U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM

278 posts, read 465,915 times

Advertisements

AZ and Cali and Az and vegas?
i know it says 65mph but many ppl werent obeying it including myself at times
i did not see a cop or anything on those lonely roads i think called nevada hwy or something cant remember.
I did see a couple of truckes with cameras on my way to cali 2 months ago. Other than that some ppl were going 120mph almost double lol

Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,440,352 times
On I-10 from Buckeye to the CA border the posted speed limit is 75. You will get occasional patrols out there, but some people do use the stretch to open up their vehicles. The times that I've made the trip people generally were going around 80-85 with the occasional vehicle pressing through.

Once into CA where it drops to 65 and towns are more frequent things slowed down a bit.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM

9,458 posts, read 17,475,246 times
There are all manners of speed traps along these lonely highways out in the deserts. Trust me. If you speed more than 10 MPH over the limit, you will eventually get bagged and ticketed, often where you least expect it. In fact lately they've been stopping folks for going 5 MPH+ over the speed limit and giving out warnings. I *believe* this is part of the crack-down on illegals; they really want any excuse these days to pull over cars to look for suspicious looking people. Consequently, the only safe speed not to get pulled over is to drive no more than 4 MPH over the speed limit. It kills me to travel at that speed, but it is what it is.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM

wow i got lucky then lol theres was no one on the roads so i was at 100 for about an hour or more then me and this other car were just entertaining eachother so we wouldnt get bored on the road.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
There are all manners of speed traps along these lonely highways out in the deserts. Trust me. If you speed more than 10 MPH over the limit, you will eventually get bagged and ticketed, often where you least expect it. In fact lately they've been stopping folks for going 5 MPH+ over the speed limit and giving out warnings. I *believe* this is part of the crack-down on illegals; they really want any excuse these days to pull over cars to look for suspicious looking people. Consequently, the only safe speed not to get pulled over is to drive no more than 4 MPH over the speed limit. It kills me to travel at that speed, but it is what it is.
I don't necessarily think that's the motive. Small town road side police have always tried to make money on those passing through their jurisdiction and have often taken liberties.

DPS has a newer head and while against speed cameras he's all about visibility.

I had a buddy ticketed on the way to NV for going 8mph over. White as can be with MN plates. I'm sure they knew that it would be easy money.

Also, there is nothing they can do even if they came across a car full of illegals. It would have to be a federal officer to really have any impact and they have in-land border checkpoints in some areas as it is.

You'll get more revenue from those who have legal status as it's a lot easier to collect.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Here in NYC we can go atleast 8 or 9mph over the limit i always thought it was the same

Old 03-23-2011, 01:42 PM

What you say makes sense, FL. However, that doesn't explain why they are pulling over folks and letting them go with warnings. Heck, I was pulled over at night in the middle of nowhere in southwest Texas, very near the border, for doing 2 MPH over the speed-limit! Of course he let me know, but with the admonishment to slow down. Yeah right, slow down for going 2 MPH over!? The only explanation I can see for that is for checking papers.

That's interesting about your buddy getting ticketed for 8 MPH over though. I'm assuming that was on 93. That's definitely one of those roads that just begs you to go fast on, and the cops know it.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
Here in NYC we can go atleast 8 or 9mph over the limit i always thought it was the same
It was until very recently! I drove to NM and back a few weeks ago and got pulled over and received warnings in both AZ and NM for doing 8 MPH over both times. You WILL get stopped these days for going that speed, but you'll most likely get a warning if you are nice and courteous (as I always am. )

Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
BTW, you don't have 75 MPH speed limits in NYC either. That makes a difference. When we go 10 over, we're doing 85 MPH! If something goes wrong at that speed, very few drivers are capable of dealing with it. That's probably another reason why cops are more inclined to give you less leeway out here.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM

in AZ I've been pulled over twice ..... I think both were fishing trips for the officer involved

the first one I was in the left hand lane on 10 west going the limit or just under ..... i was making up ground on the car in front of me and when I got within a few lengths I pulled over to the unrestricted HOV lane ...... of course the guy next to me was one of those race to slow down types .... next thing I know I'm going 75 and am still door to door with this guy was previously happy to go 60 ........ i punch it up to 85, make the pass and get off the accelerator (he immediately drops way back down) and within moments I have flashing lights

the cop said he had me in the 70s, gave me a written warning and said to slow down even though the roads were pretty wide open and I wasn't going outside of the traffic flow (I was a little upset as I wasn't even wanting to speed.......)

the second time was late at night coming back to my house ....i saw the cop sitting there so I checked to make sure I had everything in order, speed, lights, turn signals, etc ..... i went by him at 40 and he follows me with the lights on ...... i pull over into my neighborhood and we do the dance - he tells me it looks like i was going a little fast ... i asked him what the limit was .... he stated he didn't know, it just seemed like I was going a little fast .... he was fairly upset I was dead sober and a call came in when he was going through my paperwork ...... he just kind of tossed them back at me and said "i have to go"

my brother wasn't so lucky though ...... he has UNM alumni plates on his car and he was in town visiting ...... he got pulled over for reasons that are still unclear and walked away with a full ticket for having a cracked windshield, something that would of been impossible for the cop to see until after the stop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or