, and target practice is a huge sport there. So it goes without saying that crime is going to be low. Who in their right mind is going to break into a house that's guaranteed to have an owner with army rifles and who knows how to use them?

Gun control advocates have the wrong idea. We should be ISSUING guns to every household in America, rather than trying to take them away.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It does raise the interesting question of why the US, which is also heavily armed is so violent. Some propose that the American culture is basically a violent culture. There may be something to that. If it is the case, putting guns in our collective hands is the same as offering a drink to an alcoholic.
Why don't we start with yours, Ponderosa. Feel free to send 'em to me.

But seriously, when they show up to take your guns, are you going to hand them over?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That's fascinating, and should put an END to the gun control arguments. I hope you don't mind, but I had to verify this information to see if it's true and it is. At 1 homicide per 100,000 it's indeed one of the lowest homicide rate countries in the world. All households are issued military rifles, and target practice is a huge sport there. So it goes without saying that crime is going to be low. Who in their right mind is going to break into a house that's guaranteed to have an owner with army rifles and who knows how to use them?

Gun control advocates have the wrong idea. We should be ISSUING guns to every household in America, rather than trying to take them away.
You are assuming a cause and effect relationship that may not exist. It puts an end to nothing. The US is highly armed as well and has an obscene rate of gun violence. Maybe we need to look into why we can't seem to live in peace with either ourselves or the world while they have for centuries in Switzerland.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Why don't we start with yours, Ponderosa. Feel free to send 'em to me.

But seriously, when they show up to take your guns, are you going to hand them over?
I am not expecting anyone to show up for my guns any time in my life. As I said earlier, it will be incremental change at best. Maybe the solution is to change the way we Americans behave rather than take away the means of violence. It can start with the rhetoric and the polarization of opinion that it reflects. Education and opportunity for the poor would help too. But, shoot, I am sounding like a Swiss now.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 PM

209 posts, read 356,487 times
Quote:

Couldn't agree more kdog. Make firearm ownership mandatory for the law-abiding and jail time mandatory for the criminals in illegal possession of a firearm.

I have used my possession of a firearm to stop a home invasion and I can attest that possession of a firearm is a definite deterrent.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,743,846 times
Quote:

Dawg!!!!! I do try to be accurate, pun intended.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:34 PM

308 posts, read 602,142 times
I have long thought that many of our crime problems stem from two main things. First, the urbanization of our population, which led to people not understanding where things come from ie. food, lumber, textiles, etc. and also led to people being unfamiliar with firearms and how to use them properly. This bred fear of guns istead of seeing them as just another tool.

Secondly, America has developed a bad case of "stuffitis". We want more and more, and we want it right now. If you don't have what your parents had when they retired by the time you are 20, there is something wrong. You deserve to have everything you want RIGHT NOW! This has led to many just trying to take what they want from others who already have it.

Add to this the woefull lack of punishment for crimes committed, and we have a real problem. Punishment MUST be both SWIFT and SURE. This is why the death penalty in its current form does not work. Nobody is deterred from committing capital murder if it takes 25 years to POSSIBLY be executed for the crime.

If you want to solve gun crimes, make the punishment swift, sure and harsh. Same with drug crimes. Same with any crime. Personal responsibility has been bred out of us by the government telling us they will take care of everything for us. Look at when the crime stats started climbing--the 1960's. Look at how our culture started changing at that time. ME, ME, ME is all that matters. Of course crime rates have gone up. Nobody cares about anything or anyone but themselves and what they can get for themselves. I am painting with a broad brush, I know, but if we don't turn around these misconceptions, we are in for a long road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or