Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:32 AM

6 posts, read 24,210 times

Advertisements

We toured through the new development in Estrella and were impressed with the services and the amenties that the community has to offer. However, when we inquired if there were any jewish families, we were told that they didn't know. I do have a list of temples and it seems that the closest one is 39 minutes away but I would love to find out if there are any jewish families with young children in this development. We are looking to relocate out of Southern California. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Very interesting post, Esterbrook

Just out of curiosity . . . why is this important and/or relative?

! ! ! !

Old 07-23-2007, 01:08 AM

It's important for us to be around other families that have similiar interests etc. We noticed there are a few churches around there but no temples.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esterbrook View Post
We toured through the new development in Estrella and were impressed with the services and the amenties that the community has to offer. However, when we inquired if there were any jewish families, we were told that they didn't know. I do have a list of temples and it seems that the closest one is 39 minutes away but I would love to find out if there are any jewish families with young children in this development. We are looking to relocate out of Southern California. Thanks.
I doubt very much that sales staff are willing or able to answer that question. For them to comment about the religious affiliations of residents would just put them at too much risk for a lawsuit of the grounds of religious discrimination. The list of temples is probably the safest way for them to answer. I'd suggest calling the nearest temple and seeing if any of its members make the long trip from Estrella.

Last edited by exit2lef; 07-23-2007 at 10:51 AM..

Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 AM

I thought that this forum might have some residents or maybe know of some which is why I posted this. While giving me a list was their safest way to answer, they were not shy on the church that is on the property etc. Thanks for the suggestion, I will call them today.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:46 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esterbrook View Post
There are very few Jews that live in the southwest valley. I'm sure there are some here and there, but you're not going to find a Jewish "community" there. Estrella Mountain Ranch is a very nice development, but most of the west valley is very ghetto-- it's basically the equivalent of the "Inland Empire" area of southern california. The only synagogue in the west valley I know of is in Sun City West, the retirement community. You're going to have to look at north-central Phoenix, central Scottsdale, north Scottsdale, south Tempe, or Chandler, to find the community you're looking for. And I agree with silverbear-- you won't get an answer to your question by asking the realtors-- or even on this message board. Don't be so naive. This is Phoenix-- the chances that in any given subdivision you'll wind up with little kids right down the street of the exact religious demographic you're looking for is slim. Your best bet would be to call the synagogues and JCC's, tell them you're relocating to Phoenix, and ask them for their recommendations.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
There are very few Jews that live in the southwest valley. I'm sure there are some here and there, but you're not going to find a Jewish "community" there. Estrella Mountain Ranch is a very nice development, but most of the west valley is very ghetto-- it's basically the equivalent of the "Inland Empire" area of southern california. The only synagogue in the west valley I know of is in Sun City West, the retirement community. You're going to have to look at north-central Phoenix, central Scottsdale, north Scottsdale, south Tempe, or Chandler, to find the community you're looking for. And I agree with silverbear-- you won't get an answer to your question by asking the realtors-- or even on this message board. Don't be so naive. This is Phoenix-- the chances that in any given subdivision you'll wind up with little kids right down the street of the exact religious demographic you're looking for is slim. Your best bet would be to call the synagogues and JCC's, tell them you're relocating to Phoenix, and ask them for their recommendations.
Wow, some bold statements. First, how in the world do you know that there aren't that many jewish families in the west valley?? Do you have a list of where they all live? That is one of the craziest statements I've seen on here. Jewish families can be anywhere.

Secondly, do we really want to go there with the west valley? You have lived here how long as an ASU student? The west valley isn't just ghetto. Sure there is a lot of it that is, but so is the east valley. Like everywhere in the metro area, there are good and bad on the same side of town. I'm getting SO tired of the bashing that goes on from "eastsiders" about the westside. I've lived here my whole life and my impression of the eastside of town has always been bad, much worse than the westside, but I don't go around spreading that every chance I get. Give me a break!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Wow, some bold statements. First, how in the world do you know that there aren't that many jewish families in the west valley?? Do you have a list of where they all live? That is one of the craziest statements I've seen on here. Jewish families can be anywhere.

Secondly, do we really want to go there with the west valley? You have lived here how long as an ASU student? The west valley isn't just ghetto. Sure there is a lot of it that is, but so is the east valley. Like everywhere in the metro area, there are good and bad on the same side of town. I'm getting SO tired of the bashing that goes on from "eastsiders" about the westside. I've lived here my whole life and my impression of the eastside of town has always been bad, much worse than the westside, but I don't go around spreading that every chance I get. Give me a break!
Ok, calm down sablebaby-- normally I enjoy your posts! First off, I am Jewish, so I do have an idea of what I'm talking about. I didn't say there are NO Jewish families that live in Estrella Mountain ranch, I just said there aren't likely to be that many... compared to the other areas I mentioned. Certainly not enough for a synagogue to form-- at least not yet. This is a known fact-- Jews are not evenly scattered in every place in America and the world. They tend to concentrate in major metropolitan areas, and certain parts of town within those cities. Phoenix is no exception. A lot of American Jews couldn't care less about religion, and will live wherever they please. There is nothing wrong with that-- this is a free country! For many others, though, having an organized Jewish community IS a concern-- and in fact, a quality-of-life issue. It all depends on the person, but living in Estrella Mountain Ranch MIGHT be socially isolating-- and that could be true for people of any religion. EMR is a LONG ways out from the core of the Phoenix metro area. I'm not telling the original poster not to live there, I'm just giving the original poster a head's up.

