U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 PM

14 posts, read 46,213 times

Advertisements

This summer will be the first time we have ever closed up a home in AZ for a couple months and was wondering what everyone does for precautions with the summer heat. I know some say they leave their air con on and set at a high temp. Some fill their toilet stools and drains with olive oil or anti freeze for pest control. Some say not to close your kitchen and bathroom drain plugs and then some say yes you should. I have just heard of a few suggestions and am hoping to hear back from some snow birds that do this on a regular basis. We will be new to the area and dont yet know the neighbors but am hoping to meet one that would keep an eye on the place. Are there companies that hire out to vacant home owners to do this sort of thing? If not, I think I have come upon a new business adventure!!! LOL I would appreciate any suggestions you may all have. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 AM

42,574 posts, read 56,740,833 times
When we leave for any significant time we do the following.
Stop the newspapers...Stop the burglers.
Change mail address... Pay the bills.
Shut off water heater... Saves electricity.
Shut off water to indoor plumbing... Keep from flooding house if pipe/valve break.
Up the air conditioner 5 degrees... Keeps house from drying out and warping things.
Tell a friend/relative... Let someone know where to contact you.
Set the alarm... Keep the burglers away.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM

81 posts, read 252,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
When we leave for any significant time we do the following.
Stop the newspapers...Stop the burglers.
Change mail address... Pay the bills.
Shut off water heater... Saves electricity.
Shut off water to indoor plumbing... Keep from flooding house if pipe/valve break.
Up the air conditioner 5 degrees... Keeps house from drying out and warping things.
Tell a friend/relative... Let someone know where to contact you.
Set the alarm... Keep the burglers away.

Sounds good..I would also put out some 5 gallon buckets of water to help keep things from drying out. Also make sure your blinds are shut or the windows are all covered. It's amazing how much heat comes in from just those decorative half moon windows!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 AM

36,646 posts, read 46,899,773 times
We leave for 6 weeks in summer. Turn off water. Turn off water heater. Set the thermostat to 90. And go. Of course stop the mail and paper. I have a pool and it gets full of leaves and stuff but I can clean it up pretty fast when I get back. The salt schlorinator keeps it from getting green and it has auto water level.

One thing that is going to be a problem for you is junk in the driveway. Someone is always dropping a paper in the drive or putting a flyer on the door. I am friends with the neighbors and they pick all that up and keep an eye on the place and other friends have our key and come in to check on things from time to time.

There are many services in our area that do that too. I don't know how one goes about finding one other than word of mouth. Neighborhood paper? Internet?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:38 PM

886 posts, read 944,818 times
Does anyone stop utilities when you are vacant for long periods (like four to six months)?

I have an electric bill separate from the sewer/water/garbage pickup (Lake Havasu).

The electric bill minimum is fairly low when no one is there so Ill probably just pay it year around (no electricity is used when Im not there - completely shut off). But the sewer/water/garbage pickup monthly bill is considerable even with no water used. I need to look into the costs of doing this but Im thinking about shutting down the sewer/water/garbage for maybe 6 months a year..

Ill have to compare the "disconnect/re-connect" charges to the monthly bill but it would seem this is fairly common thing for the utility company to deal with??

Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 PM

42,574 posts, read 56,740,833 times
One other thing I forgot to mention. We set up lamps, on timers, with CFL lamps that turn on and off at different times in several rooms so to make it look like someone is home at night.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 PM

9,540 posts, read 29,707,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
One other thing I forgot to mention. We set up lamps, on timers, with CFL lamps that turn on and off at different times in several rooms so to make it look like someone is home at night.
Excellent advice, Nitram.

Also, a small radio on a timer is another option.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 AM

3,063 posts, read 6,146,982 times
I would fill the sinks and tubs with water. It helps put moisture into the home.
If you leave your AC on it will just dry everything out as removing moisture from the air is what one of it's function is. I would not leave it on.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 AM

245 posts, read 664,988 times
There is a device called Fake TV burglar deterrent. It is a small box of LEDs that simulates the flashing of a TV inside a room. Seems like a great idea to me.

I don't have one myself but the reviews at Amazon are positive.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,444,103 times
I left for three months starting 8-31. It got no hotter than 85.6F. That was in a Townhouse, so I was surrounded by cooling, with a northern exposure. It was 30 to get the power back on, so I saved a nominal amount of money on that, but did pull the plug completely on Cox. Insurance and some condo security.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona