U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
16,994 posts, read 20,071,122 times
Reputation: 8905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
People used to talk about the possibility of vacating Iraq as a nation-state and reassigning portions of it to Iran, Syria, Turkey and Saudi Arabia based on tribal affiliations. We could do the same with Arizona based on politico-cultural associations:

These counties become part of New Mexico: Pima, Santa Cruz, Graham, Greenlee, Gila, Navajo and Apache

Utah will take Coconino and Yavapai Counties.

Nevada gets Mohave and La Paz Counties.

Yuma, Maricopa and Pinal Counties become part of the Inland Empire of southern California -- a far east annex of Riverside and San Bernardino.
Much of rural Arizona and Maricopa county is politically and culturally aligned with Utah not the inland empire or NM. If we're breaking it down that way, I'd say just put the whole state in Utah and give Tucson and an the I-19 corridor to the border back to the Mexicans. It would be hard to tell the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 664,282 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
People used to talk about the possibility of vacating Iraq as a nation-state and reassigning portions of it to Iran, Syria, Turkey and Saudi Arabia based on tribal affiliations. We could do the same with Arizona based on politico-cultural associations:

These counties become part of New Mexico: Pima, Santa Cruz, Graham, Greenlee, Gila, Navajo and Apache

Utah will take Coconino and Yavapai Counties.

Nevada gets Mohave and La Paz Counties.

Yuma, Maricopa and Pinal Counties become part of the Inland Empire of southern California -- a far east annex of Riverside and San Bernardino.
Ive been to Parker and Havasu: its more like Cali than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: South Tempe, AZ
13,986 posts, read 16,967,416 times
Reputation: 6238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Much of rural Arizona and Maricopa county is politically and culturally aligned with Utah not the inland empire or NM. If we're breaking it down that way, I'd say just put the whole state in Utah and give Tucson and an the I-19 corridor to the border back to the Mexicans. It would be hard to tell the difference.
Given the recent Utah Compact, I'm not so sure that's true. That state has shown more rational behavior and common sense than certain legislators and our governor have here.

All that said, the split is not happening.
__________________
Terms of Service / FAQ /Information for Realtors
Moderator for Arizona and Nevada forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Status: "Preparing for the future." (set 23 hours ago)
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
2,658 posts, read 1,903,435 times
Reputation: 1548
I am all for State's Rights, but I would REALLY like to see what would happen to Tucson in this situation, the new state would contain 2 Counties (3 if Sierra Vista joins them) and almost half of their territory would be an Indian Reservation and along the Mexican border, what would prevent it from becoming a smuggler's paradise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 AM
 
447 posts, read 278,503 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Mr. Eckerstrom needs to get over himself and take the bitter with the sweet. So he doesn't like the Phoenix area? Well, too bad. Phoenix is the dominant force behind the entire state. Without it, Arizona would be an isolated, sparsely populated state with only Tucson as its only major metro area ... and that's not saying a whole lot.

As AZ Dreamer correctly pointed out, many states are divided on issues. California is one place which has some of the largest division of any other state. L.A. and the Bay Area are the large liberal areas which tend to skew election results heavily, and give the entire state a reputation of being leftist & solid blue. The reality is much of California is moderate or conservative.

Arizona doesn't need to be split into two different states. This idea has been floating around for some time now, and the chances of it actually happening are almost zero.

False. Back it up with proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 04:42 AM
 
447 posts, read 278,503 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm sure much of California would be glad to be rid of Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein, "Moonbeam" Brown, Maxine Waters, etc., but I don't hear anything about part of that state wanting to secede. It's a matter of taking the bitter with the better. It's that way in many other states.

And would you honestly be wanting to pay higher property taxes that would amount to giving more of your money to government bureacracy? Even if the state of Baja Arizona would somehow come to fruition, it's a concept that many people might soon regret. Basically, you're looking at another West Virginia, and the U.S. certainly doesn't need anything like that again!

Clearly we hate them, and that is why they are back in office, again!

I would rather pay higher taxes, honestly. If it means having a better infrastructure, you betcha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
15,952 posts, read 12,135,644 times
Reputation: 7745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I am all for State's Rights, but I would REALLY like to see what would happen to Tucson in this situation, the new state would contain 2 Counties (3 if Sierra Vista joins them) and almost half of their territory would be an Indian Reservation and along the Mexican border, what would prevent it from becoming a smuggler's paradise?
Well actually Pima County deports more illegals than Maricopa and without SB 1070. In fact we have even arrested employers for employing illegals, something unheard of in the rest of the state. That area would include Davis Monthan and Ft Huachuca making DOD the largest employer and Border Patrol probably second. Real Estate values are better in the Baja we would do fine.

Viva Baja Arizona Libre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista
279 posts, read 281,594 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Well actually Pima County deports more illegals than Maricopa and without SB 1070. In fact we have even arrested employers for employing illegals, something unheard of in the rest of the state. That area would include Davis Monthan and Ft Huachuca making DOD the largest employer and Border Patrol probably second. Real Estate values are better in the Baja we would do fine.

Viva Baja Arizona Libre
Having the Federal Government be the largest two employers in a state would be a VERY scary thing to anyone who understands economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Midessa, Texas Home Yangzhou, Jiangsu temporarily
1,507 posts, read 2,709,521 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
California desperately needs tax payers.
That was my first thought when I heard about Baja Arizona. If a bunch of lefties are unhappy with the state government of Arizona why don't they just move to California? That would be much easier than creating a new state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
2,150 posts, read 2,158,542 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
Having the Federal Government be the largest two employers in a state would be a VERY scary thing to anyone who understands economics.
You need to look at the current employment situation before spouting things of that sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
That was my first thought when I heard about Baja Arizona. If a bunch of lefties are unhappy with the state government of Arizona why don't they just move to California? That would be much easier than creating a new state.
Likely because the majority of people in Baja Arizona were there way before the vast majority of people in Maricopa County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top