Second, the part of the west valley where you live IS really nice. North Glendale/ North Peoria, right? No one is going to dispute that. The Sun Cities are also really nice, for people who happen to be 55+. Surprise is okay (for now, at least). Some of the newer developments in the west valley that back up to mountains truly are beautiful. Estrella Mountain Ranch, Verrado, Tartesso-- I'm sure there are more I haven't even seen yet. But by and large, we are talking about one scary area. Have you ever driven along Grand Ave from the Agua Fria to downtown? Ever heard of Van Buren St? Buckeye Rd? McDowell? Thomas? Indian School? The list goes on and on. These are absolutely scary areas, with gangs, violence, and shootings practically every day. And it's practically all illegal immigrants from Mexico in certain neighborhoods. The worst of the crime is in West Phoenix, but the sludge of all this trash is pushing westward into Avondale. Even areas really far out, like El Mirage, are a total dump. I'm not saying that the East Valley is all better-- there is a lot to watch out there too. I'm just as critical about Central Phoenix and the East Valley too-- did you see my other post today?

All I'm saying, going back to the OP, is that religious communities, of any denomination, take a long time to form. The new and nice developments on the outskirts of the west valley bordering the mountians are just that-- nice and new. Only time will tell if organized Jewish communities will establish themselves there. And by the way, my hunch is that far more likely to occur in the northwest valley where you live than in the Avondale/Goodyear/Buckeye area. There have to be pioneers, of course, otherwise this world would be nothing. But for people like the OP who want a particular type of community RIGHT NOW, who aren't that patient, there are better directions to steer towards.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:13 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Ok, calm down sablebaby-- normally I enjoy your posts! First off, I am Jewish, so I do have an idea of what I'm talking about. I didn't say there are NO Jewish families that live in Estrella Mountain ranch, I just said there aren't likely to be that many... compared to the other areas I mentioned. Certainly not enough for a synagogue to form-- at least not yet. This is a known fact-- Jews are not evenly scattered in every place in America and the world. They tend to concentrate in major metropolitan areas, and certain parts of town within those cities. Phoenix is no exception. A lot of American Jews couldn't care less about religion, and will live wherever they please. There is nothing wrong with that-- this is a free country! For many others, though, having an organized Jewish community IS a concern-- and in fact, a quality-of-life issue. It all depends on the person, but living in Estrella Mountain Ranch MIGHT be socially isolating-- and that could be true for people of any religion. EMR is a LONG ways out from the core of the Phoenix metro area. I'm not telling the original poster not to live there, I'm just giving the original poster a head's up.

Second, the part of the west valley where you live IS really nice. North Glendale/ North Peoria, right? No one is going to dispute that. The Sun Cities are also really nice, for people who happen to be 55+. Surprise is okay (for now, at least). Some of the newer developments in the west valley that back up to mountains truly are beautiful. Estrella Mountain Ranch, Verrado, Tartesso-- I'm sure there are more I haven't even seen yet. But by and large, we are talking about one scary area. Have you ever driven along Grand Ave from the Agua Fria to downtown? Ever heard of Van Buren St? Buckeye Rd? McDowell? Thomas? Indian School? The list goes on and on. These are absolutely scary areas, with gangs, violence, and shootings practically every day. And it's practically all illegal immigrants from Mexico in certain neighborhoods. The worst of the crime is in West Phoenix, but the sludge of all this trash is pushing westward into Avondale. Even areas really far out, like El Mirage, are a total dump. I'm not saying that the East Valley is all better-- there is a lot to watch out there too. I'm just as critical about Central Phoenix and the East Valley too-- did you see my other post today?

All I'm saying, going back to the OP, is that religious communities, of any denomination, take a long time to form. The new and nice developments on the outskirts of the west valley bordering the mountians are just that-- nice and new. Only time will tell if organized Jewish communities will establish themselves there. And by the way, my hunch is that far more likely to occur in the northwest valley where you live than in the Avondale/Goodyear/Buckeye area. There have to be pioneers, of course, otherwise this world would be nothing. But for people like the OP who want a particular type of community RIGHT NOW, who aren't that patient, there are better directions to steer towards.
OK, I see what you are saying. I guess I needed a little more info from your post to understand why you said what you did about jewish communities. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I guess the thing that got me was another comment about the "west side" which is large and cannot be generalized completely. Especially for those who are coming on here to learn about areas, they really don't know about specifics and when people just say the "west valley" then that's what they will take away. It sounds like you are talking about Maryvale and areas around there. Yes, I agree that is not a good place. But, for the sake of those who don't know what areas are good, please be more specific and not generalize a whole side of town. It gets me a little upset to generalize an entire side of town to be bad or ghetto, because it's simply not.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
OK, I see what you are saying. I guess I needed a little more info from your post to understand why you said what you did about jewish communities. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I guess the thing that got me was another comment about the "west side" which is large and cannot be generalized completely. Especially for those who are coming on here to learn about areas, they really don't know about specifics and when people just say the "west valley" then that's what they will take away. It sounds like you are talking about Maryvale and areas around there. Yes, I agree that is not a good place. But, for the sake of those who don't know what areas are good, please be more specific and not generalize a whole side of town. It gets me a little upset to generalize an entire side of town to be bad or ghetto, because it's simply not.
Ok, I'm sorry about saying that. In the future, I'll specify the specific area of each municipality I'm talking about, rather than generalizing about the "west valley." I've been to the beautiful area by Thunderbird Park by 59th ave and Pinnacle Peak Rd, and there is just no way that can be lumped together with El Mirage. Sawww-reee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona