U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 02-07-2011, 03:30 AM

93 posts, read 236,150 times
Default 5 Pros and Cons Of Living In Arizona

Hey just want to know from you what are 5 Pros and Cons of living in Arizona?

Would love to go to Arizona one day especially to the US Airways Center to see my Suns.

But yea just want to know. I think I already know heat will be on the Cons list.

What do you think?

Unread 02-07-2011, 06:51 AM

679 posts, read 570,697 times
sunny days -320+
very few bugs
weather
close to CA, NV, for weekend trips
great roads no tolls
clean and new in most areas
nice people
gun laws and overall conservative nature

cons
economy to dependent on Real estate industry

Unread 02-07-2011, 08:14 AM

142 posts, read 339,664 times
Pros:
pretty much what was said above: 1.nice weather for 7 months of the year. 2. lots to do outdoors both in and around the valley. 3.Good shopping and restaurant selection. 4.We don't have too many flying, annoying bugs like gnats, no see-ums, chiggers, etc. 5. It is pretty clean. I have family who come visit from NJ, DC area, MD, and GA and they all comment on how clean our roads and streets are.

Cons
1.The economy is too reliant on new construction and real estate. 2. The heat in the summer can be quite oppressive. 3. Houses and lots are too small and too close together. For all the space here in the desert you would think we'd have more opportunity for larger pieces of property. I would love to find a decent house for a decent price on 2 acres of land. 4. Lack of large shade trees. I do miss trees, big ones. I have a few trees in my yard that are about 20 ft tall but I do miss the oaks, sycamores, walnuts, and towering pines. 5. Traffic and the way people drive like they think they are competing at Indy. Crazy!

I'm sure I could think of more on both sides of the debate but that's a good start. I'm an east coast transplant and the things I really miss the most are the true change of seasons, the trees and green especially at spring time, and I miss the ocean. I grew up in NJ about 1/2 hr from the beach and my grandparents had a house on the bay so we had sailboats, canoes, etc. I do miss the ocean and the beach quite a bit. We try to get to San Diego at least once a year and Hawaii or Mexico at least one other time. Last summer I visited my grandparents who are now in FL near Delray and that was a nice trip to see the water!

Unread 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM

6,074 posts, read 9,161,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
Pros:
pretty much what was said above: 1.nice weather for 7 months of the year. 2. lots to do outdoors both in and around the valley. 3.Good shopping and restaurant selection. 4.We don't have too many flying, annoying bugs like gnats, no see-ums, chiggers, etc. 5. It is pretty clean. I have family who come visit from NJ, DC area, MD, and GA and they all comment on how clean our roads and streets are.

Cons
1.The economy is too reliant on new construction and real estate. 2. The heat in the summer can be quite oppressive. 3. Houses and lots are too small and too close together. For all the space here in the desert you would think we'd have more opportunity for larger pieces of property. I would love to find a decent house for a decent price on 2 acres of land. 4. Lack of large shade trees. I do miss trees, big ones. I have a few trees in my yard that are about 20 ft tall but I do miss the oaks, sycamores, walnuts, and towering pines. 5. Traffic and the way people drive like they think they are competing at Indy. Crazy!

I'm sure I could think of more on both sides of the debate but that's a good start. I'm an east coast transplant and the things I really miss the most are the true change of seasons, the trees and green especially at spring time, and I miss the ocean. I grew up in NJ about 1/2 hr from the beach and my grandparents had a house on the bay so we had sailboats, canoes, etc. I do miss the ocean and the beach quite a bit. We try to get to San Diego at least once a year and Hawaii or Mexico at least one other time. Last summer I visited my grandparents who are now in FL near Delray and that was a nice trip to see the water!
Just a reminder that this is the Arizona forum. While true for Phoenix, very little of what is written here applies to Arizona as a whole. For example, in northern Arizona, we don't have traffic, we do have large lots, but we don't have much in the way of shopping and restaurants. In central AZ, life is somewhere between northern AZ and Phoenix. It's a very big and diverse state.

Unread 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,110,700 times
Like KDOG advised this a good size state and very diverse.

Back in the days when I lived in the Valley.
On my days off I would head south when it was snowing and cold up North and head North when it was so smoking hot.
There is hiking and exploring to do in every area of this state lakes and fishing etc.
Look at Kingman yes its known as High Desert but how many realize what we have in the Hualapai's ? just a quick hop and we are in the pines and cooler terrain.

Unread 02-08-2011, 12:04 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,949,811 times
Keep in mind that these are from a personal standpoint. The five pros are:
* Conservative/libertarian attitudes (not Bible Belt, but not quite California or east coast tax & spend liberalism either)
* Little in the way of labor unions ... translating to fewer strikes and lower costs for goods & services
* Gun laws that favor the property owner & crime victim more than the criminal
* The variation of geography & climates within the state (deserts, forests, canyons, and other natural beauty within a rather short distance of each other)
* Generally good highways that are wide and well maintained

The cons:
* Lacking in competitive jobs/salaries
* Economy too reliant on real estate, snowbirds, and retirees
* The seemingly endless summer heat in many parts of the state
* Dryness/lack of moisture/abundance of sun (this does get monotonous after a while)
* Activist NIMBYs who protest anything and everything that equates to development & progress

Unread 02-08-2011, 08:19 AM

142 posts, read 339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Just a reminder that this is the Arizona forum. While true for Phoenix, very little of what is written here applies to Arizona as a whole. For example, in northern Arizona, we don't have traffic, we do have large lots, but we don't have much in the way of shopping and restaurants. In central AZ, life is somewhere between northern AZ and Phoenix. It's a very big and diverse state.
True, but since the OP said he wanted to have access to the Phoenix Suns, I assumed he was talking the Phoenix area and since they also mentioned the heat as being a known 'con', I assumed again that it was Phoenix or the desert areas.

If we are talking about the whole state, though, I could go on and on about how wonderful it is. The state of AZ is what keeps me here in the desert, not Phoenix itself. I LOVE AZ and the various climates, activities, and the views! My husband and I talk often of relocating, just to get out of the summer heat, and all I think about is buying a cabin up north somewhere so I can have the best of both worlds here in Arizona. He wants to live near the ocean, though, so someday down the road I may have to give up our beloved state or just keep a condo here, haha!

Unread 03-07-2011, 07:56 AM

15,149 posts, read 17,218,892 times
Pros:

1. Sunshine, glorious sunshine
2. Clean,fresh new appearance (Phoenix area)
3. Several life zones from low desert to alpine on public lands
4. Year round outdoor opportunities
5. Low property taxes

Cons:

1. Horrible right-wing legislature and moron governor
2. Too many skinflint, me-first, retirees leading to crappy education system and services
3. Too many illegal aliens
4. Hard water.
5. Biggest: way too crowded and congested for my liking especially PHX, but really everywhere anymore.

Unread 03-07-2011, 08:47 AM

6,074 posts, read 9,161,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Cons:

5. Biggest: way too crowded and congested for my liking especially PHX, but really everywhere anymore.
That is an irresponsibly inaccurate statement. The only two places in Arizona that are crowed are the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas. The rest of the huge state of Arizona is sparsely populated. I think you need to get out more. The rest of your cons I generally agree with but don't find them to be a huge problem.

Unread 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM

15,149 posts, read 17,218,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That is an irresponsibly inaccurate statement. The only two places in Arizona that are crowed are the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas. The rest of the huge state of Arizona is sparsely populated. I think you need to get out more. The rest of your cons I generally agree with but don't find them to be a huge problem.
My opinion. I made that clear. I suspect my tolerance and definition of crowding is much lower than yours. It has changed dramatically in the 40 years I have been here. Used to be easy to get away from people. Now, there is virtually no chance that somebody else is not at your spot before you get there.

Why not make your own list instead of criticizing mine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona